How much do Coachella Valley residents know about Juneteenth?

Dakota Makinen

COACHELLA VALLEY, Calif. (KESQ) — As communities across the country prepare to celebrate Juneteenth, News Channel 3 took to the streets to find out how much local residents know about the holiday and its significance in American history.

Some events taking place this weekend to celebrate Juneteenth:

Juneteenth Pageant

Join the Palm Springs Black History Committee for the 2026 Juneteenth Pageant: A Century of Black History Commemorations an evening celebrating Black culture, history, excellence, and community.

The event takes place June 20, 2026th, Doors Open at 5:30 PM, with the pageant Beginning at 6:00 PM at the James O. Jessie Desert Highland Unity Center.

This special event serves as a fundraiser supporting the Palm Springs Black History Committee’s ongoing community initiatives and programs. Tickets are available online and at the door.

Juneteenth Concert

Music, Culture & Community Take Center Stage at Sunset Music and Education Foundation’s Joyful Juneteenth Celebration at XOXO Palm Springs.

The Sunset Music and Education Foundation’s (SMEF) Juneteenth Celebration during XOXO Palm Springs, is bringing an afternoon of music, storytelling, poetry, dance, live jazz, and community spirit to Revolution Stage Company on Saturday, June 20, from 2–4 PM.

Doors open at 1:30 at the Revolution Stage Company.

Stay with News Channel 3 for continuing coverage of Juneteenth celebrations and the latest updates.

Click here to follow the original article.

Fire damages Hamachi Sushi Restaurant in Cathedral City

María García

CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. — A fire caused moderate damage to the Hamachi Sushi restaurant in Cathedral City late Thursday night, prompting an overnight response from local firefighters.

The fire was reported shortly after 11 p.m. at the restaurant near the intersection of Ramon Road and Date Palm Drive. Fire crews responded quickly and worked through the night to contain and extinguish the flames.

According to firefighters at the scene, the blaze caused moderate damage inside the restaurant. Officials said there was no fire or water damage reported to neighboring businesses within the commercial complex.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Firefighters were expected to remain at the location for an additional one to two hours before clearing the scene.

No injuries have been reported at this time. Additional details are expected to be released as the investigation continues.

Click here to follow the original article.

Palm Desert looks to extend outdoor patio regulations for restaurants

Athena Jreij

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ) – The city of Palm Desert is looking to extend it’s guidelines for outdoor dining patios, after public outcry to keep the additions.

Local restaurants have feared changes to the city’s regulations on the covid-era patios, as they neared a June 30th deadline.

“It makes a big impact on sales, on our servers and guests if we don’t have an outdoor patio when the weather’s beautiful, we don’t get a lot of action,” Kitchen 86 general manager Travis Morgan said.

After a city council meeting last week, city officials now say they’ll extend the guidelines for a year, while looking into more permanent regulations to keep the outdoor dining spaces.

“Existing compliant operators just have to resubmit application making sure that they’re going to continue to the exact same thing and get property owner approval on it,” Carlos Flores, Deputy Director of Development Services for Palm Desert said.

For some, it comes too late, with Kitchen 86’s patio one of the last standing on El Paseo.

“Last summer when they decided to do the construction, they used that opportunity to basically take all outdoor dining away. Mama Gina’s, Armando’s, Daily Grill, which again changed the whole face of El Paseo,” Morgan said.

Just down the street at Little Bar, owner Skip Paige says he’s facing new obstacles to renewing his permit.

Paige claims criteria passed in October now requires his landlord’s approval of the deck, making them financially responsible for any damage on the public property. It’s a barrier he worries could take away the beloved addition.

“They do have a permit and an agreement that they need to sign off on. There are terms within their in terms of liability if there is an incident or if there’s anything that their infrastructure does on our property,” Flores said.

Still, the city says public outcry is pushing them to find long-term solutions.

Click here to follow the original article.

OneFuture conference helps students beyond scholarships

Kiera Seapy

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ)- More than 250 scholars from across the Coachella Valley gathered at the UCR Palm Desert for the OneFuture student leadership conference.

“OneFuture is focused on students finishing their degrees and then moving on to the career or even graduate school. That is their dream. And so for us to be able to help students do that, we provide, yes, the money. But as importantly, and maybe even more important is what’s called holistic support services” said Sheila Thornton, the president and CEO of OneFuture Coachella Valley.

The support includes mentorship, leadership training, and career guidance that is designed to help students not onlt enter college but also complete their degree and move into the future.

Janelly Martinez-Sanchez, a OneFuture Scholar and a master’s student says “It means a lot just because money is very tight. It really does help me and my education.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Impact Grant: Pathfinder Ranch

Peter Daut

MOUNTAIN CENTER, Calif. (KESQ) – News Channel 3 and the H.N. and Frances C. Berger Foundation presented another Impact Grant to improve lives and help those in need. A $25,000 charitable gift was awarded to Pathfinder Ranch to support camp scholarships for Coachella Valley children, as well as the camp’s horse program.

