El Paso Chamber discussed ramifications of Bridge of the Americas modernization project

Mia Tricarico

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — A battle over the future of the Bridge of the Americas (BOTA) reached a boiling point this week as local business leaders united in sharp opposition to a massive federal modernization plan.

The El Paso Chamber convened a meeting drawing nearly 70 community members, business owners, and binational stakeholders from the El Paso-Juárez region.

The collective goal of the meeting was to issue an urgent appeal to the federal government to pause or completely stop its current Record of Decision, which effectively eliminates all commercial traffic from the toll-free border crossing.

Under the current $500 million modernization framework managed by the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), the bridge would see extensive structural updates but permanently ban commercial cargo operations. Local commerce advocates warn that the removal of these six crucial commercial lanes will deal a catastrophic blow to the regional economy, stripping away an estimated 40% of El Paso’s regional competitiveness.

The El Paso Chamber said it’s conducting an independent study that will show the economic impact in ten years. El Paso Chamber told ABC-7 that the GSA did not have any impact analysis.

El Paso Chamber President and CEO Ricardo Mora, spoke about protecting the business ecosystem. Mora cautioned that federal decision-makers failed to properly account for the localized economic impacts when finalizing the project’s parameters.

Mora said, “We’re at 67% per capita income. If we don’t get this right, we’ll be 40% less productive, and El Paso will be driving in a negative way for the next 10 years.”

Chamber leaders argue the fallout will extend far beyond logistics firms, directly impacting everyday consumers. If commercial traffic is completely halted at BOTA, supply chains will be forced to relocate to alternative ports of entry. Longer transportation routes mean more travel hours, increased gas and diesel consumption, and inevitably, higher prices for goods delivered straight to consumers’ doors.

Mora also explained how crucial the commercial lanes are for business.

“Just last year alone, it was close to $900 billion worth of trade between the US and Mexico. Texas represents 68% of the entire trade of the 2000 mile border. El Paso out of the Texas portion represents 20%. So as we speak to our elected on the local, state, and federal level, we share with them that this will make our country less competitive in all levels because we’re not able to bring product into, into our country fast enough,” he said.

The future of the Bridge of the Americas highlights the challenges of balancing the speed of international trade with the well-being the local community.

Thursday, U.S. Representative Veronica Escobar said the U.S. General Services Administration will announce the three possible contractors competing for the primary project contract on “Industry Day,” which is set for July 27.

The congresswoman said small businesses, subcontractors, suppliers and construction professionals can meet the three shortlisted teams competing for the primary project contract.

Industry Day will take place at the El Paso Community College Administrative Services Opportunity Center from 1-4 p.m.

Click here to follow the original article.

Police investigate death in Northeast El Paso

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — El Paso Police’s Crimes Against Persons Unit is investigating a death in Northeast El Paso, police said Friday. The El Paso Fire Department said a water rescue happened in the area.

It happened near the intersection of Girl Scout Way and Woodrow Bean Transmountain Drive. Police said they responded to a welfare check at 3:56 p.m.

ABC-7 is at the scene to learn more.

Click here to follow the original article.

Former Las Cruces Mayor Miyagishima ends bid for New Mexico governor

Gabrielle Lopez

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (KVIA) — Former Las Cruces mayor, Ken Gallegos Miyagishima, ended his bid for New Mexico governor Friday, he confirmed with ABC-7.

“I just want to take a moment to express how grateful I am for all of your support during this journey,” Miyagishima said in a Facebook post. I realized that the best way to make a difference in New Mexico is by teaming up with my good friend, and former Mayor Gregg Hull.”

In February, Miyagishima announced he would run as an independent candidate for governor. He previously ran as the Democratic candidate.

Miyagishima failed to qualify for the ballot, and previously discussed appealing to the state supreme court to try a secure a spot in the race.

In the November election, GOP candidate Greg Hull will face Democratic candidate Deb Haaland.

Click here to follow the original article.

El Paso teen participates in World Cup match, fulfills dream of seeing his favorite player

Heriberto Perez Lara

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — An El Paso family fulfilled their dream of attending their first World Cup after a father and son went to a match together.

