Transient pleads not guilty to robbing Banning businesses

City News Service

BANNING, Calif. (KESQ) – A 37-year-old transient accused of holding up two businesses in Banning using a fake gun pleaded not guilty today to second- degree robbery and other offenses.  

Codi Jay Shelton was arrested last week following a Banning Police Department investigation.

Along with robbery, Shelton is charged with sentence-enhancing allegations of using a weapon during the commission of a felony and being a prior-strike felon.

He was arraigned Monday before Riverside County Superior Court Judge Mark Singerton, who scheduled a felony settlement conference for Jan. 2 at the Banning Justice Center.

The defendant is being held in lieu of $1 million bail at the Smith Correctional Facility.  

According to police, at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Shelton allegedly approached the counter of a Jack-in-the-Box restaurant at 6350 W. Ramsey St. and flashed what appeared to be a handgun, prompting staff to back away.   

“The subject stole cash from one of the registers and fled on foot,” police Capt. Brandon Smith said.

He said patrol officers responded to restaurant employees’ 911 calls and initiated a search of the area, based on descriptions, which indicated the perpetrator had “tattoos on his face.” However, the bandit couldn’t be located.   

Officers reviewed security surveillance video from inside the eatery and confirmed the alleged robber’s identity — Shelton, Smith said.   

The defendant was located less than three hours later and taken into custody without incident on West Beaumont Avenue.   

Smith said a replica pistol and cash from the robbery were allegedly seized from Shelton.  

During the investigation, officers also tied him to a hold-up that occurred early Sunday morning at a Walgreens on North Highland Avenue, where a man matching the defendant’s description threatened a clerk with what appeared to be a handgun, grabbing money from a register and running away, according to the captain.

Shelton was positively identified as the alleged robber.   

No one was injured in either hold-up.   

Court records indicated that Shelton has at least two documented prior felony convictions, but they weren’t listed.

Click here to follow the original article.

AAP Food Samaritans offering one-time grocery voucher program thanks to donation from Berger Foundation

Jesus Reyes

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – The H.N. and Frances C. Berger Foundation provided a donation to AAP – Food Samaritans for a special one-time grocery voucher program to provide immediate relief to low-income community members.

AAP’s long-standing nutritional support program provides monthly food vouchers to low-income individuals living with chronic illnesses. The program has been at capacity for years, even as requests for help continue to rise sharply.

“The need is heartbreaking and growing by the week,” said Mark Anton, Executive Director of AAP – Food Samaritans. “Our phones ring constantly with people who are struggling to buy basic groceries. While our core program is full, we couldn’t ignore the overwhelming number of calls from those in crisis.”

AAP officials said the Berger Foundation stepped forward with a donation that allows AAP to distribute one-time emergency grocery vouchers to individuals experiencing food insecurity but who do not currently receive monthly assistance from AAP.

“The Berger Foundation has always been committed to uplifting our community, especially in moments when people feel forgotten or overwhelmed,” said Catherine Reed, Executive Vice President of Charitable Programs. “No one should go hungry—especially during the holidays.”

Those in need of these one-time vouchers must call AAP – Food Samaritans directly at 760-325-8481. Supplies are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis to qualified individuals.

Anton emphasized that while the Berger Foundation’s gift is transformative, the need extends far beyond this emergency effort.

“We hope the community will join the Berger Foundation in the true spirit of Christmas,” he said. “Every contribution helps someone facing an empty cupboard during what should be a season of warmth and togetherness.”

To donate or learn more, visit www.aapfoodsamaritans.org or call 760-325-8481.

Click here to follow the original article.

Coachella Valley Invitational releases 2026 match schedule

Jesus Reyes

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) – The Coachella Valley Invitational (CVI) announced the match schedule for the 2026 preseason tournament in Indio, featuring MLS and NWSL teams.

The tournament takes place at the Empire Polo Club from February 7–21.