Nestled in the mountains of Mountain Center, Pathfinder Ranch is giving children a chance to unplug, explore nature, and create lifelong memories.

The summer camp, which serves children ages 7 to 14, offers a wide range of outdoor activities, including rock climbing, horseback riding, canoeing, hiking, archery, and more.

Ten-year-old camper Abigail Fargo said being surrounded by nature is one of her favorite parts of the experience.

“I love it,” Fargo said. “I love nature, and I love going on hikes and playing outside. It’s really fun.”

Pathfinder Ranch is dedicated to helping children from diverse backgrounds build confidence, develop new skills, and form lasting friendships through outdoor experiences.

Camper Iker Ayon said he has already learned several new activities during his time at camp.

“I learned how to rock climb, I learned how to do archery in the archery range,” Ayon said. Although he initially struggled with some of the activities, he said he eventually figured them out and had fun in the process.

Founded in 1964, Pathfinder Ranch was originally created to provide Coachella Valley children with an escape from the desert heat. Over the decades, it has grown into a year-round destination offering summer camps, outdoor education programs, and retreats, while remaining focused on its mission of connecting people with nature and one another.

“It is a key opportunity for kids to strike out on their own socially and be away from parents,” said Chris Fife, executive director of Pathfinder Ranch. “They’re still in a safe environment where they’re observed, supervised, and guided, but they’re learning a lot of soft skills. Camp provides a different environment than school for that kind of growth.”

That mission recently received a boost thanks to a $25,000 Impact Grant from the H.N. and Frances C. Berger Foundation and News Channel 3.

The grant will fund camp scholarships for children from the Coachella Valley and help support horse care and equestrian programs at the ranch.

Fife said the funding comes at a critical time as camp operating costs continue to rise.

“It’s a huge help,” Fife said. “The camp, like everything else, is getting more expensive these days, and it’s harder for us to make those scholarship dollars stretch. With this grant, we’re going to be able to add another 29 full scholarships, and that’s 29 kids who probably wouldn’t be able to make it here.”

For Fargo, the grant means more children will have the opportunity to enjoy the same experiences she has had this summer.

“I’m really excited because kids also get to have fun like us this summer,” she said.

In addition to its summer sleepaway camp, Pathfinder Ranch operates outdoor education programs that serve students from across Southern California.

More information about Pathfinder Ranch can be found at pathfinderranch.com

Click here to follow the original article.

Stolen vehicle pursuit ends with arrest in Palm Springs area

Tommy Gallegos

A suspect was arrested Thursday afternoon following a pursuit involving a stolen vehicle through the Coachella Valley, according to the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office.

At approximately 1:25 p.m., deputies located a stolen vehicle in the area of Bob Hope Drive and Casino Drive and attempted to conduct a traffic stop. Sheriff’s say the driver failed to yield, prompting deputies to initiate a pursuit.

During the chase, the vehicle briefly stopped near Bob Hope Drive and Dinah Shore Drive, where a passenger exited the vehicle. The driver then continued fleeing from deputies through the city.

The pursuit came to an end in the area of Gene Autry Trail and Vista Chino, where the suspect abandoned the vehicle and attempted to flee on foot. Deputies quickly apprehended the suspect, who was taken into custody without incident.

Authorities searched for the passenger who exited earlier in the pursuit but were unable to locate the individual. Investigators are working to identify that person.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Click here to follow the original article.

RSO deputy charged with vehicular manslaughter for deadly on-duty crash near Beaumont

Jesus Reyes

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KESQ) – A Riverside County Sheriff’s deputy has been officially charged with vehicular manslaughter after a deadly on-duty crash last year near the Beaumont area.

Deputy Glynn Wilburn, 42, was charged Wednesday, the Riverside County District Attorney’s office announced.

In addition to Gross Vehicular Manslaughter, Wilburn, of the Cabazon station, has been charged with Felony Reckless Driving Causing Serious Injury and Great Bodily Injury Enhancement.

An arraignment date has not been scheduled at this time. There was no record of Wilburn in county jail records.

The crash happened on the afternoon of Sept. 7, 2025, on Cherry Valley Boulevard and Roberts Street.

According to the investigation, Wilburn was responding with lights and sirens from Beaumont to reports of shots fired in Calimesa. While traveling on Cherry Valley Boulevard at speeds of approximately 100 mph, Wilburn entered an intersection and collided with a vehicle at approximately 71 mph.

Photos from CHP report provided by Panish | Shea | Ravipudi LLP

The driver of the vehicle, 21-year-old Gavin Hinkley, was killed, and his fiancée, Madeline Fox, who was a passenger, suffered severe injuries. The couple was weeks away from their wedding.

