Corona man who ran cockfighting events sentenced to prison, home confinement

City News Service

CORONA, Calif. (KESQ) – A Corona man was sentenced today in downtown Los Angeles to a month in federal custody, seven months of home confinement and a $4,000 fine for organizing cockfights in which spectators gambled on roosters expected to fight to the death.

Isidro Chaparro Sanchez, 59, was immediately taken into custody at the conclusion of the hearing, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.   

Sanchez pleaded guilty in March to one federal count of conspiracy to sponsor and exhibit roosters in an animal fighting venture.   

He admitted working with four others to produce the daylong cockfighting events on Sundays at a home in San Bernardino County for about four months last year. The site included a cockfighting ring with seating and bars serving alcoholic drinks and tacos.

Prosecutors say attendees parked — at a cost of $20 — nearly 1 mile away from the venue and were then shuttled to the home, where they paid $40 to enter the arena where the fights took place.

A team registering four roosters would pay an entry fee of $1,000. One of the co-defendants would collect the money, register the team’s roosters for battle, and record the weights of the birds, papers filed in Los Angeles federal court show.  

Attendees, including those who had registered their roosters, would place bets with bookmakers who collected the cash, Sanchez’s plea agreement says.

The blood sport on Duffy Street ended on Aug. 4, 2024, shortly after the arrival of almost 60 people, some carrying roosters. Before the first bout that day, special agents with the FBI armed with a search warrant raided the place.

Items seized included roughly $9,000 in cash, 50 to 100 sharp instruments or “gaffs” — curved metal spurs or blades that are attached to a rooster’s leg prior to a fight — and various types of steroids. In addition, about 200 birds, of which more than 150 were deemed to be fighting roosters by a local animal control agency, were recovered, authorities said.

The four co-defendants, all from the Inland Empire, each pleaded guilty to a federal charge and are awaiting sentencing.   

Cockfighting is a contest in which a person attaches a knife, gaff or other sharp instrument to the leg of a “gamecock” or rooster and then places the bird a few inches away from a similarly armed rooster.

This results in a violent fight during which the roosters flap their wings and jump while stabbing each other with the weapons that are fastened to their legs. A cockfight ends when one rooster is dead or refuses to continue to fight. Usually, one or both roosters die after a fight, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Click here to follow the original article.

Palm Springs Public Library discusses process of moving to temporary location 

Kendall Flynn

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – The Palm Springs Public library has over 100,000 books, movies, CDs and more. The main public library building is now undergoing a long-awaited redevelopment project, which is moving the library and staff into a smaller space in Rimrock Plaza. 

Staff said it’s been a difficult process, but one they know will have a great outcome for the community.

“Out move has been a little bit of chaos but a lot of fun and excitement,” Julie Warren, the library and public services manager said. “Moving out of any place is a bit of a challenge. We’ve been here for 50 year so we had a lot of stuff to move.”

While it may seem like a simple task of breaking down shelves and packing items into boxes, library staff said its a specialized process. The City of Palm Springs has hired a moving company specializing in library moves because each collection needs to be in order.

“The library itself has over 100,000 items. You have to keep the stuff in order even if it’s going into storage,” Warren said. “When we move it back, we don’t want to have a collection out of order.”

The Rimrock Plaza location is 5,000 square feet, which officials said it nearly one-fifth the size of the main library, causing them to have a capsule collection.

Librarians have been working months in advance to prepare the collections to be distributed between three different locations, including storage, offices and the temporary library.

Because of the move, the library has to condense its collection and put a number of items in storage. While workers say they will be putting together their best collection for visiting locals, they have a quick turn around to build a library within Rimrock Plaza before the library opens August 25. 

Even with the smaller collection, one library assistant who has been working at the public library for 25 years said she hopes it’s still a special place for all locals.

“I’m almost retired so I really want this to be a dream come true to help in the process, doing the most for the community,” Yrene Navarro said.

Stay with News Channel 3 to hear from officials about the process of organizing and setting up the temporary library. 

Click here to follow the original article.

