MU professor weighs in on Sen. Hawley’s tariff rebate proposal

Mitchell Kaminski

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

A new bill introduced by Sen. Josh Hawley could provide American families with rebate checks worth thousands of dollars, using revenue generated from tariffs under the Trump administration.

The proposal came just days before President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday night imposing steep tariffs on 66 countries—including the European Union, Taiwan, and the Falkland Islands—set to take effect on Aug. 7. The tariffs were initially proposed for April but had been postponed twice, most recently to Aug. 1.

Hawley unveiled the legislation on Monday, aiming to return tariff revenue directly to U.S. households in the form of rebate checks.

Hawley says he got the idea from Trump, who floated the idea of rebate checks. This prompted the Missouri senator to draft legislation similar to the one he co-sponsored with Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) that provided rebate checks to people during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Hawley’s American Worker Rebate Act of 2025 aims to hand out at least $600 per person and dependent child, with up to $2,400 for a family of four. If the bill passes, the rebates would be issued as refundable tax credits linked to the 2025 tax year, potentially beginning later this year or in early 2026. However, the rebate would be reduced by 5% for joint filers earning more than $150,000 and individuals making more than $75,000. 

“I want to be clear, it would phase out for upper incomes,” Hawley told ABC 17 News. “What a great message to send to the working people of Missouri and the whole country that Trump’s policies are working for them and their government is working for them. I can’t think of a better thing to do than give them a piece of this wealth that frankly, they have earned.” 

Some of Hawley’s constituents have poured cold water on the idea, like Sen Ron Johnson (R-WI), who suggested that the money should go toward paying down the deficit. 

When asked if the idea of offering rebate checks would be counterintuitive to some of the cuts that DOGE made to reduce the deficit, Hawley brushed off the concern, saying that it isn’t new spending but rather extra money the government has gotten “because of the success of the president’s policies.”  

“The reason that the tariff money is coming in is because we’ve got all of these companies that want to do business in the United States of America,  that want to have access to American workers and are willing to pay for it, Hawley said. “I notice that the Wall Street crowd they get whatever they want, whenever they want it in terms of tax rules and special treatment and loopholes and all the rest, all the corporations get it. Why shouldn’t working people get a piece of this new wealth that, frankly, their labor is creating?” 

The proposal emerges amid growing concerns about rising costs driven by tariffs on imported goods.

Hawley says that the US is on track to raise over $150 billion from tariff revenues this year. Through June, the US has already raised $108 billion in tariff revenue alone. The Treasury Department also said on July 25, that the U.S. government posted a $27 billion surplus in June. 

According to a July 28 analysis from The Budget Lab at Yale, Trump’s tariffs could cost U.S. households an average of $2,400 in 2025, as companies pass higher tariff costs on to consumers through increased prices.

Joe Haslag, a professor in the University of Missouri’s Department of Economics, says that while tariffs do generate revenue, they also distort markets by altering supply, demand, or prices. Prices ideally reflect the true economic cost of production—including wages, equipment, and profits—but tariffs push prices away from that baseline. As a result, markets become less efficient, and consumers end up paying more for products while getting less of them in return.

“What Senator Hawley is proposing is to take the revenues from that and just give it back to people, that’s going to get rid of the transfer part of the tariff.  It won’t get rid of the distortion,” Haslag explained.  “In other words, the tariff itself is going to create this problem and there’s a technical name for it. The technical name is dead weight loss.” 

Haslag emphasized that the rebates don’t undo the underlying harm caused by tariffs.

“Just a simple return of that check will make their pockets feel better. But it’s not going to get rid of the deleterious effects of the tariffs,” Haslag said. “They distort prices and they end up harming U.S. consumers.”

However, Haslag added that handing out rebate checks does have a return on investment for lawmakers. 

“There’s a potential political return, right?  I mean, you can you can curry a lot of favor with people if you’re putting money back into their pockets,” Haslag said. “But there are a lot of options on the table, reducing the government deficit,  which seems to be coming down.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Jay Moore becomes Cole County auditor after Kehoe’s appointment

Ryan Shiner

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

Jay Moore will be Cole County’s next auditor, according to a Friday press release from Gov. Mike Kehoe’s Office.

Kehoe made the appointment on Friday. Moore replaces Mark Ruether, who announced his retirement last month.

Moore is the finance director for the Jefferson City Chamber of Commerce and has more than 30 years of experience in state government, the release says.