The CVI will host 12 Major League Soccer (MLS) and 9 National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) team, making it CVI’s largest event ever. Participating clubs will be Austin FC, Bay FC, San Jose Earthquakes, D.C. United, LA Galaxy, LAFC, Chicago Fire FC, New York City FC, Sporting Kansas City, Kansas City Current, San Diego Wave FC, Denver Summit, St. Louis City SC, Angel City FC, Portland Timbers, Portland Thorns, Minnesota United FC, Charlotte FC, Houston Dash, Utah Royals FC and Seattle Reign FC.

Both Southern California NWSL clubs, Angel City FC and San Diego Wave FC, will return to the desert for their third time. The Denver Summit FC will play their first-ever match, and Kansas City Current and Utah Royals will make their CVI debut, reinforcing the importance of the event for the NWSL clubs ahead of an exciting 2026 season.  

Due to San Diego FC’s selection in the Concacaf Champions Cup Draw, the club is unable to join the Coachella Valley Invitational. 

“2026 marks the FIFA World Cup’s return to U.S. soil and this year’s CVI not only builds momentum for the global tournament ahead but gives fans unprecedented access to the sport’s biggest stars,” the CVI said in a statement.

Early Bird pricing is now available for General Admission Day Passes and will start at $34. Pricing for General Admission Weekend Passes (Feb 7-8 and Feb 14-15) will start at $68. Pricing and savings vary by date. Early Bird Pricing ends January 5. To purchase passes, visit coachellavalleyinvitational.com/passes.  

Coachella Valley Invitational Schedule 

MLS DAY 1: Saturday, Feb. 7 

St. Louis CITY SC vs Austin FC at 11 a.m. PT 

San Jose Earthquakes vs Charlotte FC at 12 p.m. PT 

Minnesota United FC vs Sporting Kansas City at 1:30 p.m. PT 

Portland Timbers vs D.C. United at 2:30 p.m. PT 

MLS DAY 2: Sunday, Feb. 8 

LA Galaxy vs. Chicago Fire FC at 10 a.m. PT 

LAFC vs. New York City FC at 12 p.m. PT 

MLS DAY 3: Wednesday, Feb. 11 

Austin FC vs. Chicago Fire FC at 10 a.m. PT 

LA Galaxy vs. St. Louis CITY SC at 11 a.m. PT 

D.C. United vs. Minnesota United FC at 12:30 p.m. PT 

Sporting Kansas City vs New York City FC at 1:30 p.m. PT 

San Jose Earthquakes vs. Portland Timbers at 3 p.m. PT 

MLS DAY 4: Saturday, Feb. 14 

Austin FC vs Sporting Kansas City at 10 a.m. PT 

Chicago Fire FC vs. Portland Timbers at 10 a.m. PT 

Charlotte FC vs Minnesota United FC at 10 a.m. PT 

New York City FC vs San Jose Earthquakes at 1 p.m. PT 

NWSL DAY 1: Sunday, Feb. 15 

Kansas City Current vs. San Diego Wave FC at 10:30 a.m. PT 

Bay FC vs. Houston Dash at 11 a.m. PT 

Portland Thorns vs. Angel City FC at 1 p.m. PT 

Denver Summit FC vs. Utah Royals FC at 2 p.m. PT  

NWSL DAY 2: Saturday, Feb. 21 

Houston Dash vs. Portland Thorns at 10:30 a.m. PT 

San Diego Wave FC vs. Denver Summit FC at 12 p.m. PT 

Angel City FC vs. Seattle Reign FC at 1:30 p.m. PT 

The LA Galaxy Foundation Golf Tournament will return to the Coachella Valley on Friday, February 6th at Desert Willow Golf Resort. The event will give fans an opportunity to hit the links alongside LA Galaxy Players, Coaches, and Alumni while enjoying premium giveaways, games, and prizes. To participate, please visit www.lagalaxy.com/golf  

Stay with News Channel 3 for continuing updates.

Click here to follow the original article.

