Shuttered La Quinta sports bar receives suspension for supplying alcohol to minors

Haley Meberg

LA QUINTA, Calif. (KESQ)– The Beer Hunter Sports Bar & Grill in La Quinta loses liquor license after employees served alcohol to two minors resulting in great bodily injuries. 

According to the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) in January 2024, two bartenders were said to have supplied two minors with alcoholic beverages at The Beer Hunter Sports Bar & Grill without conducting proper ID checks leaving the two underaged individuals exiting the property clearly intoxicated. 

After leaving the property one of the minors backed their vehicle into a parked car, exited the vehicle and entered the roadway where they were struck by an oncoming car, causing major bodily injuries. 

Following the incident the ABC conducted an investigation where it was determined the La Quinta sports bar employees furnished the alcohol to the minors leading to the injuries.

“Keeping alcohol out of the hands of minors is one of our top priorities,” said ABC Acting Director Frank Robles. “We’re reminding businesses and their employees to check IDs carefully and do their part to keep Californians safe.”

The ABC sought disciplinary action against the bar for supplying alcoholic beverages to minors, service of alcohol to someone that was clearly intoxicated and other business-related violations resulting in the suspension of their alcohol license.

The Beer Hunter Sports Bar & Grill had closed its door September 2024 due to alleged lease issues. 

Even though the bar had been closed prior to a conclusion the ABC reported they still continued on with the investigation that had been in place. 

We asked an ABC official what this license suspension will mean for the property in which they responded, “Under the agreement with the licensee, the license is revoked, with the revocation stayed for the next 180 days to allow for transfer of the license. In addition, the license is suspended indefinitely until it is transferred.” 

No further information about the future of this bar has been released. 

Stay with News Channel 3 for more updates.

Click here to follow the original article.

Anti-mosquito spraying planned throughout Coachella Valley

Luis Avila

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) – Vector control officials will conduct anti-mosquito spraying to help prevent the spread of mosquito-borne viruses starting this week throughout the Coachella Valley.

The Coachella Valley Mosquito and Vector Control District will operate the treatment on Saturdays from 1 a.m. to 7 a.m. starting on July 19 through Sept. 6.

The agency said it will apply a wide area larvicide using truck-mounted equipment that combines high volumes of air and low volumes of liquid larvicide mixed with water. The product applied for the operation is an organic larvicide approved by the Organic Materials Review Institute and is safe for people, pets, and other insects.

The cities targeted will include Cathedral City, Palm Springs and Palm Desert.

“Every year we analyze our trap data, our mosquito abundance data from across the valley and we’ve determined that these four communities have increase mosquito at least in the last year so in order to prepare for the upcoming mosquito season, we are targeting these communities to try to eliminate any mosquito breeding.”

Robert Gaona, CV Mosquito & Vector Control District public information officer

To view a map of treatment areas and for more information, go to www.cvmosquito.org/mosquito-control-treatments-e755425.

Stay with News Channel 3 for more.

Click here to follow the original article.

Iris Williams, Rancho Mirage resident and renowned Welsh singer, dies

Jesus Reyes

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. (KESQ) – Iris Williams, a local resident and renowned singer, has died at the age of 79, according to the BBC.

Williams performed for Queen Elizabeth II at the Royal Albert Hall in London. In 2004, Queen Elizabeth II honored Williams with the title of OBE, Order of the British Empire, for her contribution to music.

In 2022, Williams spoke with News Channel 3 about her experience with Queen Elizabeth II.

Williams was a friend of President Gerald Ford, a fellow Rancho Mirage resident. She performed for the President multiple times over the years.

Click here to follow the original article.

CHP continues investigation on I-10 big rig crash, Caltrans repairs guardrail

Kendall Flynn

CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. (KESQ) – Thursday around 6:40 a.m., an I-10 westbound semi-truck veered across the center divider and overturned in the eastbound lanes near Date Palm Drive.

Authorities with the Riverside County Coroners Office identified two victims in the big rig crash as Francisco Sicairos Leon, 58, of Desert Hot Springs, and Miguel Macias, 49, of Santa Ana.

California Highway Patrol Officer David Torres confirmed the driver of the semi-truck was injured but did survive, and they are still investigating the cause of the accident. Torres said he was the first on scene yesterday, and with the semi-truck and five cars involved in the accident, there was a lot of information to take in.

Other drivers were stopped on the highway for nearly two and a half hours, while investigators took in as much information as they could. As of now they do not have an update on what caused the crash, and are continuing the investigation.

The California Department of Transportation is on site Friday repairing 44 guardrail posts, and hopes to be complete by Saturday. The guardrail was completely taken out on both sides as the big rig veered through the center divider.

Guardrails on State highways are intended to take heavy impacts at an angle and redirect errant vehicles back onto the roadway, typically not head-on impacts such as what occurred Thursday.