He has served as the budget manager for the Missouri Health Department and is a member of the United Way Fund Allocation, the release says.  

Moore has a master of business administration degree in finance from Ball State University, the release says.

Click here to follow the original article.

$2.5 million CMHS donation match extended through August

Ryan Shiner

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

The Central Missouri Humane Society announced in a Friday press release that its anonymous donor who is matching up to $2.5 million in donations has extended the match through the end of August.

Previous reporting says the money will be put toward its new campus it intends to build on a 17.5-acre property on East Brown School Road. It also states that CMHS does not receive funding from national humane organizations.

The total cost of the new building is estimated around $25 million.

The original donation match was announced for the month of July. A Friday press release says CMHS raised more than $277,000 last month from donors after the match was announced.

Click here to follow the original article.

MU to reopen Conley Avenue parking structure after year of repairs

Madison Stuerman

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

After a year of repairs, the University of Missouri announced it will be reopening the Conley Avenue Parking Structure on Friday.

The parking garage was closed on Aug. 17, 2024, for maintenance, but it was announced in October that the garage would be closed until Fall 2025 for repairs.

Records obtained by ABC 17 News show inspectors warned the school about deteriorating conditions at 511 Conley Ave around late July 2024.

MU officials said in the news release that this work was part of a larger effort to protect university infrastructure.

“The Conley reopening follows the successful on-time completion of a $5.5 million maintenance and repair project, designed to preserve and extend the life of one of our most used parking facilities,” a news release states.

Completed in 1987, the garage is the oldest on campus. There are 720 parking spots serving students, staff and faculty, according to the university.

The university is also launching its new parking program that includes pricing tiers based on location demand for staff, faculty and all students.

A spokesperson said the new program was created after the campus community was not satisfied with the limited flexibility of the previous parking model.

A new shuttle route, the MU Health Care loop, will also be added starting Friday.

Click here to follow the original article.

Missouri Senate Bill 3 faces constitutional challenge in court

Madison Stuerman

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

State Sen. Mike Moon (R-Ash Grove), State Rep. Bryant Wolfin (R-Ste. Genevieve) and a Maries County man have filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of Senate Bill 3.

The lawsuit — that was filed Thursday in Cole County — is asking a judge to declare Senate Bill 3 unconstitutional, specifically regarding the stadium subsidies for the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals.

The petition claims the bill is unconstitutional because it violates Missouri constitutional provisions with the grant of taxpayer funds to a private person, Missouri Special Law and claims the title was not clear and a change of original purpose.

“The title of this bill is taxation, and it includes things that don’t relate to taxation,” Attorney Bevis Schock said in a Thursday press conference. “There’s supposed to be only one subject, this bill has a lot of subjects: disaster relief, there’s a campaign finance provision.” 

The also lawsuit claims the bill allows elected officials to use campaign funds for personal use to pay attorneys to defend legal challenges brought against them related to the bill and that it allows some, but not all, counties to vote on the adoption of the tax credits for property tax relief.

“The appropriations described in the bill are a direct gift or bribe to the owners of the Chiefs and the Royals to stay in Missouri,” the lawsuit states.

“The stadium subsidies are a bribe paid to sports team owners to meet their extortion demand to stop them from leaving Missouri for Kansas,” Schock said in a news release. “The way the numbers workit appears the legislature and the governor are sticking taxpayers with most of the salary of Chiefs Quarterback Patrick Mahomes.”

Schock during the news conference compared Mahome’s salary with the predicted tax subsidies that teams could receive.

“He’s gotten $50 million a year. The subsidy looks like about $33 million a year. I think if you asked your average guy on the street or gal, ‘Hey you think that the taxpayer ought to be paying Mahomes? Or should the owner of the team be paying Mahomes since he’s gotten the profit when the team succeeds?,” Schock said.

The bill passed in the Missouri Senate by a vote of 19-13 during a special session. It was then passed by the Missouri House with a vote of 90-58.

Wolfin believes supporter of SB3 hid behind the need for disaster relief in Saint Louis at the time to support their own interests.

“The whole, headline of this special session was to try to reconvene, to try and get disaster relief for the Saint Louis area. The reality is that was just never true,” Wolfin said.

Lawmakers added the property tax freeze into the bill’s proposal to ensure its passing.

Gov. Mike Kehoe signed the bill into law on June 14.

The Show Me Sports Investment Act is aimed at keeping the two sports teams from moving to Kansas. The proposal would give the state’s professional sports teams access to state funding for stadium projects through new bonds, but only if certain requirements are met.

