Cathedral City considers tougher cannabis rules after odor complaints

Luis Avila

CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. (KESQ) – Cathedral City is taking stronger action to address growing complaints over cannabis odors, after months of pressure from residents living near facilities. Last week, the city council approved a new ordinance aimed at curbing the persistent smell, particularly from one facility that has been at the center of community frustration.

Residents at Outdoor Resorts say the odor coming from Cat City Cannabis Company has become unbearable. The issue has reached a tipping point, prompting the city to introduce new regulations.

The ordinance introduces stricter odor control measures, including:

Mandatory odor control plans that cannabis businesses must submit for city approval

New spacing requirements between cannabis facilities and residential areas

Stronger enforcement protocols, including potential fines or misdemeanor charges for ongoing violations

“Should we receive a complaint about cannabis odor, we’re giving a business an opportunity to correct the issue before we ever get to an enforcement action and we certainly want to be supportive of the businesses in that sense.”

Andy Firestine, Cathedral City Director of Community & Economic Development

However, not everyone is on board with the changes. David Bernard, CEO of Cat City Cannabis, expressed concerns about the ordinance during the council meeting, saying the new rules are vague and could open the door to targeted opposition.

“I think the things that are concerning are some recent additions to the ordinance that are somewhat vague and provide an opportunity for people that are somewhat aggressive to the business, to put pressure on city council. We don’t see the framework within the ordinance to provide stability to our employees, for our business.” 

David Bernard, Cat City Cannabis Co. CEO

In response, city leaders emphasized that the ordinance is designed not to punish businesses, but to ensure compliance with existing odor standards.

“This is a mechanism to verify and ensure businesses are doing what has always been required to do to mitigate odor. In that sense, not much has changed. This is an additional process, yes, but we’re looking at how we can make that as clear and predictable to the industry without imposing too many other additional requirements.”

Andy Firestine, Cathedral City Director of Community & Economic Development

The ordinance will take effect in late November if the council approves it on Oct. 22.

Stay with News Channel 3 for more.

Click here to follow the original article.

Joshua Tree nonprofit concerned about possible government shutdown

Peter Daut

The nonprofit “Friends of Joshua Tree” is concerned that if a government shutdown happens this week, it would negatively impact the park, similar to what happened the last time there was a shutdown. So, if there is another shutdown, the organization is now urging officials to keep the gates of the park locked.

“The parks are like giant museums, and you wouldn’t leave the Smithsonian open or your local museum in your local community open. You would want to lock that up and secure it,” Friends of Joshua Tree president John Lauretig said.

He pointed to the last government shutdown, from December 2018 to January 2019. He said the park had filthy bathrooms, overflowing trashcans, and vandalized plants and buildings. Human waste was also left outside of restrooms, with no one there to clean.

Right now, Democrats and Republicans still appear far apart on making a deal. Democratic leaders in Congress are demanding Republicans reverse Medicaid cuts made earlier this year in President Trump’s signature tax and spending bill. In response, the Trump Administration has floated firing federal workers en masse if the shutdown happens.

There are about 150,000 federal employees in California, which does not include military service members who would also go without pay during a shutown.

Stay with News Channel 3 for the latest.

Click here to follow the original article.

Sir Paul McCartney kicks off 2025 tour at Acrisure Arena, fans share excitement

Shay Lawson

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ)  – Music legend Sir Paul McCartney took the stage tonight.

The iconic Beatle kicked off his “Got Back” USA tour at Acrisure Arena.

McCartney played everything from The Beatles classics to Wings to solo hits.

The doors opened at 6:30 p.m. with the show beginning at 8:00 p.m.

This isn’t McCartney’s first trip to the Coachella Valley. In 2009, the former Beatle headlined the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio. He returned to the Empire Polo Club in 2016 for Desert Trip.

With concert and hockey season starting up — Acrisure Arena officials said it’s a very exciting time.

The rock band, “The Who,” a preseason Laker game and the Coachella Valley Firebirds home opener are all coming to the arena in days.

Stay with News Channel 3 to hear from fans attending the sold out show.

Click here to follow the original article.

Faith leaders react to deadly shooting at Michigan Latter-day Saints Church

Luis Avila

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – The recent deadly attack at a Latter-day Saints (LDS) church in Michigan has sent shockwaves across the country, including here in the Coachella Valley, where local faith communities are expressing growing concern over safety in religious spaces.

The attack — which involved a gunman driving into a church building, opening fire, and setting it ablaze — left at least four people dead and eight others injured. The violent act is prompting urgent calls for action from religious leaders throughout the valley.

Rabbi Steven Rosenberg says this latest tragedy highlights a grim reality faith communities have been grappling with for years — particularly in the Jewish community, which has been the target of multiple hate-driven attacks nationwide.

