City of El Paso to sell historic A.B. Fall house

Rishi Oza

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — One of the most historic buildings in El Paso will be sold for the first time in nearly 20 years after a city council vote Tuesday.

The Albert Fall House, located at 1725 Arizona Ave., is planned to be sold to a company called Edge Limited Co. for more than $800,000.

The house, built in 1907, was included on Preservation Texas’s 2004 Most Endangered Places list because it was threatened by neglect.

ABC-7 has reached out to the city for comment about the house’s history, and is waiting for a response.

Click here to follow the original article.

Socorro ISD expects to adopt balanced budget for second year in a row

El Paso Matters

by Claudia Lorena Silva

The Socorro Independent District expects to approve a balanced budget this June for the second year in a row, as it traverses a multi-year plan to rebuild its savings after nearly a decade of spending more than it generated in revenue.

The district is planning to adopt a $465.5 million budget with a $550,000 surplus that will be used to cover the costs of operating the SISD Aquatics Center, district officials said during a board meeting presentation Wednesday.

Under the plan, the district expects to adopt a $2 million surplus next year and a $3 million surplus the following year, which will go toward its unassigned fund balance.

While SISD is trying to strengthen its savings, the county’s two other largest districts, El Paso and Ysleta ISD, will need to tap into theirs just to stay afloat. El Paso ISD is considering seeking financial exigency, which would allow them to break employment contracts and other agreements.

SISD Superintendent James Vasquez said the district may end the year with a small surplus,but will not give the amount until the fiscal year closes. Vasquez said he expects to need a short-term loan for $30 million to cover payroll costs while waiting for state funding.

“We’re proud of the work that we’ve achieved to this point. We’re not ready to celebrate just yet. These issues are not confined to the region,” Vasquez said. “There’s a statewide issue with insufficient funding, and ultimately, who suffers from this the most is our students.”

SISD employees won’t get a raise next school year, beyond what was already implemented when school funding was increased during the 2025 Texas Legislature, Chief Communications Officer Daniel Escobar told El Paso Matters.

SISD Chief Financial Officer David Solis said future raises will need to be balanced with some of the district’s other needs, including replacing outdated technology, upgrading air conditioning and bus or vehicle replacements.

“All of these priorities will continue shaping not only next year’s budget but future budget discussions as the district works to balance growing needs with the limits we shared,” Solis said.

Some homeowners living within SISD’s boundaries may also see an increase in the school portion of their property tax bill as the district prepares to adopt a tax rate for 2026 and potentially call for a voter-approval tax ratification election, or VATRE, that could generate more revenue for the district.

SISD voters last year narrowly rejected a VATRE proposal that would have shifted a portion of the tax rate used to pay its debt to pay for operations, totaling $49.2 million in revenue.

Based on preliminary property values and anticipated compression, the district expects to adopt a property tax rate of $0.91 per $100 of valuation, which would cost about $930 for the median home worth $241,600. A possible VATRE is not included in this rate, district officials told El Paso Matters.

Last year, the district adopted a tax rate of $0.93 per $100 valuation, costing $870 for the median valued home worth $232,700. 

Building savings amid declining enrollment

SISD plans to hold a public hearing and adopt a budget June 17. The district will receive certified property values in July, allowing it to finalize its tax rate calculations. The district has until Aug. 17 to call for a VATRE.

In late 2024, SISD officials were worried they had nearly depleted their savings, forcing them to take out loans to cover payroll.

Now, the district plans to start rebuilding its reserves next year, even as demographic researchers expect enrollment to decline in the coming years.

At the time, officials worried their savings would drop to $22.1 million at the end of the 2025 fiscal year, or enough to operate for 17 days in an emergency.

SISD officials said Wednesday the district now has enough funds in its savings to operate for 29 days in an emergency, or $37.1 million.

SISD policy requires the district to have enough to keep the district afloat for 75 days. Texas school districts also need to have enough to keep running for at least 75 days to get an A in the Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas.

The district expects to have 800 fewer students next school year and will be down 3,600 students by 2036, according to a presentation from Zonda, a demographer hired by the district.

Zonda adviser Paul Cash said the district may lose students at a faster rate depending on how the state’s new voucher-like program that allows families to send students to private schools using state funds affects enrollment, and if high interest rates deter residents from buying homes in the district.

“I will say that, as we do more and more of these reports, we learn more about vouchers and the state of education in Texas, this is probably the middle forecast. And if interest rates don’t help, something slightly lower would probably be the more practical forecasts at this time,” Cash said.

Vasquez said the district has already cut about 29% of its central office administrative staff over the last two years, while campus staff was reduced by about 9% to save money. He did not say how much this saved the district.

Even with the loss of students, the district still plans to have a $2 million surplus next year and a $3 million surplus the following year, taking it to 33 days by 2028.

EPISD is expected to end the year with a $52.8 million deficit and a $42 million deficit for the 2026-27 school year, which will reduce its savings from $101 million to $18 million or enough for 12 days if the district doesn’t take drastic measures, which could include layoffs.