Friday, they are replacing the guardrail posts with steel, adding additional impact reinforcement for future incidents. Although this was a unique guardrail impact, Caltrans will continue to explore new and innovative ways to create a safer infrastructure for the motoring public and will work closely with our CHP partners once the investigation is final.

News Channel 3 is reaching out to CHP to determine what the investigation process is for a crash like this, and will be reaching out to the California Department of Transportation on repairing the guardrail to protect other drivers.

Click here to follow the original article.

Rep. Ruiz calls for resignation of DHS secretary Noem in news conference at Adelanto ICE facility

Jesus Reyes

Update:

In a letter released on Friday night , Congressman Dr. Raul Ruiz and his colleagues detailed what they called a disturbing pattern of misconduct and constitutional violations carried out by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in recent months. The letter demands that Secretary Kristi Noem resign no later than July 20, 2025, to begin restoring integrity and accountability to the Department.

“The American people deserve a leader who respects life, liberty, and the law, not one who misuses power, lacks compassion, and puts at risk the core values of our democracy, “said Congressman Dr. Raul Ruiz (CA-25). “Secretary Noem has demonstrated an alarming disregard for civil rights and has weaponized federal agencies against innocent people, including veterans, U.S. citizens, and even Members of Congress.”

Key points outlined in the letter include:

Since March 2025, more than 28,000 individuals have been detained during ICE operations including over 8,400 U.S. citizens and veterans, many without due process or proper documentation.

DHS has deployed masked ICE agents in unmarked vehicles, targeting homes, schools, workplaces, and places of worship—sowing fear and confusion in immigrant communities.

Families have been separated, and children are likely to suffer lasting trauma as a result.

In Southern California, peaceful protesters, legal observers, and journalists were met with tear gas and rubber bullets, violating their constitutional rights.

A father of three active-duty Marines was reportedly assaulted during an ICE raid, raising concerns about DHS’s treatment of veterans and their families.

Most alarmingly, U.S. Senator Alex Padilla was handcuffed and detained while conducting constitutionally protected congressional oversight. Secretary Noem’s defense of the arrest sets a dangerous precedent and threatens the separation of powers.

The letter also highlights Secretary Noem’s hypocrisy, citing her past opposition to federal overreach while governor of South Dakota, compared to her current authorization of militarized raids nationwide.

“When DHS begins detaining U.S. citizens, silencing journalists, and handcuffing Members of Congress under the guise of law enforcement, we are no longer dealing with isolated misconduct—we are facing systemic abuse,” Ruiz added. “Secretary Noem must step down.”

The full letter, calls for DHS to immediately reverse current enforcement policies that suppress oversight, endanger civil liberties, and traumatize communities across the country.

Original Report:

ADELANTO, Calif. (KESQ) – Congressman Raul Ruiz called for the immediate resignation of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem during a news conference at the Adelanto Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facility.

Ruiz was joined by Congresswoman Norma Torres.

According to Ruiz’s office, the visit follows a recent denial of entry due to a new Department of Homeland Security (DHS) policy that increases the required notice for congressional visits from 72 hours to 7 days.

Ruiz says his office submitted a request within the longstanding 72-hour timeframe, DHS denied access, citing the new policy.

More from Congressman Ruiz’s Office:

“As duly elected Members of Congress, Congressman Ruiz and Congresswoman Torres have the constitutional authority to conduct unannounced oversight of federal facilities, including those operated by ICE. Barriers like this undermine that authority, reduce transparency, and raise serious concerns about the treatment of immigrants being held by ICE. Congressman Ruiz remains committed to holding DHS and ICE accountable and to protecting the rights and dignity of all individuals in the immigration system.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Indoor businesses thrive as locals escape from summer heat

Allie Anthony

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ) – As temperatures rise this summer, indoor businesses thrive with visitors looking to beat the heat while having fun.

The Berger Iceplex is an escape from the heat, with indoor temperatures around 65 degrees. The rink offers a variety of programs for both kids and adults, including NHL Learn to Play and the Skate Academy. There’s something for every age and skill level. They also have plenty of great deals and membership opportunities.

Dave & Buster’s is another option for all ages. With a full-service restaurant and hundreds of arcade games, it’s a fun way to spend quality time with family or hang out with friends.

For those seeking cooler temperatures and stunning views of the Valley, the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is your ride to the top of the Mt. San Jacinto State Park. You’ll get up to an elevation of 8,516 feet to be greeted by over 50 miles of hiking trails.

Click here to follow the original article.

Speed limit changes in Cathedral City starting on July 25th

Cynthia White

CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. (KESQ) – Attention drivers through Cathedral City – the speed limits on some city streets will be changing as of July 25th.

The city recently completed its 2025 Engineering and Traffic Survey as a state requirement. After receiving a draft survey from a traffic engineering consultant, the City Council began discussions in May on speed limits and crashes throughout the city, with a focus on 74 roads.

