Horizon house fire under investigation

Gabrielle Lopez

HORIZON CITY, Texas (KVIA) — Thursday, the Horizon City Police Department said its officers found a house on fire in a neighborhood near Eastlake Boulevard and Horizon Mesa Boulevard.

On a Facebook post, HPD said it received calls reporting the fire at 2:45 a.m. Officers went to a house, which was on the 700 block of Desert Silver Drive.

HPD said everyone in the house, including a cat, safely evacuated before first responders got there. No injuries have been reported.

The fire has been put out and the area is secured, according to police.

HPD said the cause of the fire is under investigation.

Click here to follow the original article.

Las Cruces woman killed while trying to stop son’s possible suicide attempt

Gabrielle Lopez

UPDATE (June 3, 2026) — Lopez told police he had been taking methamphetamine and had paranoid thoughts before the shooting, according to documents ABC-7 obtained.

Before the shooting, Lawrence Lopez, his mother, Tina Lucero, and other family members went out for dinner, documents said.

When they got home, Lopez’ brother said Lopez had recently been using methamphetamines and had become increasingly paranoid, according to documents. He reportedly believed people, vehicles and drones followed him, documents said.

According to documents, Lopez admitted to authorities he used methamphetamines and thought he was being followed. Documents said Lopez also thought people hacked his phones.

Lopez reportedly expressed his worries about being followed and other issues while he was at home with his mom, documents said. He told authorities he wanted his family to believe him but “did not feel as if they did.”

He told authorities he sat in a shed and felt he was “just like dying,” according to documents.

Lopez then asked his mom why she wouldn’t believe him, to which she said she did. Documents said he didn’t believe her.

He then reportedly made threats about killing himself, documents said. She later walked off and said she needed air “to get away” from Lopez.

Lopez allegedly followed his mother to the front door of the house and said, “I’m gonna make you remember this for the rest of your life.”

He then allegedly pulled out a gun, and his mother tried to grab it from him, documents said.

The gun fired while the two fought over it, according to documents.

Lopez noticed he shot his hand but also saw blood on his mother’s shirt. He reportedly called 911, documents said.

He also called his brother and said, “the gun went off and hit mom,” documents said.

Officers went to the home and found Lopez with a handgun. Documents said an officer told him to drop the gun and arrested him.

Lucero had a gunshot wound on her chest, according to documents. Her other son tried giving her CPR. She died at the scene.

Lopez went to a medical center for the wound on his hand, according to documents.

UPDATE (5:31 p.m.) — Police charged 32-year-old Lawrence Lopez with one count of involuntary manslaughter, which is a fourth-degree felony. The woman shot and killed Wednesday was his mother, according to LCPD.

Police identified his mother as 58-year-old Tina Lucero.

Lucero died after life-saving measures were attempted.

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (KVIA) — A woman was shot and killed Wednesday and a 32-year-old man was hospitalized after a possible attempted suicide, the Las Cruces Police Department said Thursday.

At about 9:30 p.m., Las Cruces police and fire crews went to a home at Los Ranchitos off Elks Drive after a reported gunshot victim.

First responders found a 58-year-old woman with a gunshot wound, police said. She died to her injuries.

Police said they won’t identify the woman until her family has been notified.

Police arrested the 32-year-old man at the home, according to a news release. He had a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his hand and went to a hospital.

Preliminary investigation revealed the man allegedly threatened to commit suicide and pulled out a handgun.

The woman tried to stop him, according to police, and that’s when the gun fired, hit the man’s hand and killed the woman.

LCPD said the investigation is ongoing and charges are pending. They didn’t identify the man.

Click here to follow the original article.

Plane tied to Mexican drug lords’ arrests on display at War Eagles Air Museum

Heriberto Perez Lara

SANTA TERESA, N.M. (KVIA) — The War Eagles Air Museum will display a plane connected to the arrest of Joaquín Guzmán López and Ismael “El Mayo” Zambada Garcia, one of the founders of the Sinaloa Cartel. The display comes after the museum entered a memorandum of understanding with the FBI El Paso Field Office.