Ukrainians split on path forward as Zelensky, Trump discuss ceasefire

Luis Avila

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (KESQ) – As ceasefire talks between Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and President Donald Trump took place Monday, Ukrainian Americans in the Coachella Valley are reacting with a mix of hope, skepticism, and concern.

For many in the local Ukrainian community, the ongoing war is more than just a distant conflict — it’s a personal crisis that continues to cast a long shadow.

“It’s been devastating. First year, no one could believe it was happening. I couldn’t sleep… It’s been 3 years. It’s been a long time. Many people died. Many families have been affected.”

Tatiana Wright, Indian Wells resident

Tatiana Wright is among those cautiously optimistic about the latest ceasefire talks. She believes dialogue — even with Russian President Vladimir Putin — is essential. When asked about whether compromises — including possible land concessions — should be on the table, Wright didn’t rule it out.”

“Yes he met with Putin.. Without conversation, without process of negotiation, he has no resolution. We’re going nowhere. We need to sit at table and start talking regardless of who we have to talk… If it takes some land to be negotiated, whatever it takes.”

Tatiana Wright, Indian Wells resident

But not everyone in the community shares that sentiment.

Nila Onuferko has deep concern over any deal that might involve territorial concessions or suggest moral equivalence between Ukraine and its aggressor. She argues that giving up land would set a dangerous precedent for the future.

“When someone says to Zelensky, ‘It’s in your hands to stop this,’ it really lends the question: really, who’s invading who?… If they give up land, it sets a bad precedent because then it says who are we as a people.”’

Nila Onuferko, Indian Wells resident

While opinions vary, one thing is clear: the desire for peace is shared across the community.

Stay with News Channel 3 for more.

Click here to follow the original article.

West entrance of Joshua Tree National Park closed to traffic during construction

Jesus Reyes

TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. (KESQ) – The west entrance of Joshua Tree National Park will be closed to inbound and outbound traffic beginning 6 a.m. August 25 through 6 p.m. August 29.

Park officials said visitors must enter or exit the park via Twentynine Palms or Cottonwood using the north entrance station in Twentynine Palms or the Cottonwood entrance at the park’s south boundary.

The north entrance station is the most accessible for visitors traveling on Highway 62, park officials said. The North entrance is 25 miles east of the west entrance station and adds an additional 17 minutes of driving time.

Exiting vehicles may turn around at Quail Springs Picnic Area and entering vehicles may turn around at the current west entrance station; however, this is not advised due to an expected backup of traffic.

Park Boulevard will also be closed to vehicle traffic for six miles from the west entrance to Quail Springs Picnic Area. The closure includes the Maze Loop and Bigfoot trailhead parking areas. Visitors may not drive to or park at these trailheads during the closure.

Park officials said the closure is necessary for crews to lay new pavement in the construction area.

All other park roads are expected to remain open.

“It has been exciting to see this project’s progress over the last six months,” said Joshua Tree National Park Superintendent Jane Rodgers. “Though the temporary closure of the entrance is an inconvenience to visitors and staff, it will allow construction crews to complete important work. Park staff look forward to welcoming visitors at the new entrance station in the next few months.”

Visitors can access construction updates at https://www.nps.gov/jotr/learn/management/2025-west-entrance-construction.htm

Park rangers encourage visitors to recreate responsibly in their vehicles by observing posted speed limits and driving only on designated roads. 

Click here to follow the original article.

Indio DUI sweep nets one arrest, 41 citations

City News Service

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) – Indio police arrested one motorist on suspicion of driving under the influence and issued 41 citations during a DUI enforcement sweep in the city, authorities said today.

The crackdown occurred Friday, and police noted that drivers convicted of a first-time DUI offense can face about $13,500 in fines and penalties, along with a suspended license.

“We are committed to taking impaired drivers off the road,” the Indio Police Department said in a statement. “Driving under the influence is not only dangerous but also has major consequences.”

The program was funded through a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety.

Click here to follow the original article.

Palm Springs Police Department reminding drivers to stay sober during the last days of summer

Allie Anthony

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – As summer comes to a close, the Palm Springs Police Department is reminding drivers to stay safe and sober behind the wheel. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, over 1,200 people were killed in drunk-driving crashes in 2023.

