Mesilla Valley Transportation reacts to $104 million verdict in wrongful death lawsuit

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — On Wednesday, an El Paso jury awarded a family $104 million dollars after finding MVT Services LLC liable for the death of its employee, Orlando Robles.

The company, also known as Mesilla Valley Transportation, sent ABC-7 a statement on Friday:

“We want to take a moment to address the recent jury verdict concerning the tragic accident involving two of our drivers. Our hearts continue to go out to the families affected by this tragic accident. This loss has had a profound impact on all of us. While we respect the judicial process, we are evaluating our appellate options.”

Robles was in the sleeping compartment of an 18-wheeler when attorneys say the driver, Juan Garcia, dozed off and slammed into the back of another big rig on the side of the road. The crash happened October 2020 along I-40 in rural Oklahoma. Robles died as a result of the crash.

His mother, wife, five daughters and son sued Garcia and the trucking company. They argued MVT’s policy did not specify drivers had to sleep during their breaks, only that they had to rest. Attorneys for the family argued Garcia had been on his phone during his resting time instead of sleeping, and when he got behind the wheel they said he was too fatigued to drive.

The case went all the way to the Texas Supreme Court which declined to hear it and sent it back to the trial court, where a jury on Wednesday returned the verdict.

Click here to follow the original article.

Las Cruces police chief named hometown hero by US Attorney’s Office

Gabrielle Lopez

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (KVIA) — The U.S. Attorney’s Office District of New Mexico recognized Las Cruces Police Chief Jeremy Story as a hometown hero Friday.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Mexico said Story earned the Hometown Heroes recognition for his service to his community and his leadership in advancing public safety in New Mexico.

The Hometown Heroes is a recognition by the Department of Justice given to local service workers.

“One of the main reasons I feel it’s undeserved is because every success that I’ve had has been because of other people,” Story said.

At the ceremony, officials said a charity drive collected shoes and socks for local organizations serving human trafficking victims.

The ceremony was part of Freedom250, a nationwide initiative designed to honor the 250th anniversary of the U.S. and encourages communities to celebrate local service.

Click here to follow the original article.

MSSG Amigo Airshow celebrates 11 graduates from Fly HigHER Girls STEAM Academy

Max Zepeda

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — Friday, MountainStar Sports Group Amigo Airsho celebrated 11 graduates from its Fly HigHER Girls STEAM Academy. The program launched earlier this year with the goal of empowering students to explore careers in aviation, aerospace and leadership.

Students from the Young Women’s STEAM Research & Preparatory Academy and Young Women’s Leadership Academy took part in the program this year. They got to tour the El Paso International Airport and the Federal Aviation Administration Air Traffic Control Tower, according to a news release.

“This career field needs more young women,” graduate Kamillah Mendoza said. “I feel like so many of the girls have such bright minds, and this field needs them.”

The cohort capped off the program with a graduation ceremony and received certificates celebrating their accomplishments.

Each participant also took a discovery flight after the ceremony — letting them look at the world from an aircraft cockpit.

(Courtesy: MSSG Amigo Airsho)

“Air shows inspire people to dream, but our mission extends far beyond Airsho weekend,” Israel Castro, Vice President of STEAM for MSSG Amigo Airsho, said in a statement. “Through Fly HigHER, we’re helping young women see themselves not only as spectators, but as future pilots, engineers, innovators, and leaders.”

One of the graduates, Harlee Villalobos, earned the MSSG Amigo Airsho’s Skybound Scholarship.

Graduate Suryne Montoya told ABC-7 said the program gave her a thrilling experience.

“I feel really like I’m on like a high, almost like the adrenaline high. It was super cool,” Montoya said. “I mean, we’ve all flown in a regular airplane before, but being able to sit there and be able to see what the pilot is doing — it was just super thrilling.”

She also said the program taught her that anyone can fly a plane if they set out to do it.

Outside of hands-on skills, participants did sessions on curiosity, self-advocacy and confidence, MSSG said.

Click here to follow the original article.

James Talarico to stop in El Paso for US Senate campaign

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — Texas democratic U.S. Senate candidate James Talarico will stop in El Paso this weekend as part of his campaign for the November election. A town hall featuring the candidate will take place Saturday.

His campaign organizers said his community town hall will take place from 7:30-9:30 p.m. at the Plaza Theatre in Downtown El Paso.

