Average Riverside County gas price drops for 40th time in 41 days

City News Service

RIVERSIDE (CNS) – The average price of a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline in Riverside County dropped today for the 40th time in 41 days, falling 2.6 cents to $5.261, its lowest amount since March 11.

The average price has dropped 79.4 cents over the past 41 days, including three-tenths of a cent Monday, according to figures from the AAA and Oil Price Information Service. It dropped 18 consecutive days, was unchanged June 8 and resumed decreasing the following day.

The average price is 12.5 cents less than one week ago and 66.3 cents lower than one month ago, but 84.9 cents more than one year ago. The national average price dropped for the 39th time in 40 days, falling 1.3 cents to $3.847, its lowest amount since March 18. It is 7.9 cents less than one week ago and 50.9 cents lower than one month ago, but 66.1 cents more than one year ago.

The national average price has dropped 71.7 cents over the past 40 days, including seven-tenths of a cent Monday. It decreased 33 consecutive days, rose two-tenths of a cent Wednesday and resumed decreasing Thursday.

“Average gasoline prices fell in 46 states over the last week,” Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy, which provides real-time gas price information from more than 150,000 stations, said in a statement released Monday.

“The declines came despite a turbulent week, as fresh attacks were traded between the U.S. and Iran before both sides agreed to halt hostilities just in time Sunday, preventing what could have been a significant spike in oil prices.“For now, GasBuddy anticipates the national average will continue drifting lower this week, though the situation remains anything but predictable.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Law enforcement outlines the ways residents should report illegal fireworks

Gavin Nguyen

RIVERSIDE COUNTY, Calif. (KESQ) – Ahead of the Fourth of July, law enforcement wants to be clear: not all live fireworks are an emergency.

The Riverside County Sheriff’s Office posted an announcement to residents of the county on Instagram and said reporting illegal fireworks should not involve calling 911.

“Every second counts when lives are on the line. Help us keep our 9-1-1 lines clear for emergencies.

Please do not call 9-1-1 to report fireworks, instead, use our online reporting form at riversidesheriff.org or call 800-950-2444.

Let’s all work together to keep our communities safe!”

Riverside County Sheriff’s Office

Online portal to report illegal fireworks on RSO’s website

We checked in with other local agencies, too.

The Palm Springs Police Department echoed RSO and cautioned residents to only call 911 for emergency situations. For reporting fireworks, they listed a non-emergency number: (760) 324-1441.

Tonight, we’re also hearing from other agencies like the Indio Police Department. They say they have the “Harmony Line,” which is used for illegal firework reports. You can call that number at (442) 300-3104. Dispatchers there assured the public that calling the Harmony Line will not delay response times; instead, they said it could even speed up how quickly your information is taken, since you won’t have to wait for available dispatchers.

We had an opportunity to see inside Indio Police Department’s dispatch center. They called it the biggest and best centers in the valley, staffed with the best dispatchers – but admitted even it could be overwhelmed by a flood of 911 calls reporting fireworks.

“It was pretty bad. We had a lot of calls,” said dispatcher Priscilla Avina. “We [did not have] enough lines to get a hold of all the critical calls. They were taking up the lines and it was hard to get to through it, through to every call.”

Dispatchers classify critical calls as ones that involve life-and-death emergencies, medical aids, and incidents that require a police response. Illegal fireworks, notably, do not fall under that category in most situations, especially if residents are reporting loud booms. Of course, it’s a different story when fireworks light fires.

Stephanie Monroy, who was selling safe & sane fireworks at the corner of Avenue 44 and Jackson Street in Indio to raise money for her church, had a close call a few years back.

“A couple of years ago, there was a neighbor of mine. They were doing [an] illegal fireworks show, and our house caught on fire,” she recounted.

“I just saw it land on my neighbor’s tree, and then it spread from their tree to our trees in our home. And thankfully, someone was driving around with some hoses, like water hoses. We were able to put it out because it does take a while for, you know, responders to arrive at the scene.”