Antonio and Naim Diaz live here in the borderland and thanks to the Arca Continental Coca-Cola Southwest Beverages FIFA World Cup 26™ flag bearer sweepstakes, they were able to attend the match between Jordan and Argentina in Dallas, Texas, on June 27, 2026.

Naim was selected to serve as a flag bearer and told ABC-7 it was a dream come true, as he has long been a huge fan of Lionel Messi; seeing him take the field and play later that night became the perfect memory for the García family.

Click here to follow the original article.

Young Borderland musicians bring the beat to audiences Friday night

Rosemary Garcia

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — Young musicians with the Boys and Girls Clubs of El Paso will be able to show off their musical skills Friday night during a showcase.

For two weeks, teenagers who participated in this year’s Sun City Music Camp developed their skills and received hands-on training in vocals, guitar, bass and drums.

“You have no idea the impact that you will give a kid just by them learning music or them being stimulated by music. And it starts young. It starts here. These are the future stars. These are the future Khalids, you know? And that’s what my role is. I want to make the future. So I want to make the future superstars. We got to start from somewhere, and this is a fun environment to do it,” said Linda Wolfe, the executive director of The Great Khalid Foundation. She helped mentor participants.

Students also received instruction from the Pie Sisters. The camp is a collaboration between the Boys & Girls Clubs of El Paso, EP Launch and The Great Khalid Foundation.

The summer camp allows local teens to have access to instructors and musical equipment to freely express themselves through music.

“Regardless of your circumstance, if you had a desire to learn to play an instrument, if you wanted to become a better musician, if you wanted to sing, this was a great opportunity,” said Anthony Tomasheski, CEO of the local club.

In front of an audience of family members and other supporters, participants will be able to demonstrate what they’ve learned and how they’ve advanced their musical talents this summer.

“Sometimes all you’ve got to do is put the instrument in their hands, you know, and, you know, this program came with competent instructors that were able to get them to where they are,” Wolfe said.

The final showcase will be held in The Great Khalid Foundation Music Room at the Boys & Girls Clubs of El Paso’s Club Petty, 801 S. Florence St. at 6 p.m.

For more information about the Boys & Girls Clubs of El Paso, click here.

Click here to follow the original article.

Doña Ana County Animal Control to host free spay and neuter clinics starting July 20

Gabrielle Lopez

DONA ANA COUNTY, N.M. (KVIA) — The Doña Ana County Animal Control office will host three free spay and neuter clinics through August to reduce overpopulation and the number of animals going into local shelters.

The county said each clinic will operate from 6 a.m. to noon on these dates:

Organ: July 20-22

La Mesa: July 27-29

Village of Doña Ana: Aug. 3-5

Pet owners have to be from the listed unincorporated areas of the county to participate, the county said.

To spay or neuter a pet owners must follow these steps the county provided:

Schedule an appointment online. Limit one pet per client per day.

Arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled appointment.

Follow all pre-surgery instructions provided after the appointment is confirmed, including fasting pets the night before surgery.

Properly restrain pets; dogs must be leashed and cats must be transported in secure carriers.

Upload vaccination records through the online portal. Pets must be fully vaccinated at least two weeks before the surgery.

Pets must be at least six months old.

Bring an e-collar for each pet.

Expect to leave pets at the clinic for several hours.

Additionally, the county shared restrictions for pets. Owners shouldn’t take their pet to the clinics if they are:

Ill, injured or have an infection

Not fully vaccinated

Younger than six months

Older than two years

Pregnant, nursing or in heat

Obese for its breed or size

Weights less than five pounds or more than 40 pountds

Have fleas or ticks

Displays aggressive or feral behavior

A Doberman due to blood clotting concerns

A brachycephalic breed (pug, bulldog, boxer, pekinese) due to respiratory risks

Doesn’t have an e-collar available after surgery

To schedule an appointment, click here.

Click here to follow the original article.

ICE arrests woman on probation with crystal meth trafficking conviction: DHS

Gabrielle Lopez

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) — The Department of Homeland Security said U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrested a convicted meth trafficker from Mexico Wednesday. ICE said Martha Sias, who’s from Mexico and has a green card, is amendable to removal proceedings because of her criminal history. She was on probation at the time of her arrest, according to court documents.

