Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce hosts appreciation lunch attended by hundreds

Sam Ross

POCATELLO, Idaho (KIFI)– The Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce hosted its annual Appreciation BBQ lunch on Friday to thank the hundreds of area businesses that make up the chamber.

“We’re a big membership organization, so we want to make sure they know we appreciate them,” said Matt Hunter, president and CEO of the Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce. “And it’s another opportunity for our members to get to know each other, to meet each other, to see each other; it’s almost like a networking event, but it’s also an appreciation lunch so we get a lot of folks out here.”

Currently, the Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce is made up of over 800 local businesses and organizations.

For more information on the Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce and its members, you can visit their website at www.pocatelloidaho.com.

Click here to follow the original article.

Colorado Coroner accused of hiding bodies in secret room at his privately-owned funeral home

News Team

By Celeste Springer, KRDO

PUEBLO COUNTY, Colo. (KRDO) — In a bizarre turn of events, 13 Investigates has uncovered that the Pueblo County Coroner is accused of hiding bodies in a secret room of his privately-owned funeral home, Davis Mortuary.

According to records by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA), Brian Cotter’s funeral home was due for an inspection on Wednesday. When inspectors arrived, they noted “a strong odor of decomposition.”

Later, inspectors said they noticed a door was hidden by a cardboard display. When they went to remove the display, inspectors say Cotter asked them not to go inside, according to DORA’s records.

Inspectors did not follow Cotter’s request; when they entered, they said they found bodies in various stages of decomposition.

“Mr. Cotter stated that the bodies were awaiting cremation and admitted that some bodies had been in the room for approximately fifteen years,” suspension records say.Additionally, Cotter allegedly told inspectors that he “may” have given family members of the deceased fake cremated remains.

Inspectors allege that Cotter failed to take action to embalm, refrigerate, cremate, bury, or entomb human remains within 24 hours.

According to the lead agency, the Colorado Bureau of Investigations (CBI), officials have set up a victim assistance line/tip line, which families can reach at (719)257-3359. Families also email the CBI at CBITIPS@state.co.us.

According to suspension records, Davis Mortuary is ordered to cease operations, pending proceedings.

Who is Brian Cotter?

According to Pueblo County, Brian Cotter has over 20 years of experience working with the Pueblo County Coroner’s Office. He was first elected in 2014, with his current term slated to sunset in 2027.

Davis Mortuary is a privately owned funeral home with Cotter listed as the appointed designee, according to DORA records.

The funeral home has been in operation for over 100 years and was purchased by Brian and Chris Cotter back in 1989, according to their website.

“The Cotter brothers brought with them to the Davis Mortuary the ‘old school’ ways of caring for families in need, which they learned from their father, who owned and operated several funeral homes in Kansas, Nebraska, and Southern Colorado,” reads the website.

Striking similarities

Those living in Southern Colorado are likely to notice similarities between these allegations and those in a separate case out of Penrose, Colorado.

There, funeral home owners Carie and Jon Hallford were accused of allowing close to 200 bodies to stack up at their funeral home, Return to Nature.

KRDO 13 Investigates was first to break the story. Our coverage helped contribute to the drafting of new legislation providing oversight in the funeral home industry.

To read all our reports on that case, click here.

For all of our latest reports on the Davis Mortuary case, click here.

Click here to follow the original article.

Willow Creek Fire: Crews battling 15-acre wildfire in the Bridger-Teton National Forest

Seth Ratliff

AFTON, Wyoming (KIFI) — Bridger-Teton National Forest rangers and their partners are actively working to suppress a 15-acre wildfire burning southwest of the town of Smoot, WY. The Willow Creek Fire was first reported today, and additional resources have been ordered to fully suppress the fire.

For updates or further information, click HERE.

Click here to follow the original article.

Museum of Idaho to host egyptologists for a weekend of special events

News Team

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI) — This September, the Museum of Idaho is bringing a touch of ancient Egypt to Idaho Falls. The museum, which is currently hosting the popular Mummies of the World exhibit, will welcome two world-renowned Egyptologists for a special weekend of events.

Brier and Remler | Courtesy of Dr. Bob Brier via Museum of Idaho

Dr. Bob Brier, a leading authority on mummies and ancient Egypt, will be joined by author and art historian Patricia Remler for a series of talks and Q&A sessions. Brier, often called “Mr. Mummy,” is famous for creating MUMAB, the first modern mummy made with ancient Egyptian techniques. Remler is the author of Egyptian Mythology A–Z and an expert in Egyptian art and culture.