The plane on display brought the two to the Borderland, where they were arrested.

“El Mayo” Zambada Garcia was arrested during a coordinated federal investigation, according to U.S. federal law enforcement agencies. The plane, a King Air aircraft, became a key element of that case.

The son of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzmán Loera, Joaquín Guzmán López, was also arrested.

The museum said the display and partnership with the FBI in the El Paso Field Office teach people how aviation plays a role in crime prevention and criminal use. It has also been nearly two years since Zambada Garcia’s arrest in July 2025.

Visitors can see the plane at the museum, which is at the Dona Ana County International Jetport in Santa Teresa, New Mexico.

You can find more information about museum visits here.

Click here to follow the original article.

CDC monitors ‘severe’ diarrhea-causing illness in US

Nina Gallegos

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is monitoring 145 cases of a parasitic illness, cyclosporiasis, in the United States that can cause severe diarrhea.

Cyclospora is a parasite acquired by ingesting contaminated fresh fruits and vegetables. The resulting illness, cyclosporiasis, is known for causing severe, sometimes “explosive,” diarrhea along with bloating and stomach cramps or pain.

As of June 16, 145 cases of cyclosporiasis have been reported in 17 states in the U.S. with no deaths reported, the CDC said. Forty-five of those cases were in people who ate or draink food or water that made them sick while traveling outside of the U.S.

According to a CDC map showing where the 145 people lived since May 1, 11-30 of them live in Texas. Most of them (31-80) live in New York.

According to the CDC, investigations are looking into potential sources of the illness.

Dr. Armando Meza, Chief of Infectious Diseases at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center in El Paso, explained that cyclosporiasis develops after ingesting contaminated produce.

“It’s a parasite that you can get by ingesting contaminated products, including fresh fruits vegetables,” Dr. Meza said. “And this infection can be pretty severe in some patients.”

Symptoms typically include severe diarrhea, bloating and stomach cramps or pain. Dr. Meza advised seeking medical attention if symptoms persist or worsen.

He said, “if the diarrhea persists, or if at any time there is a blood or the or the fever is present, then you need to seek medical attention right away.”

Certain individuals face a higher risk of complications from cyclosporiasis.

Dr. Meza identified these groups, stating, “Any any individual with a chronic medical condition, diabetes. Any individual who’s taken medications to lower the immune system.” This includes people taking steroids or chemotherapy, or those with cancer.

The severe diarrhea caused by cyclosporiasis can lead to dangerous dehydration.

Dr. Meza highlighted the seriousness of this, explaining, “Diarrhea can make you very dehydrated and dehydration is a very severe condition that you cannot tolerate for very long. So the moment that your body fluids are emptied, you’re going to go into shock.”

Prevention is key to avoiding infection, focusing on food preparation and hygiene. Dr. Meza stressed the importance of cooking produce.

He said, “these vegetables and these fruits, unless they are cooked, that’s the only way that you can make sure that they are not with this parasite.”

He also emphasized cleaning fresh items, advising, “Carefully clean your products, your your vegetables, your fruits. If you can cook your food products, it’s better because that’s the way that you can actually get rid of these parasites.”

For treatment, most mild cases of diarrhea do not require medication and can be managed with supportive care. However, for more severe infections, antibiotics are available.

Dr. Meza stated, “Most of the time, you do not need any treatment, just supportive care. But if you do need treatment, there is antibiotics that can be provided in those antibiotics for weeks will take care of the infection.”

He cautioned against self-prescribing, adding, “You need to really have a diagnosis before antibiotic treatment is really needed.”

Dr. Meza noted that El Paso has not seen reported cases recently, as most cases are self-limited. He mentioned that spring and summer are times when people might deviate from their usual patterns, increasing the need for careful self-care.

The cyclosporiasis season is considered May 1-Aug. 31, which is when cases rise, the CDC said.

The CDC encourages healthcare providers and the public to inform local health departments about potential cases and clusters of the disease so appropriate action can be taken to prevent additional cases.

This is a developing story.

Click here to follow the original article.

