Feds return 150 CA National Guard troops to firefighting duties

City News Service

LOS ANGELES (KESQ) – Acquiescing to concerns expressed by Gov. Gavin Newsom, the U.S. Department of Defense agreed today to release 150 California National Guard troops who had been deployed to protect federal buildings and personnel in Los Angeles and return them to their wildfire-protection assignments.   

According to U.S. Northern Command, which is overseeing the deployment of federalized National Guard troops in the Los Angeles area, the move came at the recommendation of Northern Command Gen. Gregory Guillot, with the approval of the Secretary of Defense.

Newsom, who has opposed the federal takeover of 4,000 Guard troops who were assigned to the L.A. area following protests over immigration-enforcement actions, complained that the move had left the Guard’s wildfire-fighting unit woefully understaffed, leaving the state vulnerable to damaging brush fires.

Newsom hailed the decision to release the 150 troops Tuesday.   

“Our firefighters are finally returning to fight wildfires,” he wrote on X. “Better late than never. Now — send the rest home. Nearly 5,000 soldiers — including police, paramedics and first responders — are still sitting idle in L.A. for nothing.”  

The National Guard troops were federalized by President Donald Trump and deployed to Los Angeles to protect federal buildings and personnel. Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass blasted the move, saying it exacerbated already-heightened emotions in the city. They also called it an intimidation tactic by Trump amid stepped up deportation actions.   

In addition to the Guard troops, Trump also ordered the deployment of roughly 700 Marines from the Twentynine Palms base to the area.

Click here to follow the original article.

Rite Aid closures impacting Valley communities

Garrett Hottle

29 PALMS, Calif. (KESQ) Another national retailer is shutting down locations across our valley. rite aid is closing all of its stores in the coachella valley and that’s leaving customers scrambling to fill prescriptions and workers uncertain about their futures.

The doors are still open but not for long. rite aid’s 29 palms location is one of the last in the valley still operating… until Wednesday.

“So basically, Rite Aid announced that the company is going out of business… ours is tomorrow, July 2nd. And then the prescriptions that are remaining here… is going to be sent all the way down to Cathedral City.,” a pharmacy technician at the 29 Palms Rite Aid location explained.

For customers like Douglas Smith and his wife Virginia, that’s not just inconvenient it’s frustrating.

“A week goes by, they still don’t have it. They’re like, ‘Well, you gotta drive down the hill.’ I said, ‘I gotta drive down the hill to Cathedral City? Are you kidding me?'”

“We used to get our medicine here… we transferred. It was easy, but still it’s a big store. Kind of surprising.”The closures are happening fast. And for employees, the end comes with few options.

“There’s a standby pool… you can opt in to help close other stores. And then after that, we just kind of get laid off.”Still, she says grateful even as she packs up.

“It’s sad. I really did love working here. And I love the community as well… but we move forward.”

Every Rite Aid in the Coachella Valley is either already closed or will be by early July. If your pharmacy is impacted, experts say it’s best to contact your provider now to transfer prescriptions.

Click here to follow the original article.

Board imposes liens on delinquent bill payers for unpaid trash invoices

City News Service

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KESQ) – The Board of Supervisors voted unanimously today to impose special assessments totaling $4.16 million on thousands of Riverside County property owners’ tax bills to collect unpaid trash collection debts.  

In a 5-0 vote without comment, the board signed off on Department of Environmental Health Director Jeff Johnson’s request to apply the liens.   

According to Johnson’s staff, 6,955 residents in unincorporated communities owe the county’s four waste haulers for rubbish pickup and disposal services in 2024. Amounts in arrears range from a low of $150 to a high of $10,300 per customer, according to the special assessment roll.

Johnson sought approval for the assessments to be tacked onto delinquent payers’ annual property tax obligations.   

The environmental health director noted that “regular removal of solid waste from residential properties is a basic sanitation practice that protects both the environment and the public.”  

“The mandatory collection of solid waste and the payment for the collection is critical,” he said.  

The hearing Tuesday provided an opportunity for ratepayers to argue their cases against assessments and offer specifics about mitigating circumstances, to the extent they haven’t been able to meet some obligations. However, no one requested to speak.

