Man charged with killing wife: ‘That man took everything from everybody’

By James Stratton

Click here for updates on this story

    KENOSHA, Wisconsin (WISN) — Prosecutors filed new charges against 33-year-0ld Marckus Plaza, accused of killing his estranged wife, Makayla Plaza, in Kenosha on April 1.

Plaza faces a first-degree intentional homicide charge and two felony counts of causing mental harm to a child. Prosecutors also charged him with misdemeanor counts of entry into a building and resisting or obstructing an officer.

All of it, related to the killing of Makayla, on April 1. Police said he led them on a 30-hour manhunt after the killing. Police arrested him after they said they found him in the basement of a salon near 75th Street and 23rd Avenue in Kenosha.

Residents had been asked to shelter in place during the search.

Police found Plaza’s estranged wife stabbed to death inside a home near 75th Street and 22nd Avenue. Police say they responded to the home on the morning of April 1, and he wouldn’t let them in. A criminal complaint said officers then went to the back of the home and saw him dragging a body in the basement.

On Monday, a court commissioner ruled Plaza be held on a $2 million bond.

“He should never be able to get out on bond and never see his children again. I can’t believe you,” Makayla’s mother said in court Monday.

“I tried so hard to help her escape his clutches, his abuse, his mistreatment,” said Makayla’s boyfriend, Korey Williams. “Everything that man put her through, I want him to feel the same fear she did that night.”

Prosecutors say a friend got a call from Makayla on the morning of April 1. That friend, according to the criminal complaint, called police fearing Makayla was in danger. In a recorded phone call with the friend, prosecutors say they can hear Makayla screaming “help,” and saying “let go of me” and “I’m sorry.” Prosecutors say Marckus can be heard saying, “Nope. It’s too late for that.”

Prosecutors say they interviewed one of the kids the pair shared, who told them “she got dead,” referring to his mother. Prosecutors say the kid had blood splatter on his clothing and “my dad do it” saying he used a knife.

Documents obtained by WISN 12 News show a Kenosha County court commissioner denied Makayla Plaza a temporary restraining order against her estranged husband in February.

Prosecutors also filed misdemeanor charges against Plaza in a separate case from February. In that case, according to a criminal complaint, Plaza shared private photos of Makayla’s boyfriend on his Snapchat and then fought him. Plaza faces misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct, battery and publishing private representation without consent. A commissioner set his bail at $2,500 in that case.

Please note: This story was provided to CNN Wire by an affiliate and does not contain original CNN reporting. This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.