The project must cost at least $500 million and involve stadiums with more than 30,000 seats. The state could cover up to 50% of the total cost and eligible teams could also access a tax credit worth up to 10% of their investment.

Chiefs owner and CEO Clark Hunt said on Monday a final decision has not been made but said there is some urgency to make one.

Click here to follow the original article.

Woman killed in Benton County crash

Ryan Shiner

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

A 44-year-old woman from Lincoln, Missouri, was killed in a crash on Wednesday night in Benton County, according to a Missouri State Highway Patrol crash report.

The report says the crash occurred on Route H, south of Black Oak Church Road. A 2015 Ford F450 – driven by a 44-year-old Carrollton, Missouri, man — was heading northbound when it crossed the centerline and hit a 2013 Ford Edge – which was driven by the Lincoln woman — the report says.

The report says both vehicles went off the roadway and the Lincoln woman was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Ford F450 had minor injuries and was brought to Bothwell Regional Health center, the report says.

A passenger in the Ford Edge – an 11-year-old girl from Lincoln – also suffered minor injuries and was brought to Bothwell Regional Health Center, the report says.

None of the people involved in the crash were wearing seatbelts and both vehicles were totaled, according to the report.

MSHP reports do not name those involved in crashes.

Click here to follow the original article.

Indiana woman seriously injured in Pulaski County crash

Ryan Shiner

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

An Indiana woman was seriously injured in a crash that occurred Wednesday night in the westbound lane of Interstate 44 in Pulaski County, according to a crash report from the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

The report says the crash occurred when a 2018 Dodge Challenger – driven by the 53-year-old woman from Connorsville, Indiana – went off the left side of the road and the driver overcorrected. The vehicle then went off the right side of the road and overturned, the report says.

The woman was brought to Phelps Health by ambulance, the report says. She was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, according to the report.

MSHP reports do not name those involved in crashes.

Click here to follow the original article.

Boone County prosecutor announces run for associate judge

Ryan Shiner

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

Boone County’s top prosecutor has announced that he plans on running for associate judge.

A Thursday press release from Roger Johnson says he plans on running for division 11’s associate judge in 2026.

“Serving as your elected prosecutor has been a great honor,” Johnson said in the release. “It has deepened my commitment to public safety and has shown me that the most profound impact on justice happens at the judge’s bench. I’m seeking to continue in a role with broader responsibility for ensuring fairness for everyone in Boone County.”  

He was elected to the prosecutor position in 2022 and served as an assistant prosecutor 12 years’ prior, the release says. He also served as an assistant attorney general and worked at Van Matre Law Firm, P.C., the release says.

The release says he lives outside Hallsville and is a graduate of the University of Missouri. He earned his law degree from Washington University in St. Louis, the release says.

Click here to follow the original article.

Moberly man charged with child molestation

Ryan Shiner

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

A Moberly man is out on bond after he was charged with second-degree child molestation of a youth younger than 12 years old.

Kyle David Lee Tuggle posted a $40,000 bond on Thursday and has a court date scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25 at the Randolph County Courthouse. A mugshot was not immediately available.

The probable cause statement says Tuggle stopped by the victim’s residence to get paid for yard work on Sunday, July 27. The guardian of the child temporarily left the residence. Upon returning, the guardian heard the child yelling to be let go, the statement says. The adult allegedly saw Tuggle holding the victim against their will, court documents say.

The child allegedly said they were touched in an inappropriate area and Tuggle allegedly admitted to the assault to the witness, the statement says.

The victim was examined at University Hospital and gave details of the assault to law enforcement on Wednesday.  

Click here to follow the original article.

MoDOT to monitor sinkhole on Business Loop 70 across from Hickman High School

Ryan Shiner

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

The Missouri Department of Transportation will continue to monitor and fill a sinkhole that formed outside of a business on Business Loop 70 last week, across from Hickman High School.

Employees at Ashland Auto Sales told ABC 17 News on Thursday that a customer notified them about the hole last week. The business then called MoDOT crews, who initially put a metal plate over it and tried to fill it, according to information from the business and MoDOT.

MoDOT spokesperson Marcia Johnson told ABC 17 News that they were notified last Thursday about the sinkhole and crews filled it with rock and gravel on Wednesday. Crews checked again on Thursday and saw the gravel had “settled,” so it was filled again, Johnson said.

MoDOT crews plan to check the hole daily until it stops settling.

Click here to follow the original article.