Living Desert’s striped hyena, Kip, dies

Jesus Reyes

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ) – The Living Desert announced the death of the zoo’s striped hyena Kipenzi, affectionately known as Kip by guests and those who cared for him.

Kip arrived at the Living Desert from the San Diego Zoo in 2014. He quickly became a staff and guest favorite.

Zoo officials said that last week, Kip exhibited some sudden difficulty in breathing and was immediately rushed to the Vet Hospital for testing. The team was unable to find an immediate underlying cause for his distress and despite numerous attempts at medical intervention to help him recover, Kip continued to decline.

“The sad decision was made to compassionately release him,” officials said.

Kip was 19 years old. The maximum life expectancy of a striped hyena in human care is 24 years old.

“Kip taught everyone who worked with him about perseverance and patience, it was his innate nature to be skeptical of anything new, and it was one of the many things his care team loved him for. He became a guest favorite for his majestic appearance and demeanor and to say he will be greatly missed by all who knew him would be an understatement,” Zoo officials wrote.

Click here to follow the original article.

Desert Healthcare District and Foundation provides a grant for a new “Planned Parenthood”

Peter Daut

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ)– The Desert Healthcare District and Foundation has provided a new $236,000 grant to “Planned Parenthood.”

The grant aims to help the organization pay for its first Coachella Valley based physician. 

Planned Parenthood says this will help it to expand sexual and reproductive healthcare access, including low-income communities across our valley.

The Desert Healthcare District and Foundation CEO says bringing on the new physician will help to provide our community a variety of lifesaving services. 

“Some of those services include support for menopause management, gynecology type issues. There’s a special procedure called Leap, which helps to treat pre-cancerous conditions and cancer.” says Chris Christensen, CEO of Desert Health District and Foundation.

The District and Foundation has a grant program that awards about five million each year to advance community wellness. 

Stay with News Channel 3 for more information. 

Click here to follow the original article.

Texas flooding updates: At least 108 people dead

abc-news

By Emily Shapiro, Jack Moore, Nadine El-Bawab, and Ivan PereiraLast Updated: July 8, 2025, 11:55 AM PDT

At least 108 people are dead after heavy rain led to devastating flooding in Texas.

Kerr County was hit the hardest, with at least 87 deaths, including 30 children. President Donald Trump signed a disaster declaration for the county and the Federal Emergency Management Agency is on the ground there.

Click here to follow the original article.

Power outage leaves Palm Springs Pavilion and Swim Center closed since Saturday

Haley Meberg

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ)- Palm Springs Pavilion and Swim Center is temporarily closed due to a power outage. 

This Saturday, it was announced that The Palm Springs Pavilion and Swim Center would be closed due to a power outage from equipment failure at Sunrise Park causing the city to cancel Fourth of July festivities including the Dive-In Movie and the Power Baseball game. 

Currently, backup generators are providing power to key facilities including the Palm Springs Public Library and Leisure Center.

There have not been any updates as to when the Palm Springs Pavilion and Swim Center and Power Baseball Stadium are set to reopen but the City of Palm Springs plans to set new dates for the canceled events.

For more information on this topic contact the Park and Recreation Dept. at (760) 323-8272 or email recinfo@palmspringsca.gov.

Stay with News Channel 3 for more updates

Click here to follow the original article.

Structure fire breaks out in Windy Cove area north of Palm Springs

Jesus Reyes

COACHELLA VALLEY, Calif. (KESQ) – Firefighters are working to contain a structure fire in the Windy Cove area north of Palm Springs.

The fire was reported at around 1:10 p.m. on the 15000 Block of La Vida Drive in the county area of Palm Springs.

According to CAL FIRE, there was “heavy smoke and fire from a residential structure.”

No injuries have been reported.

We have a crew on the way to the scene to gather more details. Stay with News Channel 3 for continuing updates.

Click here to follow the original article.

13-acre brush fire in Banning 100 percent contained

Jesus Reyes

UPDATE: 7/7/2025 7:00 PM – CAL FIRE reports that the fire is 100 percent contained and the fire burned a total of 13 acres.

BANNING, Calif. (KESQ) –  A vegetation fire that broke out today burned 13 acres in the Banning area before crews stopped its forward spread.   

The non-injury blaze was reported shortly before 12:45 p.m. Monday at Bluff Street, north of Mias Canyon Road, according to the Riverside County Fire Department.   

Crews will be at the scene for an additional two hours for mop-up and full containment.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

Click here to follow the original article.

Ringo Starr celebrates his annual “Peace & Love” campaign with help from local elementary school choir

Haley Meberg

COACHELLA VALLEY, Calif. (KESQ)- Coachella Valley Adopt the Arts Honor Choir helped Ringo Starr celebrate his 85th Birthday with the annual “Peace & Love” campaign on July 7 with the help of the Artemis Space Program.

Adopt the Arts Honor Choir is a program made up of 3rd-5th graders from four different elementary schools in the Coachella Valley that is set to perform in a music video adaptation of Starrs hit “Give More Love.” 