“Churches are going to have o unfortunately look at security from a more robust and realistic point of view… The days of having doors open to anyone who wishes to come in are pretty much over.”

Rabbi Steven Rosenburg, Congregation Beit Haverim

Rosenberg emphasized that religious violence transcends faith lines, and combating it will require collaboration across denominations.

“Inter-religious, interdenominational groups are important. When you have colleagues from different faiths coming together and sharing their knowledge and experience and the steps we can take — we can learn from each other. Regardless of what religion we are, it’s still the same threat.”

Rabbi Steven Rosenburg, Congregation Beit Haverim

News Channel 3 reached out to local LDS congregations for comment, but none were available. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a statement that read, in part:

“In moments of sorrow and uncertainty, we find strength and comfort through our faith in Jesus Christ… Places of worship are meant to be sanctuaries of peacemaking, prayer, and connection. We pray for peace and healing for all involved.”

As local congregants gather in the wake of this tragedy, some are uniting in both grief and determination — working toward healing while taking serious steps to ensure places of worship remain spaces of refuge and peace.

Stay with New Channel 3 for more.

Click here to follow the original article.

Homeowners question long wait times to activate solar panels in east valley

Gavin Nguyen

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) – One homeowner in Indio is facing a months-long delay to activate her solar panels.

Murgo first moved to Indio last year, and with the move, her utility company switched to Imperial Irrigation District. “Our bill went from almost $2000 to right around $200. So it was a big jump. So we were really happy to have IID,” Murgo recalled. “But that said, they wanted us to wait 90 to 120 days before we activated our solar panels.”

The home she moved into already had 13 solar panels, but she had to wait through a summer – where temperatures broke all-time records in Palm Springs – without her solar panels activated.

This year, it happened again. In May, Peggy Murgo installed an additional 13 solar panels and a new battery to her home. According to Murgo, the installation itself was smooth, but once again, she is in the midst of a long delay.

“Here we are, it’s almost the end of September and we’re still not activated.”

News Channel 3 reached out to IID about the long wait times, which the utility said was normal.

About the process:

Once the customer or contractor applies for interconnection, the process can generally take 8-12 weeks, depending on a number of factors:

Approximately two to four weeks to process the initial application (this can be prolonged if the application is not fully complete or corrections are required).

Following a completed application, an additional two weeks are needed for the District to perform a site inspection.

Once a site inspection is completed and if no additional corrections are required, an invoice is issued for the meter exchange.

In order for IID to provide a Permission to Operate (PTO), a final inspection release by the governing authority having jurisdiction (city, county, etc.) is required. 

IID typically exchanges the meter the same week in which all requirements are met.

To find the status of your project, customers can check their project via PowerClerk, speak directly with an IID solar representative by calling 1-760-482-3673 or by email, solar@iid.com

Robert Schettler, Public Information Officer, Imperial Irrigation District

However, Renova Energy, a prominent solar panel installer in the desert, said IID’s process involves redundant steps. Renova’s Project Manager and Director, Raul Giles, explained that cities already review and approve installation plans.

“It’s just a delay on their end, you know, processes that it shouldn’t be taking more than 90 days,” said Giles.

“We’re frustrated for the homeowners. You know, like I said, they tend to sign up trying to get the project installed in a timely manner. But when it comes to the utilities, they tend to [take] a couple of steps backwards when [the solar companies are] ready to go.”

Imperial Irrigation District indicated that they are caught up with all inspection work over the past two weeks in the Coachella Valley. Regularly, 40 to 50 inspections are completed each week.

“…we have mobilized additional personnel to keep pace. At present, six employees are dedicated to performing inspections in the region in addition to their regular duties.

While we do have a significant number of applications, we work promptly to review and address each one to ensure timely progress.”

The utility also added, given the regular 8 to 12 week-long wait time, homeowners who want to have solar systems ready by a specific deadline (like the hot summer months), they should plan ahead.

Murgo hoped that her experience serves as a lesson to those considering installing their solar panels ahead of next summer.

“Now to have this solar, we’re so happy to have it. I know it’s taken a while to get it up and running, but we know it’s coming.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Desert Hot Springs residents recover after flooding

Timothy Foster

Desert Hot Springs, Calif. (KESQ)  – Heavy flooding swept through Desert Hot Springs this week, leaving homes damaged and residents struggling to recover. Several families reported that water from the storm reached as high as six inches inside their units, soaking carpets, furniture, and personal belongings.

Sal Guzman described returning home to find his apartment in shambles, with the kitchen, living room, and bedroom all affected. His roommate’s electric scooter was also damaged, creating additional challenges for someone with limited mobility and health issues. Residents said the flooding added stress to their daily lives and disrupted sleep and routines.

Many residents expressed frustration with the condition of the property and lack of response from management. Guzman said attempts to contact the landlord and property manager went unanswered, leaving families to handle the cleanup themselves.

