No charges will be filed against Columbia officers who shot man on Christmas Day
Ryan Shiner
COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)
No charges will be filed against Columbia Police Department officers who shot a man on Christmas Day.
Audrain County Prosecutor Jacob Shellabarger – who was named the special prosecutor in the case — wrote in a letter to the Boone County Circuit Court that he will not file charges against the officers.
“I have reviewed all reports, evidence and information regarding the December 25, 2025, shooting of Marc Lucas by the Columbia Police Department. I have found that the shooting was justified and proper under Missouri law, and although tragic, will not result in any criminal charges or further proceedings,” the May 15 letter says.
The names of the officers were not revealed.
Lucas was charged in Boone County with first-degree arson, misdemeanor first-degree trespassing, two counts of unlawful use of a weapon and a pair of misdemeanor fourth-degree assault counts.
Court documents in previous reporting say Lucas allegedly set a couch on fire at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel at Grindstone Parkway and Highway 63.
He then allegedly got into a fight with Holiday Inn Express employees after he was denied a room at that hotel, previous reporting indicates. He had also allegedly pulled out a knife during some point in the encounter.
Lucas then allegedly walked to a nearby Break Time gas station, pulled out the knife and threatened to assault someone while officers were there, the statement says.
Officers allegedly tried to use a stun gun while detaining Lucas, but Lucas then allegedly tried to attack one of the officers with a knife and he was shot, police wrote in a December press release.
Lucas was put into hospice care earlier this year.
Check back for updates.