YISD expects to end the school year with about $13 million in its savings.

Click here to follow the original article.

MOB Hosts Back-to-School Uniform Swap for El Paso Families

Nichole Gomez

El Paso, TX (KVIA-TV) – MOB is bringing back its family-friendly event to help local families get ready for school with a uniform swap. It will be held on July 11th from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.

Click here to follow the original article.

Man arrested, suspected of kidnapping 2 Missouri children found in Chaparral

Gabrielle Lopez

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (KVIA) — A man was arrested for being suspected of kidnapping two Missouri children found in Chaparral, New Mexico, the U.S. Marshals Service said Wednesday.

The USMS said on Tuesday, the USMS District of New Mexico received help to find the two children and arrest the alleged abductor, Ralph Jones Jr.

Jones is believed to have traveled through New Mexico with three children, two of them being abducted, USMS said.

The District of New Mexico Southwest Investigative Fugitive Team, New Mexico State Police Fugitive Apprehension Unit and the Otero County Sheriff’s office found the two kidnapped children and arrested Jones at the 700 block of Luna Drive in Chaparral near Chaparral High School.

USMS said all three children went to the Child, Youth and Family Department and will stay in its custody until arrangements are made with Missouri authorities.

Jones was booked into the Dona Ana County Detention Center and awaits extradition to Missouri on the kidnapping charges.

Click here to follow the original article.

Former zoo employee’s wrongful termination lawsuit dismissed

Lauren Bly

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA)– A wrongful termination lawsuit filed by a former El Paso Zoo employee against the city, former Zoo Director Joe Montisano and other zoo employees has been dismissed after a settlement was reached, according to court records.

Former zoo employee Anahi Chavez Villegas filed the 16-page lawsuit in December 2024, alleging her direct supervisor, John Kiseda, sexually harassed her and that city officials failed to take action.

The lawsuit said Villegas reported the alleged harassment in November 2023 to then Zoo Director Joe Montisano. According to the filing, Montisano responded by saying Villegas and Kiseda “needed to get used to each other” and discouraged her from reporting the matter to human resources.

Villegas alleged Montisano told her to report future concerns directly to him so he could handle them internally. The lawsuit said human resources later acknowledged her complaint.

Court filings alleged that during the first months of 2024, both Montisano and Kiseda began treating Villegas unfairly. In April 2024, Villegas was fired after missing work with permission, according to the lawsuit.

Montisano previously faced 10 formal complaints, according to city records reported earlier by ABC-7.

The case was dismissed with prejudice, meaning it cannot be refiled. Court records show a settlement was reached, though the terms were not disclosed publicly.

Montisano has since resigned from the city. Kiseda remains employed by the city, according to records.

ABC-7 reached out to Montisano, Villegas’ attorney and the City of El Paso for comment. The city declined to comment, and Villegas’ attorney did not respond. Montisano also did not respond to requests for comment.

ABC-7 also asked the city to facilitate contact with Kiseda, but the request was denied.

Click here to follow the original article.

Man arrested during traffic stop, charged with indecency with a child

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — A 37-year-old man was arrested during a traffic stop and charged for sexual contact with a child, according to the El Paso County Constable Office of Hector Bernal, Precinct Three.

Wednesday, a sergeant with the constable’s office saw Ryan Henry Falvey driving a car.

The sergeant knew Falvey was wanted on two counts of indecency with a child/sexual contact.

The sergeant stopped Falvey at the 14400 block of Eastbrook Drive in Far East El Paso and took him into custody.

The constable’s office booked him into the county jail with a $75,000 bond, according to records.

The arrest came from an investigation led by the El Paso Police Department in 2025, the constable’s office said. The warrants issued in March 2026.

Click here to follow the original article.

City of Sunland Park to host State of the City Address

Ilyhanee Robles

The City of Sunland Park will host its 2026 State of the City Address on May 27 at the Sunland Park Municipal Sports Complex.

According to the city, the event will highlight recent milestones, public safety priorities, infrastructure updates, and long-term plans for the community.

Mayor Javier Perea, alongside city council members and municipal leaders, is expected to discuss ongoing developments and initiatives designed to support residents and businesses across the region.

The event is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Sunland Park Municipal Sports Complex located at 4700 McNutt Road in Santa Teresa.

The official program includes opening remarks from City Manager Mario Juarez-Infante, a moment of reflection led by Daniel Carranco, and the formal State of the City Address from Mayor Perea beginning at 10:15 a.m.

City officials say the event will also serve as an opportunity for residents to hear directly from local leadership regarding the city’s progress and future goals.

Click here to follow the original article.

City of El Paso releases preliminary budget for 2027 fiscal year, public meeting schedule

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — The City of El Paso released its preliminary budget for the 2027 fiscal year Wednesday. It totals $1.405 billion across all funds, which the city said is a 1.7% increase compared to FY 2026.

The city cited rising costs, public safety operations, infrastructure obligations, contractual costs and voter-approved commitments as reasons for the increase.