Talarico’s stop in El Paso is one of several planned in South Texas this month.

In November, he will face Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton for the U.S. Senate seat.

Click here to follow the original article.

Federal disaster aid approved for Ruidoso generators, New Mexico debris removal

Gabrielle Lopez

RUIDOSO, N.M. (KVIA) — The Federal Emergency Management Agency approved more than $144 million to help communities rebuild and protect infrastructure from future disasters. Friday, Department of Homeland Security said the Village of Ruidoso will get some of that aid.

Ruidoso will get more than $770,000 for generators for critical facilities in the village, DHS said in a news release. This money comes from the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.

FEMA coordinates with the state on all recovery and Hazard mitigation projects, according to DHS.

Additionally, New Mexico’s DHS and Emergency Management will get more than $1.1 million to remove debris after wildfires, floods, mudflows and straight-line winds from 2022. This money comes from the Public Assistance program.

Other aid will go to parts of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.

Click here to follow the original article.

Alleged ‘imposter’ nurse arrested under fraud warrants

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — A woman accused of posing as a nurse and working without a license has been arrested in El Paso Thursday, according to jail records. Forty-three-year-old Margarita Gonzalez’ arrest comes after a Doña Ana County jury indicted her in May.

Jail records said the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office arrested her under several warrants for fraud charges — including for health care and possessing someone else’s identifying information. Records said the offenses reportedly took place between January 2023 and July 2025.

Her bond totaled $130,000. Jail records said some of the charges she faced didn’t have bond.

In May, New Mexico Attorney General Raúl Torrez charged Gonzalez with 34 counts of misconduct for allegedly impersonating nurses in Texas to get a job in Las Cruces. If convicted, she faces up to 100 years in prison.

The New Mexico Department of Justice alleged she administered narcotics to minors and nearly caused a patient’s death.

According to a NMDOJ investigation, Gonzalez illegally administered injections and prescribed medicine, including narcotics to eight children.

The investigation also alleged she incorrectly dosed a patient with insulin, which could have caused a serious incident or death, NMDOJ said. Another nurse caught the mistake before the patient got the dose.

NMDOJ said Gonzalez worked at the following places, which all paid compensation based on the fraudulent licenses:

Village at Northrise

Las Cruces Wellness and Rehabilitation

Peak Behavioral Health

Matrix Home Care

In October 2025, the Texas Board of Nursing issued an imposter alert accusing Gonzalez of posing as a nurse.

Click here to follow the original article.

Industry leaders in Juárez raise concerns over USMCA reviews

Heriberto Perez Lara

CIUDAD JUÁREZ, Chihuahua (KVIA) — Several business and industry leaders on the border are raising concerns about the recent reviews of the United States-Mexico-Canada (USMCA) trade agreement, which will begin every year until it ends in 2036.

ABC-7 spoke with Marcelo Vázquez Tovar, the regional delegate in Chihuahua for the National Association of Importers and Exporters of the Mexican Republic (ANIERM), who shared his perspective on the challenges and opportunities this scenario presents for our local and national economy.

Vázquez Tovar said Mexico faces challenges and opportunities due to a possible non-renewal of trade agreements by the United States. In response, Mexico has an opportunity to transition to producing its own components for the maquiladora industry, thereby reducing dependence on external supplies.

Vázquez Tovar said this announcement, made as the USMCA draws to a close, creates a sense of uncertainty. However, he also described it as a turning point for seeking greater certainty and developing stronger, more reasonable strategies.

Despite potential trade shifts, Ciudad Juárez’s economy is expected to maintain its dynamism due to its robust productive capacity.

The city’s labor market is expected to undergo readjustment, similar to those experienced in other regions of Mexico. This regrouping presents an opportunity for Mexico to transition toward producing its own components for the maquiladora industry, rather than depending exclusively on external supplies.

To address this scenario, collaboration among various chambers of commerce, associations and the government is vital. This partnership will provide firsthand information to support ANIERM members in developing new components and establishing specialized workshops.

Vázquez Tovar also emphasized that although this situation presents significant challenges, it does not represent an “end of the world,” but rather a period of readjustment.

Mexico possesses the necessary elements to develop this productive capacity,” Vázquez said. “From ANIERM, the commitment is to keep members informed and work in coordination to strengthen the region’s productive sovereignty, transforming current challenges into a stage of industrial maturity for Mexico.”