Man charged with stealing nearly $100K from Palm Desert senior

City News Service

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) – A 38-year-old man accused of siphoning almost $100,000 from the bank accounts of a Palm Desert senior was charged today with grand theft and financial elder abuse.  

Miguel Angel Gonzalez of Coachella was arrested Monday following a Riverside County Sheriff’s Department investigation that began in August.   

Gonzalez, who is being held at the Benoit Detention Center in lieu of $50,000 bail, was slated to make his initial court appearance Wednesday afternoon at the Larson Justice Center in Indio.

According to sheriff’s Sgt. Jeff Cryder, deputies received a report in the latter half of August alleging that Gonzalez had been involved in a years-long series of thefts targeting the victim, identified only as a resident of the 100 block of Gold Canyon Drive.

The specific relationship between the defendant and victim was not disclosed.

Cryder said detectives spent several months investigating the matter, ultimately determining that Gonzalez was allegedly responsible for unauthorized transactions in which he had diverted tens of thousands of dollars to himself for personal use.

It was unclear how the victim became aware of the alleged embezzlement.   

Deputies served an arrest warrant on Gonzalez at his home in the 84000 block of Calle Diego Monday afternoon, when he was taken into custody without incident.

He has no documented prior felony convictions in Riverside County.

Click here to follow the original article.

First look inside rebuilt Papa Dan’s after long-time restaurant was destroyed in fire

Gavin Nguyen

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ) – Papa Dan’s will soon make its return to Palm Desert, nearly a year and a half after it was destroyed in a fire.

Papa Dan’s, along with three other businesses in Palm Desert, burned down in April of 2024, after an arson attack. The restaurant first opened its doors in 1984.

It’s been a long road to recovery. Earlier this year, Ira Mosley, the owner of the long-time restaurant, recounted the hurdles he has had to overcome.

As the restaurant nears reopening early in 2026, it will be opening its doors to city leaders Wednesday afternoon to tour the new space. Ahead of that tour, for the first time, Mosley is giving News Channel 3 a chance to look inside the restaurant that has been steadily working towards rebuilding.

We’re showing you inside and hearing from Mosley about the long journey it’s taken to reopen the Palm Desert staple. Stay with us for the latest updates.

Click here to follow the original article.

Two deadly shootings in one month raise safety concerns in Indio neighborhood

Luis Avila

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) — Two separate shootings near Quail Avenue in Indio have left residents shaken in recent weeks.

On Tuesday, police responded to reports of gunfire. Officers located two crime scenes — one on Dove Street and another on Bluejay Street — and found a 23-year-old man suffering from gunshot wounds. The victim was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. No arrests have been made, and the Indio Police Department continues to investigate.

This shooting occurred just steps from an earlier deadly incident on Nov. 20, when a man was shot and killed near Quail Avenue and Bluejay Street. Four men were arrested in connection with the deadly shooting.

Stay with News Channel 3 for more on the Indio Police Department’s response.

Click here to follow the original article.

CV Link Ramon connection lacks safe pedestrian crossing while under construction

Athena Jreij

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – While the CV Link opened in November, several parts of the stretch remain unfinished including a crosswalk at the Ramon Road bridge in Palm Springs. 

The Ramon crossing stands at the entrance of Palm Springs from Cathedral City, and often sees drivers traveling at fast speeds across the bridge.

News Channel 3 reached out to the Coachella Valley Association of Governments (CVAG) for more information on their efforts to make the crossing safe.

In a statement, officials said they had originally planned an under crossing when construction to widen the bridge was finished, but have now began construction due to high demand.

Still, that leaves no safe option for riders to cross the bridge while under construction.

While News Channel 3 was on the scene, crews spotted several riders waiting up to 10 minutes for a gap in traffic to cross.

Speaking with travelers, several hailed the Link for it’s innovative connection through the Valley. However, many acknowledged the lack of safe crossways have made their travels unnerving, forcing many to turn around.

