20-year-old man’s body pulled from Lower Valley canal

Lauren Bly

UPDATE (June 29, 2026) — El Paso Police identified the body as 20-year-old Cristian Yamil Bernal Mejia.

EPPD said authorities are still investigating the body recovery.

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA)– El Paso Police confirmed crews recovered a dead body from a canal at Fresno and Alameda.

Our crew went to the scene at around 6:30 p.m., they saw El Paso Fire, El Paso Police, and a vehicle from the medical examiner’s office.

This is a developing story and we will keep you updated on air and online as we learn more.

Click here to follow the original article.

Texas Board of Education votes to approve requiring public schools to study Bible stories

Max Zepeda

After months of built up discussion and debate, the Texas State Board of Education has approved a new proposal that will establish lists of required reading, including Bible verses alongside classic books, for its K-12 English and literature curriculum.

The new proposal, which will slowly be enacted starting in the 2030-31 school year, will impact more than 5 million students across the state.

While it is not uncommon for states to suggest book titles for public schools, Texas could be the first to prescribe a literary collection for every student.

This decision comes after last year the state became the largest in the U.S. to require classrooms to display The Ten Commandments, a law that was recently upheld in federal court.

ABC 7’s Max Zepeda spoke with Board Member Gustavo Reveles, who represents El Paso and much of Southwest Texas, and he was blunt on what he believes the true meaning behind the proposal is.

“I have heard here this week, members of our own board, call people of the Islamic faith, to their face, terrorists,” Reveles said. “They are threatened by people that don’t look like them and don’t practice the same faith as them. And that to me shows weakness.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Meta will hire a community development regional manager

Nina Gallegos

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) – Meta will be hiring a community development regional manager for El Paso, according to a Meta official.

According to Meta, that manager would represent Meta in the community and work directly with the community on ways they can partner together.

Meta did not release an official statement, but previously a Meta spokesperson has shared, “Meta’s El Paso data center represents a significant long-term investment in this community — supporting thousands of construction jobs and hundreds of operational jobs, generating millions in local tax revenue, and supporting the digital infrastructure that El Paso businesses and families rely on every day. We’re glad to continue working with the city on the path forward and remain excited to be part of El Paso’s future.”

Click here to follow the original article.

America’s 250th Birthday Bash: A Weeklong Celebration in El Paso

Nichole Gomez

El paso, TX (KVIA-TV)-Celebrate America’s 250th birthday with a week full of excitement! Fort Bliss MWR and Destination El Paso are teaming up to bring you the biggest celebration in 250 years. The festivities start with Pop Goes the Fort on Saturday, June 27, at Biggs Park, and continue all week. Downtown El Paso will also join in, with celebrations leading up to Saturday, July 4. Enjoy festive events, family-friendly activities, live entertainment, and plenty of patriotic spirit as the city honors this special occasion.

https://bliss.armymwr.com/calendar/event/pop-goes-fort-and-americas-250th-birthday-8-days-celebrations/7261980/109336

https://visitelpaso.com/america250

Click here to follow the original article.

Good Vibes Only: UTEP Dinner Theatre rocks audiences this summer

Rosemary Garcia

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA)—This summer, the UTEP Dinner Theatre is inviting audiences to an exhilarating production of ‘School of Rock: The Musical.’ Starting Friday, June 26th, through July 18th, audiences can expect performances full of energy, live music and good humor for the whole family!

The musical is an adaptation of the popular 2003 film. It revolves around Dewey Finn, a wannabe rock star who poses as a substitute teacher.

Fernando Romero plays Finn during the UTEP production. “You can expect a lot of amazing music, a lot of fun energy. You’re going to expect a lot of blaring lights and sounds and a lot of very, very talented adults and kids in this amazing production of School of Rock!”

Jaime Barba, the interim director of the UTEP Dinner Theatre told ABC-7 that the cast and crew have been preparing every weeknight for three hours for the last 10 weeks.

“The costumes, the sets, the lights, all of that is done here in this theater locally. And I think that’s one thing that people like when they come see our shows, because like I said, we try to do next-to- professional here at UTEP,” Barba said.

The cast is made up of adults and includes 12 children.

“Yes. They can act, sing and dance, but several of them play live music on stage. The guitars, the bass player, the keyboardist and the drummer all play their instruments live on stage,” the interim director said.

The show also features songs from the popular movie with a musical score that’s perfect for pop and rock lovers.

“You can see and hear all of their hard work, all of their talents. Everything that they put into this show kind of come together to create this kind of artistic monster, if you will. And it’s fantastic. The kids are really, really good.”

Romero said he is eager to bring the iconic Jack Black character to my life!

“I’m so honored to be here to give 100% of my energy into this part, because it’s so much, so much jumping and running and a lot of facial expressions and, you know, and it’s it’s an absolute honor to be here and to play this part,” he said.

For ticket information, click here.

If you have a Good Vibes Only story, please e-mail rosemary.garcia@kvia.com.

Click here to follow the original article.

El Paso Police Department Seeks Applicants for Academy Class

Nichole Gomez

El Paso, TX (KVIA-TV)- The El Paso Police Department is now taking applications for the 144th Police Academy class. The deadline to apply is August 25. You can apply for the paid, 8.5-month Police Trainee program or join the free, multi-week Citizen Police Academy for community members.

https://www.joineppd.com/academy

Click here to follow the original article.