MUMAB is on display at the Museum of Idaho

Special Events with the Experts

Film Screening with Expert Commentary

Audiences are invited to a special screening of the 1999 action-adventure classic The Mummy at the ISU Auditorium. Dr. Brier will offer live expert commentary, providing insights into what the film gets right (and wrong) about Egyptology, ancient tombs, and mummification.

Friday, September 5: 7:00 PM

Tickets for this special evening are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. To reserve your spot, click HERE.

Meet the Egyptologists in the Galleries

Explore the Mummies of the World exhibit with the experts themselves. Dr. Brier and Patricia Remler will be in the Ancient Egypt and MUMAB galleries to share the story of MUMAB and answer your questions about Egyptian art, mythology, science, and mummification. This is a unique opportunity to gain new insights into the exhibit directly from those who know it best.

Friday, September 5: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM

Saturday, September 6: 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM

These sessions are free with museum admission. Remember, admission is always free for museum members.

MOI After-Hours Speaker Series: The Making of MUMAB

Join Dr. Brier for a captivating evening talk on the creation of MUMAB. Learn the secrets behind his groundbreaking research as he explains how he re-created ancient Egyptian embalming practices. Following his presentation, you’ll have the chance to see MUMAB up close inside the exhibit and continue the conversation with Dr. Brier.

When: Saturday, September 6, from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Location: Museum of Idaho

Tickets for this special evening are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. To reserve your spot, click HERE.

Click here to follow the original article.

Rexburg’s Meals on Wheels Needs You: Volunteer drivers urgently needed

Ariel Jensen

REXBURG, Idaho (KIFI) — The Madison County Meals on Wheels program is in urgent need of volunteer drivers to help serve 80 to 100 people a week. To meet this growing demand, the program needs at least 10 more volunteers to join its team of 20 dedicated drivers.

The program’s mission is twofold: to provide nutritious meals to seniors who are unable to shop for or prepare food, and to conduct a vital wellness check. This brief visit ensures that each senior is doing well, offering peace of mind to their families and the community.

“We wouldn’t have what we have without these seniors who have gone before us,” says Executive Director of the Madison County Senior Citizen Center Melissa Hope. “It is our responsibility as a community to watch out for them and to take care of them.”

Hope adds that volunteers are “the best people” and invites new volunteers to “be a part of a great team.” If you’re not comfortable with driving, the program also needs delivery volunteers who can walk meals to the front door and greet seniors.

To learn more or volunteer, call this number (208) 356-0080 or click HERE.

Click here to follow the original article.

“Swatting” Call: False hostage report prompts major police response in Rexburg

News Team

REXBURG, Idaho (KIFI) — A prank 911 call led to a significant police response in a Rexburg neighborhood this afternoon. According to Rexburg Police, its officers were dispatched to a home in the Henderson Subdivision near Park Street after receiving a report of a hostage situation.

After arriving and securing the area, officers determined the call was a hoax, commonly known as “swatting.” This dangerous prank involves a false report to emergency services with the intent of sending a large number of law enforcement officers, often including a SWAT team, to a specific address.

“The area is safe and there is no threat to the public,” the Rexburg Police Department stated in a Facebook post.

The post did not name the individual who made the false report or comment on any potential charges/arrests. However, under Idaho law, a fake 911 call is a misdemeanor offense punishable by up to one year in county jail, a fine of up to $1,000, or both.

Click here to follow the original article.

Local News 8 talks with Idaho Falls city office candidates

Noah Farley

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI) — There are only a few days left for people to file as a candidate to run for office in the Idaho Falls.

Local News 8 spoke with one of the candidates for mayor, Jeff Alldridge, who is running for office for the first time. He feels there needs to be better communication between citizens and city leaders. He says more efforts should be made to improve relationships with the public.

“I want to try to restore faith and trust with the city government and the people,” Alldridge said. “And try to do policies that match what the citizens want rather than the ideology that the current leadership is pushing.”

Alldridge is running against Lisa Burtenshaw, who has served on the Idaho Falls City Council since 2021. We are waiting to hear back from her to share her goals for the city.

Local News 8 also spoke with Jim Francis, who is running for re-election to Seat 4 on the Idaho Falls City Council. If re-elected, this would be his third term. Francis wants to continue a pattern he says has been emphasized over the last 12 years—transparency in government.

“Particularly in the budgeting process,” Francis said. “So the people of the community have a chance to look at exactly what the budget is and and what it all means.”

People have until 5 p.m. on Friday, August 29, to file as a candidate. After that, they will have a week to withdraw.

The following candidates are running for city office.

