Walter Clark Legal Group files lawsuit after abuse claim at RivCo jail

Garrett Hottle

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. (KESQ) – The Walter Clark Legal Group has filed a lawsuit against Sheriff Chad Bianco, the County of Riverside, and the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office in federal court after a pretrial detainee was assaulted in jail.

The lawsuit was filed in the Central District of California federal court.

Attorneys Walter T. Clark and Dan C. Bolton allege the county and agency failed to provide medical care to a seriously injured pretrial detainee.

“Denied critical medical care for a near-fatal injury for 12 hours and tossed around in different cells while his pleas for help were repeatedly ignored, the Sheriffs in the John J. Benoit Detention Center, in Indio, California, showed a shocking and deliberate indifference to Plaintiff’s serious medical needs—essentially torturing Plaintiff while he suffered excruciating pain hour after hour—while wantonly and intentionally violating basic standards of decency in violation of the Eighth Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment, and well-established civil rights protections,” reads a news release from the Walter Clark Legal Group.

The attorneys said the plaintiff in the new case was a misdemeanor pretrial detainee who was seriously beaten by two inmates in a supervised area with video surveillance. They say no correctional officers intervened to stop the attack.

“After beginning to experience increasing and intolerable pain in his abdomen, his pleas for medical treatment were ignored by Sheriffs. Rather than provide the medical care he was constitutionally entitled to, Riverside County Sheriffs accused Plaintiff of lying about his pain and refused to permit him to see a medical professional,” reads the news release.

The plaintiff was allegedly left in a separate holding cell for hours as he continued to beg for help, attorneys said. He was moved to a suicide prevention cell for 12 hours before taken to a waiting area and eventually JFK Memorial Hospital.

Attorneys said it was determined that the plaintiff was septic with an infection spreading throughout his body, and that he needed emergency surgery. He underwent two operations, including a splenectomy (surgical removal of the spleen) and an exploratory laparotomy (a procedure where the surgeon makes a large incision in the abdomen to directly examine the abdominal area).

The plaintiff woke up at Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs after being airlifted.

In a similar case, Clark and Bolton filed a First Amended Complaint on Oct. 7 based on the failure to provide medical care to a pretrial detainee, Clifford W. Mathews, that resulted in his wrongful death.

Bolton added, “Riverside County jails in recent years have been among the deadliest jails in the United States. This action seeks to hold Riverside County accountable for the ongoing and brazen violation of civil rights of pretrial detainees.”

Click here to follow the original article.

‘We need a miracle,’14-year-old hit by DUI driver in critical condition

Athena Jreij

LA QUINTA, Calif. (KESQ) — One of two boys struck in a La Quinta DUI crash last week, is in critical condition at Loma Linda University Medical Center, according to his family.

On Friday October 10th, Thermal Sheriff’s deputies responded to a collision at the intersection of Highway 111 and Adams St., when they found two juveniles hit by a car while riding their bikes.

One of those boys was 14-year-old La Quinta High School freshman, Liam Cantu.

Speaking exclusively to News Channel 3, Liam’s parents, Jennifer Perez and Jesus Cantu, say their friend found Liam at the scene and called them with the news that would change their life.

“They immediately called us and told us that my son was hit by a drunk driver or a car crash. We’re thinking that he was on the bike lane and the person tried to go around the traffic and hit my son and his friend,” Jesus Cantu said.

The family says the suspected drunk driver, identified as 47-year-old Jose Villegasorbe, first crashed in Indian Wells. The victim in that accident was chasing Villegasorbe at a high speed, when they crashed into the boys.

Liam’s friend survived with minor injuries but his parents say he hasn’t been as lucky. After the accident, he underwent emergency brain surgery and was put into a medically induced coma.

“He survived his initial brain surgery. They put him in an induced coma. His pressure was manageable, but Tuesday his pressures started to shoot up really high. So we’re hoping for a miracle right now. They’re telling us that he’s gone,” Perez and Cantu said.