El Paso Zoo animals beat the heat with ‘blood-sicles,’ tea pops

Mia Tricarico

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) – It’s popsicle season, not just for us but for the animals at El Paso Zoo too. Zoo keepers have gotten creative with beating the heat this summer, animals can enjoy a tasty, chilled treat. 

 The zoo is home to hundreds of species representing regions worldwide, from Asia and Africa to the local Chihuahuan Desert.

With temperatures reaching high 90’s and triple digits, The zoo relies on a combination of cooling tactics such as misting systems, ice piles, air-conditioned dens and water features.

Heather Rivera, an education specialist at El Paso Zoo said, “All of our animals get that love and attention. If there’s a geriatric animal, just like anything, like how we would treat our senior citizens, you always want to make sure that they’re not being more affected by the elements.”

 They also get to enjoy a classic, human-like dessert!  Zoo keepers cater to each species’ diet. Carnivores enjoy ‘blood-sicles’, and the plant eaters indulge in fruit/vegetable and tea pops. 

Preparing these icy treats is no small task. ABC-7 got the chance to go behind the scenes to see how they are prepared.

Nick Rios, El Paso Zoo’s lead commissary showed us each of the ingredients, they ranged from carrots, apples, milk, fish and raw beef. After combining some ingredients with water or milk they are then placed into a walk-in-freezer that is set at negative 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

After the mixtures spend some time in the freezer, the “zoo pop” is ready to be served or thrown into each habitat.

The treats don’t only act as a cooling agent but also an enrichment tool.

ABC-7 visited each exhibit to see how the animals interacted with the frozen snacks.

Click here to follow the original article.

See ‘Selena’ director Gregory Nava, actress Ann-Margret at the Plaza Classic Film Festival

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — Filmmaker Gregory Nava and actress Ann-Margret will visit El Paso for the 19th annual El Paso Community Foundation Plaza Classic Film Festival. Both will have special appearances alongside screenings of some of their iconic movies at the Plaza Theatre.

Nava will appear with two of his best-known films, “Selena” and “El Norte.” Tickets for both showings are $10, according to EPCF.

Fans can see Nava and “Selena” July 24 at 7 p.m. There will also be a free lecture about the movie at 6 p.m.

“El Norte” will show July 25 at 3 p.m. The movie follows Guatemalan siblings’ immigration journey.

During the film festival, he’ll receive the Plaza Classic Award for Career Achievement, EPCF said.

Ann-Margret is known for the 1963 musical “Bye Bye Birdie” and the 1975 musical “Tommy.” At the film festival, she’ll have sit-down interviews at the Plaza Theatre before both movies.

EPCF said tickets for “Bye Bye Birdie” are $20 and her interview is set for July 17 at 7 p.m. There will be a free lecture before the movie at 6 p.m.

Tickets for “Tommy” are $10 and is scheduled for July 18 at 3:30 p.m.

This year, EPCF Plaza Classic Film Festival starts July 16 and ends July 26. The foundation said it will show more than 100 films.

Beyond movies, the festival has free outdoor concerts, family programming and local filmmaker showcases.

The full film festival schedule and ticket information can be found here.

Click here to follow the original article.

4th suspect in Young Park mass shooting in court

Carpio Griego

DONA ANA COUNTY, New Mexico (KVIA) — The trial for the last of the four teens accused of a mass shooting that left three dead began Wednesday afternoon. Gustavo Dominguez was 17 years old at the time and faces three counts of first-degree murder.

The mass shooting happened at Young Park on March 21, 2025, three teen died as a result. 16-year-old Andrew Madrid, 17-year-old Jason Gomez, and 18-year-old Dominick Estrada. The shooting also injured more than a dozen people who were attending an unsanctioned car show at the park.

Prosecutors showed bodycam footage from Las Cruces Police Sergeant Derek Duran. He said it was “chaos” when he arrived at the shooting scene as everyone tried to leave at the same time either by car or by foot.

The video showed a man who yelled, “It was the Riveras! I know it!”

Bodycam video also showed Duran and another officer treating gunshot wounds.