A final ordinance was adopted by the city in June, listing 13 streets with speed limit adjustments that reflect current road conditions, traffic patterns, and public safety needs.

City officials report the last citywide survey was completed in 2019, extended in 2024, and now updated in 2025 in response to recent infrastructure changes and evolving traffic conditions.

They say that the adjustments taking effect on July 25th will ensure that the city’s streets are safe, up-to-date, and compliant with state law.

In total, 12 segments will see speed limit reductions, and one segment will see an increase.

Here’s a summary of the 13 roadway segments affected:

Street
From
To
Change

Date Palm Drive
Vista Chino
30th Avenue
Reduced from 55 MPH to 50 MPH

McCallum Way
Date Palm Drive
Santoro Drive
Reduced from 30 MPH to 25 MPH

McCallum Way
Santoro Drive
Da Vall Drive
Reduced from 30 MPH to 25 MPH

Mountain View Road
Varner Road
North City Limits
Reduced from 55 MPH to 50 MPH

Palm Drive
Interstate 10
Varner Road
Reduced from 60 MPH to 55 MPH

Ramon Road
Date Palm Drive
Neuma Drive
Reduced from 50 MPH to 45 MPH

Ramon Road
Neuma Drive
Da Vall Drive
Reduced from 50 MPH to 45 MPH

Santoro Drive
30th Avenue
McCallum Way
Increased from 25 MPH to 35 MPH

Varner Road
West City Limits
Edom Hill Road
Reduced from 55 MPH to 50 MPH

Vista Chino
West City Limits
Landau Blvd
Reduced from 55 MPH to 50 MPH

Vista Chino
Landau Blvd
Avenida Maravilla
Reduced from 55 MPH to 50 MPH

Vista Chino
Avenida Maravilla
Date Palm Drive
Reduced from 55 MPH to 50 MPH

City crews are already preparing to install updated signage across these roads. City officials are reminding drivers that the updated speed limits are enforceable and meant to keep everyone safe—drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians alike.

Click here to follow the original article.

Crowd faces heat at Palm Springs VillageFest

Shay Lawson

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ)  – Triple-digit temperatures Thursday evening didn’t deter people from attending Villagefest, the popular street fair in downtown Palm Springs.

Vendors, musicians and a small group of heat-defiant locals still showed up to keep the tradition alive.

VillageFest, which stretches along Palm Canyon Drive, shifts its hours during the summer from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in an effort to avoid the worst of the desert sun.

Despite the heat, several musicians still performed as pedestrians strolled past, many carrying handheld fans and icy drinks.

VillageFest continues every Thursday night throughout the summer.

For those planning to attend, officials said to dress light and stay hydrated.

Stay with News Channel 3 at 10 and 11 p.m. to hear why dozens still packed the streets.

Click here to follow the original article.

Driver safety following deadly I-10 crash involving big rig

Luis Avila

CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. (KESQ) – A crash involving a big rig Thursday morning is raising new concerns about safety on the road. A reminder of how dangerous things can be for all drivers.

Elena Patatanya, at Safeline Insurance Agency, says incidents like this are an unfortunate reminder of the risks truckers face daily.

“Common issues include driver fatigue, equipment failure, distracted driving and sometimes even poor road conditions. At Safeline we see even experienced drivers face unpredictable challenges.”

Elena Patatanya, Safeline Insurance Agency

Which is why ongoing training and maintenance is crucial.

“We always remind drivers that truckers have a larger blind spot and they need much more time and space to stop and swerve. Best thing commuters can do is stay out of blind stop, especially right side, and never cut them off particularly on the freeway.”

Elena Patatanya, Safeline Insurance Agency

For those stuck in traffic as a result of the crash, it’s another reason to be prepared.

Sergio Ceballos, owner of Sergio’s Automotive, says checking your vehicle’s condition before hitting the road is just as important to prevent further issues.

“The main thing, check tire pressure and then check levels for the coolant, oil, and also check the lights. Make sure the turn lights work, the brake signal works because that’s the main thing. If you stop and your lights don’t work, that’s a big problem.” 

Sergio Ceballos, Sergio’s Automotive

The desert heat can make a bad situation worse.

“What I see is a lot of cars overheating. Some cars you can see the temperature, some cars it’s only the light. When the light comes up, it’s too late, it’s already overheating.”

Sergio Ceballos, Sergio’s Automotive

A few extra steps to ensure a safe and smooth ride.

Stay with News Channel 3 for more.

Click here to follow the original article.

Earthquake strikes near Indio, Borrego Springs one minute apart

Jesus Reyes

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) – Two small earthquakes were recorded a minute apart near Indio and Borrego Springs Thursday afternoon, the US Geological Survey reported.

A 3.7 magnitude earthquake was recorded at 5:16 p.m. west of Borrego Springs.

One minute later, a 3.0 magnitude earthquake was recorded east of Indio.

Click here to follow the original article.