With the risks associated with illegal fireworks, Sgt. Abraham Plata, with the Indio Police Department, noted $2,000, $3,000, and $5,000 fines that residents lighting them could face.

His advice ahead of the holiday weekend: “We need somebody from the household to be the adult in the house, to tell others in the house not to light up illegal fireworks. Someone from every household needs to step up to the plate and not allow it. Or we need cooperation from the community to report it.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Keeping pets safe during Fourth of July fireworks

Dakota Makinen

COACHELLA VALLEY, Calif. (KESQ)- As families get ready to celebrate the Fourth of July, veterinarians are reminding pet owners to prepare for the holiday before the fireworks begin.

Dr. Michael Hyder with VEG ER for Pets says fireworks are just one of several concerns this time of year. Emergency veterinarians also see pets suffering from anxiety, heat-related illnesses, escapes, and illnesses caused by eating foods they shouldn’t.

“Pets don’t understand what’s happening,” Hyder said. “They simply hear loud, unpredictable sounds, and many react by trying to hide or escape.”

Experts recommend bringing pets indoors well before dark, securing doors and gates as guests come and go, and creating a quiet room where pets already feel comfortable. Running a television, fan, or white noise machine can also help reduce the sound of fireworks as part of an overall plan.

If a pet has a history of severe anxiety during fireworks, Hyder recommends talking with your veterinarian before the holiday to discuss ways to help keep them calm.

“The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to think about the holiday from your pet’s perspective,” Hyder said. “A little planning ahead can prevent many of the emergencies we see every Fourth of July.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Fourth of July celebrations spark reflection ahead of Nation’s 250th Birthday

Timothy Foster

COACHELLA VALLEY, Calif. (KESQ) — As Americans prepare to celebrate the Fourth of July, a broader national conversation is emerging about how the country should mark its upcoming 250th birthday, with opinions varying on what the milestone should represent.

Across the Coachella Valley, Independence Day traditions like backyard barbecues, neighborhood gatherings, and community fireworks shows continue to draw families and friends together, marking one of the most widely celebrated holidays of the summer. However, some residents say this year’s celebrations also come with added reflection about the nation’s history, identity, and future direction.

Some residents say there is noticeable tension surrounding national celebrations in recent years, but they also emphasize that the Fourth of July remains a meaningful symbol of freedom, patriotism, and shared American values.

Others say the country’s history should be examined more closely during major national milestones, including the upcoming 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. They argue that national celebrations should include a range of perspectives that reflect the complexity of American history and what independence means to different communities today.

Despite differing viewpoints, many residents agree that the Fourth of July continues to serve as an important opportunity for community gathering, reflection, and connection, regardless of political or historical perspective.

As large crowds are expected at events throughout the valley this weekend, local officials are also reminding residents to prioritize safety, follow all fireworks regulations, and attend only permitted celebrations as the holiday weekend gets underway.

Click here to follow the original article.

SCE’s wildfire recovery program offers $700 million to over 5,000 fire victims

Garrett Hottle

ALTADENA, Calif. (KESQ) Southern California Edison’s Wildfire Recovery Compensation Program has now offered more than $700 million to over 5,000 people affected by the Eaton Fire.

In an interview with News Channel 3, Edison spokesperson Kathleen Dunleavy walked through how the program works and acknowledged the company’s equipment likely started the fire.

“Southern California Edison has said that, absent additional evidence, it is likely that our equipment contributed to the start of the fire,” Dunleavy said. “But that’s the ignition, and this was a historic wind and drought event in the state of California.”

The program is open to homeowners, renters and business owners. Dunleavy says a claim takes about two hours to file, an offer comes back in roughly 35 days, and a check follows within 30 days of a signed agreement. Her most important tip: check insurance information before filing, since it factors into the offer.

Edison’s first $1 billion in claims comes from ratepayer-funded insurance, and the total cost of the fire has been estimated as high as $45 billion. I asked Dunleavy whether Coachella Valley customers will see any of that on their bills.

“We are very concerned with keeping our customers’ bills manageable, and we have a strong focus on affordability,” she said, adding that part of the funding will eventually come from the state’s wildfire fund, and that the full cost of the fire is still to be calculated and determined.