In the past, petitioners presented appeals to the board based on the fact they oversee their own waste disposal and shouldn’t be on the hook for the waste haulers’ costs. Sometimes, properties are also under lease, and the owners aren’t responsible for paying trash disposal charges.

Former Supervisor Kevin Jeffries often pointed out instances in which haulers were charging for services never rendered, failing to regularly pick up garbage but still charging as if they had been.

With the board’s imposition of the special assessments, an additional $82-per-parcel charge can be applied to delinquent bills to cover the cost of public noticing and county staff time. Officials said residents may avoid the supplemental charge by paying their bills in full on or before July 25.

Click here to follow the original article.

2025 Fourth of July Weekend events around the Coachella Valley

Haley Meberg

Here’s some celebratory events happening around the Coachella Valley for the holiday weekend! 

Palm Springs

Thursday, July 3, enjoy the Fourth of July weekend “Kick-Off Party at Villagefest,” located at Downtown Palm Springs, Tahquitz Canyon Way and Palm Canyon Drive to celebrate the patriotic weekend with games, live music, arts and crafts and snow cones from 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.

Friday, July 4, “All- American Pool Party,” located at the Palm Springs Swim Center, 405 S. Pavilion Way where guests can dive into festive pool fun from 3:00 p.m. – 10:00pm. with inflatable slides, water games, music, delicious food and a firework show 

Friday, July 4, Palm Springs Power Baseball “Fourth of July at the Ballpark” event at Palm Springs Stadium, 1901 E. Baristo Rd. starting at 6:00 p.m. 

Friday, July 4, Concert in the Park and “All-American Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular” with an evening performance from a Beatles tribute band and a firework show that begins at 9:15 p.m.

Saturday, July 5, Dive-In Movie Night at Palm Springs Swim Center, 405 S. Pavilion Way, where guests can float under the stars at the pool during a screening of “Captain America.” Pool opens at 6:00 p.m. and the movie begins at 7:00 p.m. 

Desert Hot Springs

Saturday, July 5, “Independence Day Fireworks Spectacular,” located at Mission Springs Park, 14510 Palm Drive. Community event with family-friendly activities, food vendors, and music. Bring blankets and lawn chairs. 6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m., with fireworks show launching at 9:15.

Rancho Mirage 

Friday, July 4, “11th Annual Fourth of July Fireworks Extravaganza,” located at Agua Caliente Resort Casino Spa Rancho Mirage starting at 9:00 p.m. Guests can enjoy this free drive-in firework experience at the South Parking Lot with gates opening at 3:00 p.m.

Indio

Friday, July 4, City of Indio’s Independence Day Bash returns at the Empire Polo Grounds, 81-800 51st Ave from 6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. with free admission for all and a drone show that begins at 9:30 p.m.

Palm Desert 

Friday, July 4, “Independence Day Celebration at Civic Center Park” with fun for kids starting at 4:00 p.m., food trucks at 5:00 p.m., live music at 7:00 p.m. and fireworks at 9:00 p.m.

Coachella

Saturday, July 5, Twenty-Nine Palms Band of Mission Indians “5th of July at Coachella Crossroads,” located at Spotlight 29 Casino, 46-200 Harrison Place. Featuring family-friendly fun with food trucks, giveaways and prizes, DJ music, with a breathtaking fireworks display. 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.

Twentynine Palms

Friday, July 4, Twenty-Nine Palms Band of Mission Indians “4th of July at Tortoise Rock Casino,” located at 73829 Baseline Road. Featuring family-friendly fun with food trucks, games, giveaways for the kids, and live music, with a breathtaking fireworks display. 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Banning 

Friday, July 4, “City of Banning 4th of July Celebration,” located at Nicolet Middle School Stadium, 101 E Nicolet St., featuring music, inflatable interactives, food and craft vendors. Gates open at 6:00 p.m. and fireworks begin at 9:00 p.m.

Beaumont

Friday, July 4, “Red, White and LIGHTS” celebration at Town Center, Beaumont Ave. between 6th Street and 8th Street featuring live music at a drone show from 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

Click here to follow the original article.

Palm Springs brings back gift card program for summer

City News Service

PALM SPRINGS (CNS) – Palm Springs’ “Love Local” digital gift card program will return Monday to encourage residents to shop at participating businesses.