According to documents filed by the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office, Sias was arrested after authorities found crystal meth in her SUV at the Paso Del Norte Port of Entry Jan. 12, 2022.

At the time, a Customs and Border Protection officer conducted operations to identify vehicles or people that may be trying to smuggle illegal items. The officer approached a Ford Expedition with New Mexico registration, which Martha Sias drove, documents said. Her husband, Oscar Ochoa, was also in the Ford.

The officer initiated an x-ray scan of the Ford and found “odd shaped bundles,” according to documents.

During questioning, Sias said they went to Juarez to sign up customers for OMNILIFE supplements she sold, documents said.

When asked if she was bringing in any plants, fruits, meat, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, drugs or anything illegal, Sias said “no.” Documents noted she also said no when asked if anyone paid or threatened her to bring anything illegal into the U.S. or to take anything from the U.S. into Mexico.

Officers noticed the Ford’s doors seemed “unusually heavy” and had difficulty opening them during the inspection, documents said. Officers then sent Sias and Ochoa to a secondary inspection.

During the secondary inspection, Sias drove the Ford through an x-ray, which found “anomalies” in both rear doors, prompting a full vehicle search.

CBP officers found several taped bundles hidden in the rear door panels. In total, officers found 18 bundles, documents said.

The bundles tested positive for methamphetamines with a weight of 20.6 pounds.

Authorities arrested Sias and Ochoa. CBP contacted the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office for state referral and prosecution. At the time, the couple was released form the scene pending further state investigation, documents said.

According to court documents, in October 2025, Sias pleaded guilty to manufacture or delivery of a controlled substance — a second-degree felony. She was sentenced to 10 years of supervised probation.

Friday, a DHS spokesperson said Sias will receive full due process and has an upcoming hearing after her arrest Wednesday.

“Possessing a green card is a privilege, not a right. Under our nation’s laws, our government has the authority to revoke a green card if our laws are broken and abused,” the DHS spokesperson said.

Click here to follow the original article.

Good Vibes Only: Father-daughter bond during El Paso Fire’s Summer Youth Academy

Rosemary Garcia

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA)—A local father-daughter duo shared a special bond during the El Paso Fire Department Youth Academy. The camp returned earlier this summer for two weeks of hands-on training.

This year, the academy was split into two sessions tailored by age groups. The camp provides a unique opportunity for Borderland children and teens to dive deep into the world of firefighting. Participants aged 10-17 are able to learn about fire safety, search-and-rescue operations and teamwork.

12-year-old Alyanna Garcia applied and was accepted into this year’s academy.

Her father, Battalion Chief Miguel Garcia, a 20-year veteran at the El Paso Fire Department, first approached her about it and asked if she would be interested.

“She was very excited to participate. So it’s a good opportunity for me to show her what I had to go through in my academy. It’s a small glimpse of what I had to endure,” he said.

Chief Garcia witnessed his daughter participating in several obstacles, including rappelling off a five-story training tower. He was there as she was preparing to descend, coaching her through every step.

“It’s a proud moment for me to see her navigate through those challenges mentally and physically. And it’s a proud moment for me as a father to see her, you know, tough it out and do the small things that, her dad got to do,” Chief Garcia told ABC-7.

He said his daughter has previously expressed interest in a nursing career, so he was excited when she decided to try out the academy.

“It’s a great opportunity, especially with my dad. I wanted to feel how, what my dad went through when he was going through the fire camp,” Alyanna said.

Participants were also able to work on team-building, physical training, and trauma care.

After this week, Alyanna said she is now considering a career in firefighting. Now, she has a new appreciation for the line of her work her father is involved in.

“The work that he does really inspires me to come each day and do the best I can,” she said.

Click here to follow the original article.

Ruidoso Downs Racetrack and Casino to temporarily close due to damaged culvert

Gabrielle Lopez

RUIDOSO, N.M. (KVIA) — Thursday, the Ruidoso Downs Racetrack and Casino announced a temporary closure due to a faulty culvert damaged by floodwaters last year.

In a news release, the racetrack said the New Mexico Department of Transportation suggested the temporary closure. The racetrack is within a flood-prone area.

“We requested that the New Mexico Department of Transportation inspect the condition of the culvert located at the entrance,” said Ruidoso Downs General Manager Rick Baugh. “The results of the investigation have confirmed our decision to temporarily close the casino and horse race simulcast operations to the public.”