Mayor:

Jeff Alldridge

Lisa Burtenshaw

City Council Seat 2:

Jordan Bardsley

Teresa Dominick

Brandon Lee

Mosy Moran

James T. Skinner

City Council Seat 4:

Jared Dominick

Jim Francis 

City Council Seat 6:

Jim Freeman

Click here to follow the original article.

Back-to-School hairstyle ideas

Kailey Galaviz

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI) – Back-to-school season is here, and with it comes early mornings, long checklists and the stress of the perfect hairstyle.

Troy and Brandee Gordo from Graffiti Beauty and Barber are setting us up with some quick and easy styles to get you out the door. Click play to watch.

Click here to follow the original article.

Dollar Lake Fire grows to over 11,510 acres in Bridger Teton National Forest

Seth Ratliff

UPDATE:

SUBLETTE COUNTY, Wyoming (KIFI) — The Dollar Lake Fire has now grown to an estimated 11,510 acres and 0% containment, as of Monday afternoon.

ORIGINAL:

SUBLETTE COUNTY, WYO (KIFI) — A sense of urgency is growing today in Sublette County, Wyoming, as a fast-moving wildfire, dubbed the Dollar Lake Fire, forced ongoing evacuations over the weekend. As of Monday morning, the fire has consumed more than 9,800 acres since it began last Thursday from a lightning strike and remains at zero percent containment.

A mandatory GO evacuation order is in effect for a five-mile radius around Dollar Lake and for the Red Cliff Bible Camp. Residents in the Kendall Valley area are currently at a READY evacuation status, meaning they should be prepared to leave at a moment’s notice.

Follow evacuation updates from the Sublette County Sheriff’s Office HERE.

The Bridger-Teton National Forest has issued a closure order for the area around the fire, including the Green River Lakes Road. The closure is to ensure public and firefighter safety. Additionally, Stage 1 fire restrictions are in effect across the entire forest.

Fire officials will update the community at a meeting tomorrow night, August 26, at six pm at the Sublette County Public Library, 155 S. Tyler Ave. in Pinedale.

Fire officials will provide a public update on Tuesday, August 26, at 6:00 PM at the Sublette County Public Library, located at 155 S. Tyler Ave. in Pinedale. For more information on firefighting efforts and incident details, click HERE.

Click here to follow the original article.

Willow Creek Fire grows to over 3,800 acres, Evacuation orders downgraded for Gomms Pond area

Seth Ratliff

UPDATE:

AFTON, Wyoming (KIFI) — Lincoln County Homeland Security & Emergency Management has downgraded an evacuation order for residents south of Gomms Pond, allowing them to return to their homes as the Willow Creek Fire continues to burn in the Bridger-Teton National Forest.

The status for the area has been moved from a “GO” to a “SET” level, meaning residents are no longer under a mandatory evacuation. However, they are advised to remain ready to evacuate at short notice if fire conditions change.

The Willow Creek Fire has now grown to over 3,820 acres. Fire officials are actively working to contain the blaze, which is currently at 0% containment. U.S. Highway 89, which was temporarily closed due to the fire, has since reopened, but motorists are advised to use caution and be aware of fire vehicles and crews in the area.

ORIGINAL:

AFTON, Wyoming (KIFI) — U.S. Highway 89 has reopened in both directions after a temporary closure due to the Willow Creek Fire, which has now grown to over 3,820 acres in the Bridger-Teton National Forest near the Idaho-Wyoming border.

The Wyoming Department of Transportation announced the reopening on Sunday evening. The highway was closed Saturday evening as a precautionary measure due to the fire’s proximity to the road. While the route is currently open, WYDOT officials have warned that temporary closures may be necessary if the fire encroaches on the roadway again. Drivers are urged to remain vigilant and avoid stopping along the side of the highway to view the fire, as it poses a safety risk to both emergency crews and other motorists.

The Willow Creek Fire, which was first reported on Friday, remains at 0% containment as of Monday. Fire crews are working to prevent its spread, with air support dropping retardant to keep the flames west of Highway 89 and protect private property, according to a post by the Forest Service.

In addition to the road closure, the fire prompted evacuation orders for residences from milepost 75 south to Salt Pass, primarily near Gomm’s Pond Lane, as well as all homes and campgrounds south of County Road 155. Authorities recommend that residents sign up for emergency alerts to stay informed of any future developments, HERE.

In the event of another evacuation, a shelter has been set up at the Afton National Guard Readiness Center, 391 Warrior Way, Afton, WY 83110, USA.

Click here to follow the original article.