The crash comes as Liam was excited to join the La Quinta High School baseball team.

“Liam’s been swinging a baseball bat since he could walk. He was excited for his first game. He had his jersey hung up. Out of everything he had in his closet, I don’t think he had anything hung up other than those two practice jerseys.”

Perez and Cantu describe their son as someone who is funny, outgoing, loved to dance and had an impact on everyone in his life.

“The baseball dads are calling me and telling me that their son wanted to quit baseball, and Liam motivated then to not quit, and to be better and help them. Everywhere we went, everyone always loved Liam.”

Now, they’re praying for a miracle and hoping the community’s prayers will bring back the Liam they love.

“We want to come on here and to tell the parents to hold their kids tight and and watch over them a little more. The day that they lose, the day you put your guard down, something tragic like this can happen,” Cantu said.

If you’d like to support the Cantu’s family and Liam’s recovery, visit: https://www.givesendgo.com/LiftedInAlmightyMercy?openShareModal=true.

Click here to follow the original article.

City of Coachella H to ‘Tree for All’ event at Bagdouma Park

KESQ-Newsroom

 COACHELLA, Calif. (KESQ) – The city of Coachella is inviting the community to a “tree for all” event this weekend.

There will be 58 total trees planted by attending guests.

The city secured $35,000 of funding for these trees through the Imperial Irrigation District’s Public Green Space grant titled “Tree for All.”

You can help beautify at the Bagdouma Park this Saturday from 7 A.M. to 10 A.M.

Refreshments and free giveaways will be provided to attendees at the event.

Click here to follow the original article.

Sheriff’s veteran killed during apparent hunting accident in Idaho

City News Service

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KESQ) – A Riverside County sheriff’s lieutenant killed during an apparent hunting accident in southern Idaho was a 25-year law enforcement veteran, whose loss prompted the sheriff’s department today to extend “heartfelt condolences” to his loved ones.

Lt. Nathan Kaas suffered a mortal gunshot wound early Sunday morning while on a mountain hunt for mule deer in the Caribou-Targhee National Forest, near the Wyoming state line, according to published reports.

It was unclear whether his death was being investigated by the U.S. Forest Service, which has been impacted by the federal government shutdown, or the Bonneville County Sheriff’s Department.

“The Riverside Sheriff’s Office is not investigating this incident and, therefore, cannot provide any details regarding the circumstances,” according to an agency statement released Thursday. “We extend our heartfelt condolences to Lt. Nathan Kaas’ family, friends and colleagues as they navigate this difficult time.”   

The Riverside Sheriff’s Association has set up a fundraiser for his family, click here to visit that page.

Reports indicated that Kaas was in the federal preserve with a friend for a hunting excursion about 6 a.m. Sunday.   

As the off-duty lawman’s friend was reportedly removing his rifle from its sleeve while the two men sat in a vehicle, the long gun discharged directly into one of Kaas’ legs.

The projectile apparently penetrated an artery, causing a significant blood loss before first responders could reach the location and render emergency aid, according to reports.

Kaas died at the scene, leaving behind a wife and three children, according to the Riverside Sheriffs’ Association, the union that represents deputies.

“Lt. Kaas began his career with the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in April 2000,” according to the agency. “During his 25-year service, he held the ranks of investigator, sergeant and lieutenant. He was most recently assigned to the Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team.”  

During his years as a sergeant, particularly between 2015 and 2020, Kaas handled press releases for several sheriff’s stations, including Moreno Valley and Lake Elsinore. His name was familiar to media outlets throughout the region, appearing in statements concerning everything from carjackings and deadly crashes to murders.   

There was no immediate word regarding funeral services for the fallen lawman.

Click here to follow the original article.

CSUSB Palm Desert campus awards more than $150K in scholarships

City News Service

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ) – More than 60 students at Cal State San Bernardino, Palm Desert campus received over $150,000 in scholarships for the 2025-2026 school year, it was announced today.