This industrial transition is projected to take a 10-year period to complete. ANIERM plans to continue working in coordination to strengthen the region’s productive sovereignty.

Click here to follow the original article.

First-degree murder conviction upheld in Alamogordo police officer’s shooting death

Gabrielle Lopez

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. (KVIA) — Friday, the New Mexico Department of Justice said the state’s supreme court upheld a first-degree murder conviction in a shooting that killed an Alamogordo police officer. Dominic De La O will continue serving a life sentence in prison without parole.

In July 2023, De La O shot and killed Anthony Ferguson with a sawed-off, unregistered shotgun after an attempted traffic stop, the NMDOJ said. Ferguson died to his injuries a day after De La O shot him.

NMDOJ said De La O discarded his shirt and the shotgun as he ran way, and Alamogordo police chased him and shot his leg.

Thursday, the court argued the appeal and affirmed all convictions against De La O, including first-degree murder, tampering with evidence, aggravated fleeing of an officer, resisting or evading an officer and criminal trespass. NMDOJ said.

Dominic De La O was also sentenced to eight years in prison for federal firearms offenses related to the murder in June 2025.

According to the NMDOJ, Ferguson was an 11-year veteran of the Alamogordo Police Department and a field training officer.

Courtesy: Alamogordo Police Department

In October 2024, authorities sentenced 32-year-old Jonah Apodaca to six years in prison for providing De La O with the sawed-off shotgun. Apodaca pleaded guilty earlier that year in July.

Click here to follow the original article.

Man falls off border wall in Sunland Park

Gabrielle Lopez

SUNLAND PARK, N.M. (KVIA) — Friday, the Sunland Park Fire Department said a man fell off the border wall.

It happened Friday morning around 3:15 a.m. at 1000 Camino Real Dr. by a landfill near the wall, officials said.

In a Facebook post, the fire department said a man in his 40s fell 20 feet off the wall and injured himself. They transported him to the hospital.

Click here to follow the original article.

Good Vibes Only: El Paso boy to escort players onto field for World Cup match

Rosemary Garcia

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — The Lopez family is counting down the days to their upcoming trip to Dallas, Texas, as one family member will take part in an unforgettable experience at the 2026 World Cup.

9-year-old Noah Lopez will help escort soccer players onto the field for an upcoming semi-final match. He’ll be briefly featured during the televised event while holding players’ hands.

Several months ago, Claudia Lopez entered her son’s name in a raffle for the opportunity, but never imagined he would be selected! The contest selected children to cheer on their favorite teams while escorting players onto the pitch before kickoff.

ABC-7 spoke with the family ahead of their trip to the soccer tournament. Noah said he is both excited and nervous!

“It’s going to be crazy going in the World Cup, holding a player’s hand in the semifinals,” he said.

The Player Escort Program has helped young soccer fans escort players onto the pitch across all 104 matches, with nearly 2,000 children participating across Mexico, Canada and the United States.

Noah’s parents recalled the moment they found out their son would be taking part in this rare opportunity:

“I just remember closing my eyes and saying a little prayer and then pressing the button. And then I just saw the email come up, and it says, ‘Congratulations! You’ve been selected.’ So it was really cool. It was exciting,”

“To be able to think that we’re going to be able to go to the World Cup. It’s just like one of those things you have on your bucket list, and, thankfully, you know, my son got selected, and now we’re able to enjoy this,” Edwin added.

Noah said he also couldn’t believe it when his mom first told him about it. He thought his mom was pranking him. Now, he feels eager to be up close to some world-class athletes.

As part of this experience, one parent can accompany their child on the day of the game. While Claudia entered her son in the raffle, she decided to give her spot to her husband, who is a big soccer fan.

“It’s still a little surreal. I’ll believe it when we’re there,” Edwin said. “I can’t believe it. It’s one of those things that you dream of, and it’s amazing that it’s becoming true.”

Edwin will watch the game inside Dallas Stadium alongside other parents. Noah will be taken to a separate viewing area with other escorts after kickoff.

While Noah’s mom and sisters were not able to secure tickets, they’ll be watching the game from outside the stadium. They said they are still excited about this rare opportunity Noah is taking a participating in.

Noah’s sisters have given him a few pointers ahead of his big moment.

“Smile and take pictures for me,” said one sister.

Congratulations to Noah and the entire Lopez family!

Click here to follow the original article.