Michigan man charged with kidnapping following Amber Alert for 12-year-old Iowa girl

By KCCI staff

Click here for updates on this story

    WATERLOO, Iowa (KCCI) — A 23-year-old Michigan man is facing multiple felony charges after a missing 12-year-old from Iowa was safely located within an hour of an Amber Alert being issued, authorities said.

The Waterloo Police Department requested the statewide Amber Alert on Sunday after the child was reported missing in Waterloo. According to police, the case developed rapidly when investigators were notified that the suspect’s vehicle had been found in Coloma Township, Michigan.

Law enforcement officers located the child in the vehicle and confirmed the child was safe.

Following an investigation, Waterloo police charged Daniyal Khan, 23, of Ann Arbor, Michigan, in connection with the incident. He faces charges of second-degree kidnapping, indecent contact with a child and sexual exploitation of a minor.

Khan was taken into custody and booked into the Berrien County Jail, where he remains held.

Authorities said no additional details are being released at this time as the investigation remains ongoing.

Please note: This story was provided to CNN Wire by an affiliate and does not contain original CNN reporting. This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.