Starting July 7, residents can purchase a digital gift card with a maximum value of $300 per person, and the city will contribute an additional 50%. While the gift card itself has no expiration date, the bonus funds will expire Oct. 31, 2025.

“Our local businesses are the heart of our community and deserve our support, especially during the slower months,” said Mayor Ron deHarte. “This program is a great way to rally around them, keep dollars in our neighborhoods and remind everyone that shopping local makes a difference.”

The cards can be used at more than 100 participating stores in Palm Springs.

The program originally launched during Greater Palm Springs Restaurant Week, which ran from May 19 to June 8.   

“We know summer can be tough for local businesses. Encouraging everyone to shop and dine local is one way we can say thank you to our favorite local spots,” said Wayne Olson, the city’s chief economic development officer.   

Participating businesses and more information can be found at LoveLocalPS.com.

Click here to follow the original article.

Cathedral City Fire Department adds fourth ambulance to its fleet, unveiling new rig and six-member crew

Tori King

CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. (KESQ)–The Cathedral City Fire Department just commissioned a brand new ambulance, making it the department’s fourth in it’s fleet.

The ambulance, along with six newly-hired firefighters and paramedics, were introduced to the community in a ceremony on Tuesday. The celebration took place at CCFD’s Fire Station #2.

Cathedral City Fire Chief Michael Contreras says this new rig is a culmination of years of collaboration between the department, the city, and residents.

“Through our accreditation, through our ISO rating, through our hiring, our service, delivery, you know, we’re the only ones that have ambulances,” said Contreras. “All that is what this is about. Because at the end of the day, if we can’t serve the people, why are we here.”

City Manager Charles McClendon agreed.

“I’m so happy to see this because the whole reason for what we do is to serve the community,” said McClendon. “And that’s what this new ambulance and the staff that will be working on it represent.”

The new rig and crew members will increase response times and positive outcomes for medical emergencies around the city. They were paid for by ‘Measure W’ funding, a half-cent sales tax that was approved by Cathedral City voters in November.

“We had a goal get this in place by July 1st, and let the community see the results of what they voted for in November, and we did it.,” said McClendon. “I’m just so happy to know that when we all pulled together, we were able to get this done.”

During the event, the new crew members had their badges pinned on by their chosen loved ones.

“It’s been an extremely great day to finally be a firefighter paramedic for serving the great city of Cathedral City,” said Tyler Kramer, one of the new firefighters and paramedics. “It’s been a long road coming. Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve always looked at the fire engines going past my house, and have known that this is the dream job that I wanted to do for my whole entire life. For Fire Chief Michael Contreras to give me the opportunity, and for this being my first department, I will do everything for it.”

After the ceremony, the rig was pushed into the fire station by community members, firefighters, city leaders, and friends and family.

“It’s here. It’s home,” said Juan Ramirez. “It’s a great feeling to have another ambulance here, and we’re ready to serve.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Mother and son charged in connection with girlfriend’s death near Coachella

Jesus Reyes

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) – A mother and her son were charged in connection with the death of a 24-year-old Indio woman who was found last week near the Coachella Valley Rescue Mission campus.

Mario Morales Jr., 25, of Coachella, faces multiple charges, including murder, for the death of his girlfriend, Alexis Cano. He pleaded not guilty to all charges Tuesday afternoon.

Mario’s mother, Juana Hernandez De Morales, 55, of Coachella, was charged with accessory in aiding in an escape. She pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Both are scheduled to return to court on July 11.

Cano was found dead with a gunshot wound after deputies conducted a welfare check at around 9:40 a.m. Thursday at a home on the 84000 block of Manila Avenue in the unincorporated area of Coachella, according to court documents.

The Riverside County Sheriff’s Office said the incident stemmed from a domestic disturbance.

According to court documents, Mario allegedly told his family about the murder at around 3 a.m. He asked his mother, Juana, to take him to Mexico. Mario was dropped off at a friend’s ranch in Mexico, but Juana was stopped at the border coming back into the United States.

Investigators questioned Juana, who allegedly admitted to knowledge of the murder and dropping off her son in Mexico.