Dunleavy stressed there is one thing claimants need to understand before they sign. Filing a claim costs nothing and waives nothing, but accepting an offer is different.

“When they are made an offer through the compensation program, at that point they do sign a waiver that says they will no longer file litigation,” Dunleavy said. “But again, this program is completely voluntary.”

That waiver is what worries consumer advocates.

Consumer Watchdog and attorneys for fire victims warn the fast-pay offers may cover only 53% to 73% of what it actually costs to rebuild, and that signing a release ends any chance to recover more in court if new evidence surfaces.

Nearly 1,000 Eaton Fire lawsuits are consolidated in Los Angeles Superior Court, with a test trial set for Jan. 25, 2027.

Edison has not admitted legal responsibility. Even as it offers payments, the company is suing more than a dozen other parties, including Los Angeles County and Southern California Gas Co., arguing they share blame for how far the fire spread.

The program is open through Nov. 30, 2026. Claims can be submitted at sce.com/directclaims, with program details at Edison’s Wildfire Recovery Compensation Program page.

Click here to follow the original article.

Splash House unveils 2026 lineups featuring The Chainsmokers, Alison Wonderland, Foster The People DJ Set, and more

Tommy Gallegos

Palm Springs’ premier poolside music festival, Splash House, returns with two weekends of electronic music and After Hours performances at the Palm Springs Air Museum.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Splash House (@splashhouse)

Splash House is set to make its highly anticipated return to Palm Springs in August of 2026, unveiling an expansive lineup that once again blends some of electronic music’s biggest names with rising stars across house, techno, bass, indie dance, and beyond. Taking place over two weekends, the beloved desert festival continues its tradition of transforming boutique resort hotels into vibrant poolside venues before extending the party each night with its signature After Hours series at the Palm Springs Air Museum.

The festival kicks off with one of its most eclectic lineups to date, headlined by a special DJ set from genre-defying producer Kenny Beats. Also performing, indie favorites Foster The People, will take to the decks for a rare DJ set, while UK house standout Josh Baker, Australian tastemaker Mall Grab, techno heavyweight Layton Giordani, and Irish rave favorite KETTAMA bring their signature sounds to the desert.

The lineup is further strengthened by emerging artists commitment to showcasing the next generation of dance music talent.

As daylight fades, Splash House’s acclaimed After Hours series once again takes over the Palm Springs Air Museum, offering one of the festival’s most distinctive experiences. Surrounded by historic aircraft beneath the desert night sky, attendees can dance into the early hours in a setting unlike any other festival.

Weekend One’s After Hours programming features GRAMMY Award-winning duo The Chainsmokers, joined by house music favorites Ship Wrek, UK producer Biscits, and rising artist SLAMM.

The second weekend continues with another carefully curated lineup led by Australian electronic favorite Alison Wonderland, acclaimed UK duo Prospa, chart-topping house producer D.O.D, electronic music pioneer Tiga, among other artists.

Weekend Two’s After Hours programming will feature beloved UK duo Gorgon City, fast-rising selector Jackie Hollander, breakout producer TOBEHONEST, and UK artist SCRIPT, with additional surprise guests for both weekends expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

More than a decade after its debut, Splash House organizers say the festival continues it’s theme of combining luxury resort accommodations, poolside performances, and Palm Springs’ iconic desert atmosphere.

Additional artists and special guests are expected to be announced ahead of both festival weekends.

Click here to follow the original article.

Events canceled for the week at Palm Springs Cultural Center as crews survey damage

Gavin Nguyen

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – At the Palm Springs Cultural Center, both the feeling of uncertainty and the smell of smoke lingered in the air after a fire in the attic damaged the building over the weekend.

The leadership team at the Cultural Center said they had pulled promotions for events that were scheduled this week. On Sunday, they canceled a screening of “Meet Me In St. Louis” and were refunding guests who purchased tickets. The schedule after that remained up in the air.