The various scholarships were awarded to students in several disciplines for academic excellence, community involvement and personal growth, officials said. The scholarships provided the recipients with mentorship opportunities, peer tutoring and career development workshops.

“This scholarship has made a significant difference in my life by easing the financial strain of educational expenses. As a full-time student who is also balancing family responsibilities, this scholarship allows me to focus on my studies and engage in learning opportunities that are essential for my growth and preparation for graduate school,” Divina Portillo, a psychology major and recipient of the John J. and Sheryl Benoit Endowed Scholarship, said in a statement.

Adriana Banda, a sociology and social work major and recipient of the John Steven Peterson Endowed Scholarship, said, “I hope to continue creating inclusive and safe spaces for those in the LGBTQIA community, especially in the field of social work. Receiving a scholarship has given me a bit more peace of mind financially, and it will help cover anything I will need this upcoming academic year, especially since senior year can be costly with graduation-related costs.”  

Officials said the scholarships will help invest in student success and reflects the university’s ongoing commitment to academic excellence and access to high education.

Click here to follow the original article.

Three Arrested for Alleged Residential Burglary in Desert Hot Springs

Jesus Reyes

DESERT HOT SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – Three people suspected of stealing items from Desert Hot Springs home were arrested after a vehicle and foot pursuit, authorities said today.

Police officers responded to a report shortly before 1 p.m. Tuesday in the 9400 block of San Rafael Drive regarding a residential burglary, according to the Desert Hot Springs Police Department. They learned a burglary had occurred and identified a suspect vehicle.

Officers found the vehicle two hours later and attempted to pull it over, prompting a pursuit that later ended in the area of Pierson Boulevard and Via Loretto, according to police.

Three people left the vehicle on foot and were captured by pursuing officers, the department stated.

Police said “a large amount of stolen property was recovered from the vehicle.”  

Three suspects were arrested on suspicion of residential burglary, conspiracy, possession of stolen property, resisting arrest and participating in a criminal street gang. The suspects were described only as two men and a male juvenile.

They were booked into Riverside County jail and Juvenile Hall and all were held in lieu of $200,000 bail, police said.   

Anyone with information was urged to contact Detective Philip Estrada at pestrada@dhspd.com.

Click here to follow the original article.

Desert X art installation along SR 62 found vandalized

Luis Avila

DESERT HOT SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) – A temporary Desert X art installation near Desert Hot Springs has been defaced with graffiti, leaving many residents and visitors frustrated and disappointed.

The large stone structure, part of the valley-wide Desert X contemporary art exhibition, towers above the desert floor along Route 62. Titled “The act of being together,” the installation was designed to inspire unity. Instead, it has become the target of vandalism, sparking questions about its extended presence and the lack of security.

“It’s for the people to enjoy and somebody comes and wrecks it, very disappointed that somebody would have to do that.”

Randy Dixon, Morongo Valley Resident

The 2025 Desert X exhibition officially ended in May, but this particular installation was granted an extension and was scheduled to remain on display until October 1. Its continued presence weeks past that date has led some to wonder why it hadn’t been removed earlier — and whether the delay contributed to the vandalism.

“When Desert X ended for its season and this wasn’t taken down, I was kind of surprised because usually some of the exhibits were taken down and this one kept sitting here and I was wondering how long it was going to take for it to become someone’s pallet.”

Cliff Williams, Whitewater Resident

In response, Desert X Executive Director Jenny Gil told News Channel 3 that the installation is now scheduled to be removed in the coming weeks. She did not provide a specific reason for the delay.

In a statement, Gil stated:

“Desert X takes extensive measures to protect and preserve artworks, which are thoughtfully designed to be resilient and withstand exposure to the elements, public interaction, and other unforeseen circumstances.”

She added that incidents of vandalism are rare and that the artwork will be restored.

Locals hope that happens soon.