In February, brothers Tomas and Nathan Rivas were convicted of three counts of first-degree murder.

In April, the third and youngest suspect, Josiah Ontiveros, was convicted of three counts of first-degree murder and not guilty on conspiracy charges.

Click here to follow the original article.

More than 57 pounds of methamphetamine seized, hidden in SUV at Paso Del Norte bridge

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers seized more than 57 pounds of methamphetamine at the Paso Del Norte Port of Entry. The drugs had an estimated street value of $521,100, according to CBP.

June 18 just after noon, a woman with U.S. citizenship tried to cross from Mexico, CBP said in a news release. Officers chose her SUV for a second inspection and found bundles of methamphetamine hidden.

Officers confiscated the SUV and narcotics. CBP said federal authorities took the woman into custody.

In total, officers found 57.9 pounds of methamphetamine.

Click here to follow the original article.

Team USA fans show unity watching Round of 32 victory at Cleveland Square Park watch party

Max Zepeda

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — Across the Borderland, fans of Team USA gathered to watch the Stars and Stripes represent their country in the FIFA World Cup. As the team’s surprising success in the tournament has continued, the attention and attendance of watch parties across El Paso has grown with each passing match.

Now, for the second consecutive night and the fourth time in the last two weeks, Cleveland Square Park in Downtown will be filled with avid soccer fans, as the El Paso Parks & Recreation Department hosts another free watch party of the tournament.

The watch party starts at 5:30 p.m., according to the city.

Wednesday, Team USA will take on Bosnia & Herzegovina in the Round of 32, as the Red, White & Blue look to win a “knockout round” match at the World Cup for the first time since 2002, when the Americans reached the quarterfinals.

El Paso Parks & Rec. set the watch party alongside the Mexican American Culture Center, in which the match will be displayed on the building’s large outdoor screen.

Fans are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets to be comfortable on the park’s greenery, as well to wear your red, white, and blue to “enjoy an exciting evening filled with soccer, community spirit, and an unforgettable atmosphere surrounded by fellow fans,” according to the city.

Click here to follow the original article.

El Paso ISD unanimously votes to take applications to fill 2 board seats

Gabrielle Lopez

UPDATE (6:15 p.m.) — EPISD’s board unanimously voted to accept applications from community members to fill vacancies.

Board members Jack Loveridge, Alex Cuellar and General Counsel Cezy Collins proposed announcing applications online and through a media release Wednesday.

From July 2-27 they would accept applications and review them. T

hen during the week of Aug. 3, the district will host a special meeting to interview candidates.

The interview process will be open to the public and the board will interview candidates separately.

Trustee Cuellar made the motion to approve the process, Trustee Sutton seconded the motion and the vote was unanimous. Superintendent Brian Lusk attended the vote virtually.

According to the Texas elections code, Texas education code and common law, the candidate has to fill these requirements:

Must be 18 years or older

A U.S. citizen

A qualified voter

Resident of the district (6 or 7) for six months before applying

Must not be a district employee

Must be of “sound mind” (not being adjudged totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated)

The candidates who meet the requirements will move forward to the evaluation process, where their qualifications will be reviewed.

Finalists will be a part of the forum and participate in a question-and-answer interview portion during the week of Aug. 3-7.

The board said the process will run through the first week of school. Since quorum is vital, the board said the dates for the process had to be set now to ensure all board members could attend.

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — Wednesday, the El Paso Independent School District Board of Trustees will discuss the next steps to fill two vacancies on its board.

Former board members Daniel Call and Valerie Beals announced their resignations shortly after the district voted to declare financial exigency, which is similar to bankruptcy for educational institutions.

During the June 4 vote, Call was the only member to vote against the declaration. Beals was absent.

EPISD held the vote when it dealt with a multi-million dollar deficit. The district’s board later voted to cut 54 teacher positions by June 15 to bring its deficit down to $4 million.

The district has two options to Call and Beals’ spots:

Call for a special election, which could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Appoint two community members to serve their unexpired terms.

This is a developing story.

Click here to follow the original article.