Gavin Hinkley and Madeline Fox

According to the DA’s news release, moments before the collision, dispatch had confirmed there were no reported injuries, the suspect vehicle had left the scene, and deputies had already arrived at the location of the reported shooting.

The families of Hinkley and Fox filed a lawsuit last month against Wilburn, RSO, and Riverside County. Attorneys allege that paramedics treated Wilburn first, delaying care to the more critically injured victims.

STATEMENT FROM MELISSA AND JASON FOX:

We are grateful that the Riverside County District Attorney has taken this important step and filed criminal charges on behalf of Gavin and Madeline. While we know this is far from over, today’s action gives us hope that the justice system is moving in the right direction and that accountability will ultimately prevail.

What happened to Gavin and Madeline was preventable. Riverside County Sheriff’s Deputy Glynn Wilburn was entrusted with significant authority and responsibility, and he understood the obligations that come with operating an emergency vehicle. While law enforcement officers are granted certain statutory privileges, those privileges exist only when exercised with due regard for the safety of others. No badge, title, or position should place anyone above accountability, especially when reckless actions result in such devastating consequences.

At its core, this case is about justice. Gavin and Madeline deserved the opportunity to build the life they had planned together, and that opportunity was taken from them. As this case moves forward, we pray that the justice system does not fail them or our families. We hope this sends a clear message that those entrusted to protect the public must also be held accountable when their actions cause unimaginable harm.

STATEMENT FROM LAUREN AND CORY HINKLEY:

Today’s filing of criminal charges against Riverside County Sheriff’s Deputy Glynn Wilburn is an important step toward accountability for the preventable and reckless actions that took the life of our son, Gavin Hinkley, and forever changed the life of his fiancée, Madeline Fox.

After more than nine months of waiting, we are grateful to the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office, the California Highway Patrol, and the MAIT investigators for their commitment to uncovering the truth and moving this case forward.

Gavin was more than a victim. He was our son, and he was a beloved brother, fiancé, grandson, nephew, cousin, and friend. He was kind, hardworking, and deeply loved by everyone who knew him. He had his entire life ahead of him—a future filled with dreams, plans, and a wedding to the woman he loved. That future was taken from him in an instant. Gavin should still be here.

While no criminal charge can bring Gavin back or undo the devastating impact this tragedy has had on Madeline and our families, today is a meaningful step toward justice. Gavin’s life mattered. Madeline’s life matters. We will continue to honor Gavin’s memory, stand beside Madeline, and fight for the justice they both deserve.

Click here to follow the original article.

Palm Springs Fire Department urge hikers to stay safe hiking during summer

City News Service

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – The Palm Springs Fire Department urged local community members today to use extreme caution when hiking during the summer season following an increase in hiker rescue calls.

The agency stated that dehydration, heat exhaustion and heat stroke may occur if not properly prepared during the extreme heat wave during Coachella Valley’s summer months.

A few symptoms to look out when experiencing any heat-related illness may include dizziness, headache, nausea, muscle cramps, weakness, confusion or fatigue.

Hikers were reminded to stay safe on the trails by hiking early morning, carrying plenty of water and drinking regularly, applying sunscreen, wearing a hat and lightweight clothing, hiking with a partner, bringing a fully charged phone and to turn back if conditions become too difficult.

Click here to follow the original article.

DAP Health to donate holocaust artifacts to Tolerance Education Center

Dakota Makinen

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. (KESQ) – Two Holocaust-related artifacts discovered among donated items at a local Revivals resale store will be donated to the Tolerance Education Center in Rancho Mirage Thursday.

According to DAP Health, volunteers sorting donations found a Star of David badge and paper currency from the Lodz Ghetto dating back to 1940. The items were recently dropped off at a Revivals store and identified as artifacts connected to the Holocaust.

DAP Health CEO David Brinkman will formally present the artifacts to the Tolerance Education Center during a Rancho Mirage City Council meeting.

The artifacts will be preserved and used for educational purposes at the center.

Stay with News Channel 3 for the latest updates.

Click here to follow the original article.

World Cup highlights local pride in Mexican culture and identity

Luis Avila

COACHELLA VALLEY, Calif. (KESQ) – As Mexico prepares to face South Korea in the FIFA World Cup match tonight, fans across the Coachella Valley are gearing up to cheer them on.

For many Mexican Americans, the World Cup is about more than soccer. It’s a celebration of culture, family, and identity. Across the valley, fans are expected to gather at homes, restaurants, and watch parties to support Mexico on the international stage.

With the World Cup being co-hosted by Mexico, many fans say this year’s tournament feels especially meaningful — bringing together their American lives and Mexican heritage on soccer’s biggest stage.

Stay with News Channel 3 for more.

Click here to follow the original article.