In a Facebook post on Sunday, the Cultural Center wrote in part:

“We do not know yet when we might be able to reopen even a portion of the building. Please be patient with us. We will share that information as it becomes available to us. We thank you all for your expressions of concern and your wonderful comments of support.”

The Board and Staff of the Palm Springs Cultural Center

Cultural Center staff said crews will arrive to conduct damage assessments on Monday. Electricians will also be working to restore power to the building.

News Channel 3 will be speaking with the center’s leadership team later today. We’ll bring you the latest updates at 4, 5, and 6 o’clock.

Click here to follow the original article.

Supplies collected for earthquake victims in Venezuela

Kiera Seapy

CATHEDRAL CITY, CALIF. (KESQ) – Following the recent earthquakes that devastated the population of Caracas, Venezuela, a family in Cathedral City has organized an event to collect food and personal hygiene products to donate to the victims.

The collection center is located at 68100 Tortuga Road, Cathedral City, CA 92234. Now today, they are accepting medical supplies, clothing, and any other provisions the community wishes to donate.

Carlos Prado who is from Venezula and has family in Caracas, says this need is urgent.

“We need diapers for the babies. We need baby food. We need kids clothes and medical supplies for them. Please, everyone. So please, come here today or tomorrow Early.”

The organizers say they have collected about 60 boxes already and expect more boxes. They are asking for more essential items, but especially medium and small boxes to help pack the supplies before they are shipped.

They are expecting donations until tomorrow, at 68100 Cathedral City.

There is also a donation center in Indio.

Click here to follow the original article.

Yucca Valley couple found dead in apparent joint-suicide

Bruno Lopez-Vega

YUCCA VALLEY, Calif. (KESQ) — The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department says a couple was found dead after deputies conducted a wellness check Friday afternoon.

Morongo Basin deputies say they responded to the 7000 block of Aster Avenue in reference to a welfare check.

A deputy reportedly observed the residents through a window, motionless. After making entry, two seniors were located, John Wayne Doughty and Lari Doughty, both 80, who were dead from apparent gunshot wounds. A firearm was found in the man’s hand.

The Sheriff’s Specialized Investigations Division – Homicide Detail responded and assumed the investigation. Detectives say they determined that John shot Lari before killing himself, in an apparent joint suicide pact.

No information was released about how the deputies arrived at that conclusion.

Anyone with information regarding this incident was urged to contact the Homicide Detail at 909-890-4904.

Click here to follow the original article.

Suspect in deadly North Shore shooting arrested in Mexicali

Bruno Lopez-Vega

Update (7/3/26)

The suspect, Adolfo Suarez Lopez, 50, was arrested on Thursday by Mexican authorities in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico.

Authorities said Lopez was turned over to the Riverside County Gang Impact Team at the San Ysidro Port of Entry and was later booked into the Robert Presley Detention Center.

Jail records show he is due in court on Wednesday.

The investigation remains ongoing, and anyone with information about the case was urged to contact Central Homicide Unit Investigator Cook at 951-955-2777, or Thermal Station sheriff’s Investigator Stuhrmann at 760-863-8990.

Original Report (6/30/26)

NORTH SHORE, Calif. (KESQ) — Police continue to search for a suspect wanted in a shooting that killed one person and injured another in the early hours of Sunday morning in North Shore.

The shooting was reported just before 12:10 a.m. on the 98000 block of Surfside Avenue. Upon arrival, deputies found two men suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. A 43-year-old man was transported to a local hospital in stable condition.

A 44-year-old man, identified as Alberto Padron of Mecca, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Riverside Sheriff’s Central Homicide Unit responded and assumed the investigation.

The suspect was identified by authorities as Adolfo Suarez Lopez, 50. He is known to drive a 2002 Jeep Cherokee with a California license plate # 4YBF157.

Authorities said he is considered armed and dangerous. A flyer with his name and vehicle was shared on social media on Tuesday.

If you have any information on Lopez’ whereabouts, you are urged to immediately contact the Central Homicide Unit, Investigator Matthew Cook at (951) 955-2777 or contact Sheriff’s Dispatch at 800-950-2777.

Click here to follow the original article.