The city started its budget process six weeks earlier than in previous years to host public budget meetings throughout June. At the meetings, residents can ask questions and give feedback about the preliminary budget.

The preliminary tax rate is estimated at at $0.783 per $100 valuation, the city said. The FY 2026 adopted rate was $0.760 per $100 valuation. The city said this is an early estimate, and the budget will not be adopted until August.

Based on current projections, the city said the average single-family home taxable value is estimated at $233,549. It also said at the preliminary tax rate estimate, the average homestead tax bill would increase by $105 a year, or about $8.75 per month.

The preliminary budget included annual salary adjustments, the city said, including a proposed minimum wage increase for non-uniform employees from $15.75 to $16.25.

“The preliminary budget also reflects the financial pressures facing the City, including rising operational costs, voter-approved debt obligations, and the impact of unfunded state property tax exemptions,” said Deputy City Manager and Chief Financial Officer Robert Cortinas in a statement.

Here’s the city’s schedule for public budget meetings:

Monday, June 1 at 5:30 p.m. at the Irving Schwartz Library (1865 Dean Martin Dr.)

Tuesday, June 2 at 6 p.m. at the Westside Regional Command Center (4801 Osborne Dr.)

Tuesday, June 2 at 6 p.m. at the Municipal Service Center, Cotton Patch Room (7968 San Paulo Dr.)

Monday, June 8 at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall, Main Conference Room on the second floor (300 N. Campbell St.)

Tuesday, June 9 at 6 p.m. at the Memorial Senior Center (1800 Byron St.)

Tuesday, June 9 at 6 p.m. at the Northeast Regional Command Center (9600 Dyer St.)

Wednesday, June 10 at 5 p.m. at the Valle Bajo Community Center & Library (7380 Alameda Ave.)

Thursday, June 11 at 6 p.m. at the Beast Urban Park (13501 Jason Crandall Dr.)

Click here to follow the original article.

El Paso man creates game of blind billiards for his community

Rishi Oza

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — Martin Aceves has been legally blind his whole life. He’s an El Paso native and University of Texas at El Paso graduate trying to find a way to involve the blind community in public more.

For the last three years, he worked to make a game of billiards for the blind. A guide maker, whose son is blind, helped Aveces make wooden guides for the game.

The game is similar to normal billiards; the goal is to get the balls into the pockets, but you can’t see. Players can’t fully see what’s going on, but they can feel it.

“When they could see, they actually played the game. And that comes back, the full feelings get into effect and getting involved with the game,” said Aceves.

The first Tuesday of every month, the players get together at the Marty Robbins Rec Center in East El Paso. The group calls themselves the “Sharp Shooters.”

“Living on your own is hard, but it’s possible,” said Carlos Mosqueda, a member of the group.

Another member, Frank Rodriguez, said he never thought he would be able to play pool again.

“We want the people to get involved and come and do something, you know, to get them out of the house,” said Rodriguez.

According to Aceves, about 5,000 people are visually impaired throughout El Paso. He wants to get as many involved in his game as he can.

“Blindness is a major tragic issue, more so than other disabilities. It completely cancels a person’s life until they get retrained into society,” said Aceves.

His next steps are getting all of Texas involved, and creating a tournament around the state.

“I’m 70. Between now and 80, I want to see a state championship of this,” he said. “Let’s say I see a thousand individuals playing pool and that I started this? Give me a break. That’s very enjoyable.”

To get involved, Aceves says that you can meet them at the Marty Robbins Center and get started.

Click here to follow the original article.

3 inmates charged for allegedly attacking, tasing unconscious correction officer in Doña Ana County Detention Center

Gabrielle Lopez

ALBUQUERQUE (KVIA) — Three inmates face federal charges after allegedly attacking a correction officer at the Doña Ana County Detention Center, the U.S. Attorney’s Office District of New Mexico said Wednesday.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the inmates allegedly beat the officer unconscious and tased him.

Court documents said the officer helped the U.S. Marshal service at the detention center May 11. He walked upstairs to monitor inmates and met Juan Gabriel Torres, Sergio Seanez and Titus Josiah McGaw Bulger, who were not allowed to be on the second floor.

Torres allegedly lunged at the officer and tried to punch him, but he was able to avoid it, officials said.

Seanez and Bulger attacked the officer to the ground, officials said. Seanez held the officer down while Torres and Bulger punched, kicked and stomped the officer’s body, causing him to lose consciousness.

According to officials, Torres used the officer’s taser on his unconscious body.

Officials say the attack lasted 22 seconds before guards entered the scene. The officer received care and went to the hospital. He survived and regained consciousness, officials said.

Torres, Seanez and Bulger are charged with assault involving a dangerous weapon and infliction of bodily injury on a person assisting U.S. officers, officials said. They will stay in federal custody pending trial.

If convicted, all three men face up to 20 years in prison.

The Las Cruces police and the city’s Resident Agency of the FBI’s Albuquerque Field Office helped investigate the case.

Click here to follow the original article.