“I will not go if it’s unsafe. You know, if I have to race across, we’ll just turn around,” Sherrey and Dan Morrison from Washington state said.

“I’m not going to cross that road. No, it’s too busy. Cars don’t see you or people are fiddling with their texts. Even if you’ve got a bike lane, I’ve seen people weave in and out,” Tom Adair from Palm Springs said.

Others said they can wait for traffic, but wish the pathway had opened finished.

“Especially with the winter coming, there’s more traffic on road. So you got to wait a little bit and it’s challenging sometimes to get across, but you just have to wait … My husband won’t come with me though, because of this,” Chris Jaimerson of Palm Springs said.

CVAG says construction on the under crossing is estimated to be finished sometime next week.

Stick with News Channel 3 for continuing coverage.

Click here to follow the original article.

Shana Saquil wins December One Class at a Time award

Tauli Anderson

MECCA, Calif. (KESQ) – Helping students build independence through hands-on learning, that’s the goal for one local school teacher, and now she’s being recognized for all her hard work.

News Channel 3’s Tauli Anderson highlights the December winner for the One Class at a Time award, Ms. Shana Saquil, a teacher at Saul Martinez Elementary School.

Do you know a teacher you would like to nominate for the One Class at a Time Award? Click here to make a nomination.

Click here to follow the original article.

Long-delayed SilverRock Resort in La Quinta finds new owner

KESQ News Team

LA QUINTA, Calif. (KESQ) – After years of delays and legal wrangling, the SilverRock luxury resort in La Quinta has just closed escrow with its new owner.

As we reported, a bankruptcy judge approved a $65-million sale of the property earlier this year to Turnbridge Equities.

The long-delayed project, also known as TALUS, had been stuck in bankruptcy court for more than a year when the site’s prior owner filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The new plan reduces the project’s scope from two luxury hotels to one and includes a realigned golf course, a new clubhouse and dozens of condos.

There will be a formal presentation by the developer at the La Quinta council meeting in late January.

News Channel 3 will continue to follow the latest developments.

Click here to follow the original article.

Suspect charged in shooting that killed 23-year-old man in Indio

Jesus Reyes

Update 12/23/25

A 41-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with the deadly shooting, police said.

Gabriel Salazar was arrested on Saturday, Dec. 20, in the area of Avenue 51 and Filmore Street in Coachella, police said.

Salazar was charged with 1st degree murder, among other charges. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Dec. 31 at the Larson Justice Center in Indio.

Police said the investigation determined that on Dec. 16, Angel Ernesto Yee Mendoza, 23, was involved in an earlier shooting in the 47000 block of Dove Street. There were no known victims in that incident. Following the shooting, Mendoza drove to a residence in the 47000 block of Bluejay Street, where he and Salazar became involved in a brief verbal confrontation that escalated into an exchange of gunfire.

Mendoza was struck by gunfire and returned to his vehicle, where he became unresponsive. He was later transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

He was booked into jail and is expected to be arraigned in court on Wednesday.

Original Report 12/16/25

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) – One person was killed in a shooting in an Indio neighborhood on Tuesday afternoon.

The violence was reported at around 1:10 p.m. on the 47000 block of Dove Street, near Calhoun and Quail Street.

Sgt. Abe Plata of the Indio Police Department told News Channel 3 that officers responded to the area and located two crime scenes, one on Dove Street and the second on Blue Jay Street.

On Blue Jay Street, officers found a 23-year-old man with gunshot wounds. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Plata said no arrests had been made. The investigation remained active. Anyone with information regarding this incident was encouraged to contact the Indio  Police Department at (760) 391-4057. Anonymous tips can be provided to Crime Stoppers at (760) 341-STOP.

The shooting was just around the corner from a previous deadly shooting that occurred on Quail Avenue on Nov. 20. Four men were arrested in connection with the death of a 33-year-old man.

Stay with News Channel 3 for continuing updates.

Click here to follow the original article.