The video showcases students from all different backgrounds singing alongside a few legendary friends like Mick Fleetwood, Stewart Copeland, Fred Armisen, Jane Lynch, Jane Seymour, John Stamos and longtime Beatles collaborator Peter Ashe to emphasize the legacy that Starr’s music has on future generations. 

Monday marks the celebration of his birthday, Ringo Starr along with his friends and family is set to gather for his annual “Peace & Love” celebration filled with special guests, musical tribute performances and a broadcasted message set to reach the moon and back. 

T Bone Burnette is set to MC this event and performers from 38 different countries are all coming together to spread this message of peace and love as it orbits the planet. 

With the help of Goonhilly Earth Station and the Artemis Space Program this event will be beamed up to the moon and back to earth. Following this transmission the message of Peace and Love will be sent to the International Space Station (ISS) where it will continue across the universe to distant stars. 

“It’s so great how this keeps growing – we are in 38 countries!!! And we can’t forget the guys in the spaceship! I want to give thanks to the crew up in the ISS and the teams getting the message to the moon and back…Artemis, Intuitive Machines…meanwhile here on Earth, I am sending special thanks to all the Peace & Love Ambassadors for all they do in each of their countries. So see you on Monday and remember all you have to do to participate is post, say or even just think Peace & Love at Noon your local time,” said Ringo Starr. 

To support the Coachella Valley, Adopt the Arts Honor Choir visit https://adoptthearts.org/ and stay with News Channel 3 for more updates. 

Click here to follow the original article.

Local family displaced after a stranger’s illegal Fourth of July fireworks landed in their backyard, destroying home

Tori King

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) — An Indio family has nothing left, after their home of forty years went up in flames. The entire family is now displaced, saying an illegal firework destroyed their home while they were sleeping.

According to a GoFundMe set up by some of the family members, a stray firework, set off illegally by a stranger nearby, landed in their backyard, catching the home on fire.

Mayra Garcia, a resident of the home, says they were abruptly woken up on the night of the Fourth of July but a man who was a stranger, pounding on their door. “I was just in the middle of the hallway when somebody hits the window really, really hard,” said Garcia. “They opened my door because it was unlocked, and they’re like, the house is on fire. He kept saying, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

Every family member managed to make it out safely, but they only had time to take the clothes on their backs. As of now, the home appears to be a total loss.

“We’re temporarily staying at a hotel, and we’re living out our cars,” said Jajuan Martin, Garcia’s husband. “Our kids are like, we’re homeless. My son, he took it pretty bad, you know. He was crying really, really hard. And he’s a tough boy. It’s hard to watch as a dad.”

Now, with the help of the red cross and the community, the family is working to get back on their feet again. However, Martin owns a landscaping company, and all of his tools were burned during the fire, which started in the backyard. Now, he’s wondering how he can get back to work without them.

“It was at least $10,000 worth of tools I’ve bought over the years,” said Martin. “They were all destroyed, theres nothing left.”

The couple says people have already shown them kindness and generosity amid the devastation.

“We have received donations already,” said Garcia. “I know my friends, my coworkers have given clothes, his friends, have given the kids clothes. And it just, it melts my heart, just how you know everybody’s helping.”

The family is now looking for support, releasing this statement:

“This fundraiser is to help her family begin the long road to recovery and rebuilding. Any amount you can give, no matter how small, will make a meaningful difference during this incredibly difficult time.

Your support, kindness, and generosity are deeply appreciated.”

Donations can be made here.

According to the Indio Police Department, investigators are working to identify the possible suspect that could be responsible for setting off the firework that ignited the fire.

CalFire confirmed to KESQ that it did respond to the incident, but did not confirm whether the fire was sparked by a firework. As of right now the incident remains under investigation.

Click here to follow the original article.

One person shot in Coachella Monday morning

Jesus Reyes

COACHELLA, Calif. (KESQ) – One person has been rushed to the hospital after being shot Monday morning in Coachella.

The shooting was reported at around 10:00 a.m. at a residence in the 84000 block of Avenue 51, the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office confirmed.

Authorities said a caller told dispatch that a man had been shot during a dispute.

“When deputies arrived they rendered medical aid to the victim and had him transported to a local hospital in stable condition,” RSO wrote in an email to News Channel 3.

A suspect was located in a separate structure on the property, where he was taken into custody, the agency confirmed.

The investigation remains ongoing. Stay with News Channel 3 for any updates.

Click here to follow the original article.

CCFD reflects on LA Fires 6 months later

Allie Anthony

CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. (KESQ) – Six months ago, firefighters from the Cathedral City Fire Department were called in for mutual aid during the Los Angeles fires.

Cathedral City firefighters responded swiftly, joining crews from across the state in a coordinated mutual aid program to battle the fire.

News Channel 3 is speaking with those firefighters as they reflect on their experiences and the lessons learned from the front lines.

For resources for those still recovering from the LA Wildfires, head to this link.

Click here to follow the original article.