Palm Springs Police officers are increasing patrols and watching for signs of impaired driving. Drivers are urged to use a designated driver, rideshare, or public transportation if they plan to drink. Driving under the influence of drugs, including marijuana and prescription medications, is also illegal and dangerous.

Police also remind everyone to buckle up, follow speed limits, and stay alert especially with more people out enjoying the final days of summer.

Click here to follow the original article.

Custom Canines working to support veterans living with PTSD

Shay Lawson

DESERT HOT SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ)  – About 8% of U.S. veterans have been diagnosed with PTSD at some point of their lives according to current estimates by Hill and Ponton a leading law firm.

The firm says that percentage is possibly higher among those who served in recent conflicts or are registered with the VA, which repots 7% of veterans will have PTSD.

In the Coachella Valley Custom Canines, a nonprofit, is working to provide support to Veterans and other individuals living with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

For anyone interested in more information about the organization, contact Bob@customcanines.org.

Stay with News Channel 3 at 10 and 11 p.m. to hear from the organization and a patient.

Click here to follow the original article.

Investigators cannot rule out foul play in disappearance of Cabazon baby, SBCSD says

Garrett Hottle

CABAZON, Calif. (KESQ) Investigators “cannot rule out foul play” in the disappearance of 7-month-old Emmanuel Haro after finding “inconsistencies” in the child’s mother’s statement, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said in a press release.

Deputies were dispatched at 7:47 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 14 to a retail business in Yucaipa after the child’s mother, Rebecca Haro, reported she was physically assaulted by an unknown male and rendered unconscious while she stood outside her vehicle changing her child’s diaper; when she awoke, Emmanuel was gone, the department said.

Deputies and K-9 units from San Bernardino and Riverside counties responded and began an extensive search, but Emmanuel was not located, according to the department.

Based on the circumstances, the Sheriff’s Specialized Investigations Division responded and assisted with the case, the department said. Investigators interviewed multiple individuals, including Emmanuel’s parents, Jake and Rebecca Haro, the department said.

During those interviews, Rebecca was confronted with inconsistencies in her initial statement and declined to continue with the interview, the department said. At this point in the investigation, investigators are unable to rule out foul play in Emmanuel’s disappearance, according to the department.

Investigators will continue their investigation to locate Emmanuel Haro, the department said.

This is a developing story. News Channel 3 will update you with new information as soon as we get it.

Click here to follow the original article.

Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Reopens After Weeklong Closure

Timothy Foster

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) — The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is back open after being closed for more than a week due to electrical issues.

The shutdown began Friday, August 8, when technicians discovered a malfunctioning motor contactor, a component that provides power between the tram drive and motor. Repairs were delayed while crews located the replacement part. Once installed, the tramway underwent testing before reopening on Saturday.

The reopening comes just weeks before the tramway’s scheduled annual maintenance closure. The last day of operation will be September 7, with reopening planned for October 13. Projects during the closure will include replacing one of the tram’s cables, repainting, repaving, and other refurbishments.

The tramway is now running on its regular schedule, operating daily from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Visitors can enjoy cooler mountain temperatures, hiking trails, restaurants, gift shops, and scenic views.

August has also been designated as First Responders Month at the tramway. Free admission for police, fire, and EMT personnel, along with discounted entry for up to four guests, has been extended through September 7 to account for time lost during the closure.

Several seasonal events are scheduled in the coming months, including the annual Tram Road Challenge in October, the debut of an Autumn Fest celebration, and the snow guessing contest beginning October 1.

For more information, visit pstramway.com.

Click here to follow the original article.

Pedestrian injured in two vehicle crash in Indio

Shay Lawson

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ)  – A traffic collision in Indio left two people injured Sunday afternoon.

CAL FIRE said the crash happened at Clinton St. and Miles Ave. just after 12 p.m.

Courtesy: Esmeralda Orozco

Firefighters responded to the two-vehicle traffic collision where one pedestrian was pinned after the car left the roadway. Crews successfully extricated the patient.

First responders said one patient with serious injuries and another patient with minor injuries were transported to a local hospital.

Stay with News Channel 3 for any updates in this developing story.

Click here to follow the original article.