In an NMDOT letter, an engineer wrote, “I recommend closing this entrance before further damage can be caused to the roadway and to ensure the safety of the traveling public.”

The entrance leading up to the Ruidoso Downs Racetrack and Casino as seen on July 1, 2026.(Courtesy: KVIA)

A view of the same area as seen in July 2025.(Courtesy: Sandy Eggo)

The letter said the culvert has numerous areas of bulging and deformation up to four feet on the bottom and 18 inches on the top.

Main+entrance+road+culvert+closureDownload

The New Mexico Gaming Control Board will decide whether to approve the closure, according to the news release. The board will have an emergency meeting Wednesday, July 22, in Albuquerque.

“We recognize the impact this decision has on our employees, business partners, and loyal patrons,” said Baugh. “However, the safety of every individual who enters our property must remain our foremost consideration. Given the heightened flood risk during the monsoon season and concerns surrounding the condition of the main entrance culvert, we believe this closure is the prudent and responsible decision.”

ABC-7 spoke with Crawford the week of the one-year anniversary of the deadly flood that happened in Ruidoso — the same flood that damaged the racetrack.

“It’s in our DNA here in Ruidoso. The racetrack helped build this community. And so it’s important to all of us that we get it back,” Crawford told ABC-7.

Crawford said he was expecting an inspection report for the casino soon.

“Well, the state engineers just condemned that bridge last Thursday or Friday. Well, verbally and we haven’t got the report, so I know it’s coming. So that means we’re going to have to tear that bridge out. And where do we get the money? And so this is a whole new chapter. You know, same day, different stuff. And so that’s what we’re working on,” Crawford said.

Ruidoso Downs said patrons of Billy the Kid Casino and the horse rase simulcast area should visit the casino before the end of business Sunday and redeem any cash or mutuel vouchers.

The racetrack said there will be a mail-in system available to redeem outstanding vouchers within the next 60 days.

Patrons that wish to mail-in vouchers may do so at the following address: Ruidoso Downs Racetrack, PO Box 449, Ruidoso Downs, New Mexico, 88346.

The news release said horse racing season will continue Fridays-Sundays at Downs of Albuquerque and on Labor Day (Sept. 7).

Additionally, the New Mexico Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred Sale (Aug. 15) and All American Select Sale (Sept. 4-5) will continue as scheduled at the Ruidoso Downs Horse Sales Pavilion, the news release said.

Click here to follow the original article.

Rep. Vasquez meets with NTSB officials to discuss deadly medical plane crash

Gabrielle Lopez

(KVIA) — U.S. Representative Gabe Vasquez said he met with National Transportation Safety Board officials Tuesday to find answers for the deadly medical plane crash that happened near Ruidoso in May. Rep. Vasquez said the discussion came after reports said military testing may have played a role in the crash.

The NTSB conducts investigations into transportation safety incidents, including plane crashes.

On May 14, a medical transport plane crashed in the Capitan Mountains area, killing all four passengers on board. The crash also sparked the Seven Cabins wildfire that has since burned more than 31,000 acres, Rep. Vasquez said.

The passengers — two Generation Jets pilots and two Trans Aero MedEvac flight nurses — planned to pick up a patient in Ruidoso. An NTSB report said the flight took off at 11:52 p.m. and crashed at 12:15 a.m.

(Courtesy: NTSB)

In June, the NTSB released a preliminary report that said the aircraft’s pilot had navigational issues while jamming technology testing was underway by the Department of War.

“No pilot or their passengers should fly in uncertain conditions with multiple challenging circumstances that are preventable, but outside of their control. My prayers are with the families of those who passed and I promise them to get answers and prevent future tragedies,” Rep. Vasquez said in a statement.

On May 18, Trans Aero MedEvac identified the four victims of the crash:

Keelan Clark, Generation Jets Pilot

Ali Kawsara, Generation Jets Pilot

Sarah Clark, Trans Aero MedEvac Flight Nurse

Jamie Novick, Trans Aero MedEvac Flight Nurse

Rep. Vasquez will run against the Republican nominee for U.S. House District 2, Greg Cunningham, in November.

Click here to follow the original article.