Mario was located by Mexican authorities at the ranch. He was taken to the Calexico Port of Entry on Friday, where RSO deputies took him into custody.

Mario Morales was being held on $5 million bail at the John Benoit Detention Center in Indio. Juana De Morales was being held at the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility in Banning on $1 million bail.

The investigation remains active. Anyone with additional information is asked to call Master Investigator D. Hernandez or Investigator G. Gonzalez at 951–955–2777.

Stay with News Channel 3 for continuing updates on this case.

Click here to follow the original article.

Local leaders, health experts meet to discuss instability among immigrant communities

Gavin Nguyen

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – Leaders in the Coachella Valley met Tuesday to discuss how policy changes could affect immigrant communities.

Representatives from UnidosUS, the nation’s largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization, hosted the discussion on Tuesday at the Mizell Center in Palm Springs. Several different organizations, ranging from healthcare companies to local advocacy groups attended the roundtable.

With President Trump’s “big, beautiful bill” passing in the Senate, which includes potential cuts to Medicaid amounting to $1 trillion, the organization said “local community leaders and UnidosUS state leads will share timely insights and data on how this bill will impact families in Riverside County and across California.”

The new version of the bill will make its way back to the House of Representatives. If passed, those cuts could leave 80 million Americans’ healthcare coverage in jeopardy, according to Dr. Ilan Shapiro, Chief Health Correspondent at AltaMed.

Dr. Shapiro attended Tuesday’s discussion, and said of the cuts, “A lot of people ask me, ‘Why would I care if I’m not carrying Medicaid in my life?’ The reality is that 80 million people around the country actually have it. That means that someone close to us actually depends on it.”

Of that figure, 3.4 million Californians could lose their access to the program.

The discussion also comes after California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a state budget last week that included rolling back undocumented immigrants’ access to Medi-Cal. The state is no longer accepting new undocumented enrollees.

Stay with News Channel 3 for the latest.

Click here to follow the original article.

New California excise tax raises prices of legal cannabis products

Kendall Flynn

CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. (KESQ) – Californians will now pay more for legal cannabis products after a new state excise tax took effect July 1. The 19% tax represents a 4% increase from the previous 15% rate.

Double Eye Dispensary in Cathedral City said it has been preparing customers for the tax increase, by letting them know after every purchase – leading up to the start date – that their purchases would cost more in July.

While the dispensary said the tax doesn’t impact them directly, they are concerned for the consumer. Many of their customers are on fixed incomes and use the dispensary for medicinal purposes. They now worry those customers won’t be able to afford their products or will go to unlicensed sellers.

Kevin Lopez, with the Double Eye Dispensary, said buying marijuana from unlicensed sellers can be dangerous because it is not a tested product. The customer no longer knows if the cannabis is safe from pesticides or other harmful chemicals.

Stay with News Channel 3 to hear from Double Eye Dispensary and customers on how this could impact their wallets or ability to purchase.

Click here to follow the original article.

RivCo Civil Grand Jury finds Palm Springs lacked proper procedures for vetting and monitoring of grants

KESQ News Team

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KESQ) – A Riverside County Civil Grand Jury investigation has revealed serious oversight failures in Palm Springs.

It’s from a $700 thousand grant awarded to Queer Works by the City of Palm Springs.

The Riverside District Attorney requested the investigation following the indictment of Queer Works CEO Jacob Rostovsky in October 2024 on 53 felony counts in a fraud scheme involving a Universal Basic Income Pilot Program.

The Grand Jury’s report found that the city failed to enforce key terms of its agreement with Queer Works, such as requiring monthly progress reports and financial updates.

Jury members found that city staff lacked fraud training, and that councilmembers relied heavily on Desert Aids Project’s endorsement of Queer Works without proper vetting of the non-profit.

The Grand Jury issued ten recommendations, including stricter grant monitoring, mandatory fraud training, and regular independent audits.

The city has already updated some policies, but the report urges full implementation of the recommendations by the end of 2025.

The investigation also found inconsistencies in Queer Works’ financial records and concluded the city received no tangible results for its investment.

News Channel 3 has reached out to both the District Attorney and the city of Palm Springs for comment and will continue to follow this story.

Click here to follow the original article.