TxDOT Rolls Out Sobriety Awareness Truck

Nichole Gomez

El Paso, TX (KVIA-TV)- Most drivers do not mean to harm anyone, but last year, impaired driving led to 1,254 deaths on Texas roads. In 2025, El Paso saw 14,724 traffic crashes, which caused 54 deaths and 248 serious injuries, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. That same year, El Paso had 501 DUI-related crashes involving drugs or alcohol, resulting in 17 deaths and 29 serious injuries. During the July Fourth holiday in 2025, there were 6 DUI-related crashes in El Paso, with 1 death and no serious injuries.

Every day in Texas, three people lose their lives because someone made a choice that could have been avoided.

To help drivers remember the real cost of driving under the influence, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is taking a truck that once delivered beverages on a statewide tour. Now, this truck serves as a reminder to always drive sober and to drive like a Texan—kind, courteous, and safe.

The beverage truck has been turned into a place to learn about sober driving. Visitors can check out educational materials and interactive stations that show the dangers of impaired driving through hands-on activities. Visit on Friday, June 26, from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. at San Jacinto Plaza, 111 West Mills Ave, El Paso, TX 79901.

Click here to follow the original article.

Fire burns in Segundo Barrio home’s attic

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — A house caught fire in the Segundo Barrio neighborhood Thursday, according to the El Paso Fire Department.

Firefighters knew about the fire at 2:45 p.m. Thirteen fire department units helped, according to EPFD. They controlled the fire within 25 minutes.

It happened at a house on S Ochoa Street between the intersections of 3rd and 5th Avenue, according to the fire department.

Investigators are looking into what caused the fire, which was mostly in the attic, according to EPFD. The attic kept it from spreading to nearby structures.

EPFD didn’t report any injuries.

Click here to follow the original article.

OXXO opens 2 new locations in El Paso

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — OXXO opened two new locations in El Paso Wednesday and Thursday as it continues to replace former DK Convenience locations in the area.

In 2024, OXXO’s parent company FEMSA acquired Delek’s convenience stroe business, which included 249 stores across Texas, according to officials. Since then, DK Convenience stores have been reintroduced under the OXXO brand.

While the convenience stores change, officials said fuel brands haven’t. DK and Alon, owned by Delek, still run independently.

During this week’s grand openings, OXXO took the change to introduce customers to clarify its business relationship with Delek.

Those who attended the grand openings got to play a digital scratch-off game for the chance to win prizes like backpacks, tumblers, hats and other merchandise, OXXO said.

In total, OXXO and DK gave $1,000 in fuel card prizes too.

Click here to follow the original article.

Welcome Center to stop operations Aug. 31

Lauren Bly

Editor’s Note: The original story said the Welcome Center will cease operations Aug. 1. It has been updated to say it will shut down Aug. 31.

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA)– El Paso City Council voted against allocating one-time funding of $430,000 from American Rescue Plan Act investment interest revenue. As a result, the Welcome Center for the homeless will stop operations Aug. 31.

The Welcome Center, which provides initial support services to homeless people through the Opportunity Center for the Homeless.

El Paso Mayor Renard Johnson cast the tie-breaking vote.

“August 1st will be the last day that we will operate the welcome center and that’s ran by the Opportunity Center,” said Nickole Heater Rodriguez, the Director of Community and Human Development.

The Opportunity Center told ABC-7 the Welcome Center will close later in the month.

Rodriguez said that on average the Welcome Center helps 50 people a day.

“And those people will be on the street in front of businesses, in front of homes. There will definitely be a more visible effect,” said District 8 City Rep. Chris Canales.

The council initially approved using the ARPA interest savings for the center. However, District 1 City Representative Alejandra Chávez later moved to reconsider her vote. A second vote ended in a tie, and Mayor Renard Johnson cast the deciding vote against using the funds.

The decision drew emotional reactions from several council members.

“Another sad day with this council. I’m dismayed. I’m disappointed, brokenhearted by this vote today,” one council member said. “It sends a really clear message where our priorities are in this city.”

City officials warned the closure will have immediate consequences, saying people who rely on the center’s services will instead be on the streets.

“There will definitely be a more visible effect,” officials said, noting more people may end up in front of businesses and homes.

In an interview, Johnson said he supports finding a long-term solution rather than relying on one-time funding.

“There’s a number that we’re going to still continue to fund,” Johnson said. “I don’t think we’re done looking at this. I think we need to go in and really come up with a sustainable model.”

Opportunity Center Executive Director John Martin said the Welcome Center serves about 1,200 people each year and provides a separate entry point for families and vulnerable individuals seeking help.

“If you’ve got a mother with young children that would like to come in to receive services, you’re not going to feel comfortable walking into a facility that houses adult men,” Martin said. “It’s the entryway.”

Martin said he was disappointed with the council’s decision because the focus should remain on helping people in need.

District 7 City Representative Lily Limón, who voted in favor of the funding, criticized the outcome.

“Council turned its back on the homeless people in this community. It was clear — you can’t say anything else but that,” Limón said.

Limón said she hopes the community will rally behind the Welcome Center and that future funding efforts will continue. Johnson also said he hopes the issue returns to the council for further consideration before the center closes.

Click here to follow the original article.