Stay with News Channel 3 for more.

Click here to follow the original article.

Baby Emmanuel Case: Father pleads guilty to all charges, including murder

Garrett Hottle

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KESQ) – The father of baby Emmanuel Haro pleaded guilty to all charges in the murder case, News Channel 3 confirmed Thursday.

There is still no word on whether investigators have located the remains of seven-month-old Emmanuel Haro.

The Haros appeared in court for a felony settlement conference Thursday in Riverside, where Jake Haro pleaded guilty to all charges, which include second-degree homicide, filing a false police report, and assault of a child under 8; great bodily injury resulting in death.

The Riverside County District Attorney’s office noted that the plea was made straight to the judge, without negotiations between the defense and prosecution.

Jake Haro faces a potential sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

He is set to be sentenced on Nov. 3. Rebecca Haro is also scheduled to appear in court that same day for a preliminary hearing. That hearing, if it proceeds, will determine whether that are sufficient grounds for a trial on charges of murder and filing a false police report.

Jake Haro in court(10/16/25)

Emmanuel’s mother, Rebecca Haro, did not plead guilty; the case against her will continue. She is also charged with Emmanuel’s murder, along with filing a false police report and other charges.

News Channel 3’s Garrett Hottle is in the courtroom. He’ll have the latest live starting 4PM on News Channel 3.

Jake and Rebecca Haro were arrested on August 22 after investigators concluded Emmanuel was not kidnapped as initially reported by his mother.

At an August 27 news conference, Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said investigators had a “strong indication” of where Emmanuel’s body could be found, but no remains have ever been recovered.

Timeline: Case of Baby Emmanuel

Thursday, Aug. 14: Rebecca reports an assault and kidnapping outside a Yucaipa store, deputies and K-9s search; case later reclassified after inconsistencies in her account. 

Thursday, Sept. 4: Arraignments at 8:30 a.m., both parents remain jailed on $1 million bail. 

Wednesday, Aug. 27: DA Hestrin: Emmanuel was “severely abused over time”, investigators have a strong indication where remains may be; not yet found.

Tuesday, Aug. 26: First appearance; case continued to Sept. 4, complaint filed alleging murder and false report. 

Sunday, Aug. 24: Search along Hwy. 60/Gilman Springs with Jake present, no remains found. 

Friday, Aug. 22: Parents arrested in Cabazon after detectives concluded the kidnapping claim was false. 

Click here to follow the original article.

College of the Desert hosts Great California ShakeOut event

Allie Anthony

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ) – The Great California ShakeOut is happening today at 10:16 AM. People across the Coachella Valley will join millions worldwide in this annual earthquake drill. Although the ShakeOut now takes place in over 50 countries, it all began right here in California.

The purpose of the ShakeOut is to help individuals and communities prepare for a major earthquake through practice and education.

College of the Desert will be participating in today’s drill. A key partner in the effort is the Coachella Valley Disaster Preparedness Network, which is helping to coordinate the event on campus. They’re also educating students on how to stay safe during emergencies, and giving out free Go Bags filled with emergency supplies.

Click here to follow the original article.

Palm Springs unveils new art display from sister city in Mexico

Jesus Reyes

A new art display is bringing bright colors and culture to downtown Palm Springs.

The new art installation called “Deriva Floral” by artist Daniel “Mestiz” Valero originates from San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, Palm Springs’ sister city

The colorful floral display is located on Museum Way and highlights the cultural and artistic ties between Palm Springs and San Miguel de Allende.

The project is part of an ongoing collaboration that also allows student and culinary exchange programs between the two cities.

“These types of relationships and celebration of friendships are so important because they send a very strong message. that we can have great projects working together and that without having to worry about borders or divisions, uh, whether political or cultural, so this sends a really strong message to everyone in our community,” said

Residents can enjoy the installation outside the Palm Springs Art Museum through mid-November.

Click here to follow the original article.