Cleanup has been difficult, with soaked carpets removed and personal items salvaged wherever possible. Residents said some of the damage can be repaired or replaced, but other losses are permanent.

The flooding highlights ongoing concerns about drainage and safety in the area. Water pooled in low-lying sections, carrying mud and debris into homes. Residents said that without proper drainage and maintenance, future storms could cause similar or worse damage.

Despite the challenges, neighbors and community volunteers have stepped in to assist with cleanup and provide support to those affected. Residents urge anyone impacted by the floods to seek help and prepare for future storms to reduce the risk of damage and ensure safety.

Click here to follow the original article.

Inaugural “E.A.S.T” Festival launches at Palm Springs Surf Club

Shay Lawson

Palm Springs, Calif. (KESQ)  – Surf and skate culture is colliding in the desert on Sunday at the inaugural E.A.S.T Festival, hosted at the Palm Springs Surf Club.

The event is backed by Kona Big Wave beer and organized in partnership with STAB, a leading agency in surf culture.

Organizers said the festival is designed to bring together boardsports, music and art in a first-of-its-kind experience for fans.

Attendees will be able to participate by riding exclusive surfboards shaped by some of the best surfboard designers in the world alongside professional surfers, including Mikey February, Harry Bryant, Nathan Fletcher and Mason Ho.

The festival will also showcase never-before-seen board designs and give fans the chance to meet legendary surfboard shapers and top skateboarders such as Curren Caples and Rowan Zorilla.

The event will feature live music, art installations and an early preview of a 2025 content series starring pro surfer Mikey February.

Organizers say the festival is meant to celebrate creativity and community while giving fans a hands-on experience that goes beyond watching from the sidelines.

Stay with News Channel 3 for continuing coverage.

Click here to follow the original article.

Lightning strike catches Palm Springs trees on fire

Athena Jreij

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) — Palm Springs Fire responded to several trees on fire Saturday afternoon due to a lightning strike.

The fire began around 4:30 p.m. near East Palm Canyon Drive and Farrell Street. Despite the rain, the strike caught 3 trees on fire.

PS Fire quickly responded with multiple engines and contained the fire before it spread to nearby buildings.

Terry Ryan, who lives in the area, saw the moment lightning struck and said, “Well, when it first happened, I thought it was going to hit my trees because I’m across the street and it was right off my balcony. I went out and I looked, and the skies lit up and I’m like, oh my goodness, we got hit, and I looked and it, I ran to the window and I saw it was across the street.”

No injuries were reported.

Click here to follow the original article.

Man killed in pedestrian crash in Indio

Athena Jreij

INDIO, Calif. (KESQ) — One man is dead after being struck by a pickup truck near the I-10 freeway in Indio Saturday afternoon.

Officials say the victim was hit by oncoming traffic, while crossing the westbound on-ramp at Monroe Street. 

Deputies say the truck’s left front struck the man causing multiple injuries.

The victim died on scene despite life-saving measures.

The crash remains under investigation. No word yet if drugs or alcohol were a factor. 

Click here to follow the original article.

Palm Springs PD showcases boxers ahead of Battle in the Desert

Kendall Flynn

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – The Palm Springs Police Department is gearing up for Battle in the Desert, which will return to the Valley Oct. 11.

The boxing showcase has been growing in popularity through the Coachella Valley for nearly 10 years. Something organizer, Jesus Gonzalez is proud to see.

“It started pretty small in the festival line of Cathedral City,” Gonzalez said. “We’re now at the amphitheater and we’re attracting fighters from Houston, Northern California, Southern California, from all over the place.”

Gonzalez is also a detective with PSPD, and has helped secure three officers up for the boxing challenge. One of them is Detective Jose Barragan who will be facing off against Michael Carongcong of the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department.

While Barragan does not have a lot of prior experience, he’s ready for the challenge and has been training when he can.

“It’s just one of those thing’s where I just kind of worked up the courage to go ahead and do it,” Barragan said. “I feel like I’ve put enough work in, I mean you never know, it’s a boxing match at the end of the day, so hoping for the best.” 

The full competition will feature 14 “competitive bouts” with boxers from law enforcement, military and public safety agencies across the country, according to PSPD. The competition is set up for Saturday, Oct. 11 at the Cathedral City Community Amphitheater. Doors will open at 5 p.m. with the first bout at 7 p.m.

Palm Springs Police Department Bouts

PSPD’s Jose Barragan vs. Michael Carongcong of the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department

PSPD’s Gil Alcaraz vs. Carlos Trejo of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department

PSPD’s Johnathan Mosley vs. Robert Espinoza of the Santa Ana Police Department

Stay with News Channel 3 to hear from officials about this boxing event and what it means to them.

Click here to follow the original article.