Palm Springs ice cream festival supports LGBTQ+ food bank with growing government shutdown need

Timothy Foster

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. (KESQ) — As the government shutdown stretches on, food insecurity is rising across the Coachella Valley, and local organizations are stepping up to help.

Over the weekend, the first-ever Scoop Palm Springs Ice Cream Festival brought hundreds of people downtown for a day of sweets, music, and community. Behind the celebration, the event aimed to raise money for the LGBTQ Community Center of the Desert’s food bank.

The Center’s food program serves hundreds of residents every week, offering free groceries and fresh produce to low-income individuals and families, including many affected by recent federal aid delays. With government programs like CalFresh and SNAP disrupted by the ongoing shutdown, local demand has increased significantly.

Daniel Szpak, founder of Scoop Palm Springs and chief organizer of the event, explained that food insecurity continues to be a problem in the community, especially with funding cuts, and that all proceeds from ticket sales go directly to the LGBTQ Center’s Community Food Bank. The event provides a fun way for the community to give back and make a real impact.

Center staff noted that they are serving over 500 households every week and adding new families constantly. Events like the festival are essential to keeping the food bank stocked and meeting growing community needs.

The ice cream festival featured local vendors, live entertainment, and family-friendly activities, turning a classic treat into a way to fight hunger and support inclusion. Organizers plan to make it an annual Palm Springs tradition, helping the community come together one scoop at a time.

Residents who want to donate or volunteer with the LGBTQ Community Center’s food bank can visit thecentercv.org

Click here to follow the original article.

Monument teacher arrested, accused of stabbing and killing 1, critically injuring 2 others

Sadie Buggle

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KRDO) – Monument Academy has confirmed one of its now-former teachers was arrested in connection with a stabbing attack in Colorado Springs on Halloween night, which killed one and left two others in critical condition.

According to the Colorado Springs Police Department (CSPD), 33-year-old Matthew Regnier was arrested and charged with first-degree murder, two counts of attempted first-degree murder, two counts of first-degree assault, and one count of child abuse.

A spokesperson with Monument Academy in Lewis Palmer School District 38 has confirmed to KRDO13 that, prior to the stabbing, Regnier was an art teacher on their secondary campus and had served in the role since August 2023.

The school says Regnier’s employment was terminated, effective Nov. 2, after administration learned about the charges against him.

District 38 also confirmed Regnier served as a coach with the junior varsity soccer team at Palmer Ridge High School. He is no longer serving in that coaching role.

“This news is heartbreaking for our entire school community,” said Collin Vinchattle, the executive director of Monument Academy. “The safety, well-being, and trust of our students, families, and staff are our toppriorities. We are focused on providing care and support to those who may be affected.”

The school says it will be fully cooperating with law enforcement as the investigation continues, and that counseling services will be available to both students and staff as they process the news.

Background

On Oct. 31, Colorado Springs police were called out to a home on North El Paso Street. Upon arrival, officers found three people, one man and two women, who had been stabbed. Further inside the residence, officers found another man with minor stab wounds and a child, who was not injured in the attack.

The first three found by officers had suffered life-threatening injuries. The man later succumbed to those injuries at the hospital, while police say the two women are still being treated for their injuries.

CSPD said the man with minor wounds was also transported to the hospital for treatment before he was taken to the police station for questioning. The department has not said if the man found at the scene with minor injuries was Regnier.

Click here to follow the original article.

Skydivers take the leap for Noyes Home for Children

Rebecca Evans

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (News-Press NOW) — Seventeen people took a leap for a good cause Sunday afternoon, jumping out of a plane to raise money for the Noyes Home for Children.

Those who raised at least $500 for the nonprofit earned the chance to skydive as part of the “Soaring with Kindness” fundraising event at Falcon Skydiving. That included News-Press NOW’s Rebecca Evans, taking the plunge for a purpose.

Lydia Grier said the experience was overall something she highly recommends.

“It was so fun! I’m so grateful to be able to help raise money for the Noyes Home. I love everything they do for our town.

The event brought in more than $8,500 to support the Noyes Home’s mission of providing shelter, care and stability for children and families in need.

The Noyes Home has served as a safe haven for kids in the St. Joseph community for more than a century.

Grier said, “”Thank you Noyes Home for all that you do for St. Joe’s youth.”

To book your own skydiving experience, call 913-205-1224. To donate or learn more about the Noyes Home for Children, visit the Noyes Home’s website.

Click here to follow the original article.

Two men injured after shooting in Oxnard on Halloween

Caleb Nguyen

OXNARD, Calif. (KEYT) – A shooting in Oxnard sent two men to the hospital just after 11:00 p.m. on Halloween night, according to the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office.

A 22-year-old threatened to fire shots at a party and VCSO deputies treated a victim suffering from gunshot wounds, searching for the suspect at the 2400 block of E. Channel Island Blvd.

Several people fled the area when more gunshots went off and a second person required medical attention, according to the VCSO.

Both people are in stable conditions after treatment and the investigation on the shooting remains ongoing, according to the VCSO.

Those with information on the incident are asked to contact the VCSO at the following number.

Click here to follow the original article.

Local golfers participate in Lower River Junkies Golf Tournament

Paul Vozzella

YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA) – Local golfers headed to Mesa Del Sol for the Lower River Junkies Golf Tournament this weekend.

It is the fifth time the group has put the tournament on.

The Lower River Junkies did so in memory of Kermit McMillin and Jeff Brady, who drowned in an effort to save his two nephews over the Fourth of July weekend this year.

“They were people bigger than life, so we put on this event to honor them. Every year, we honor somebody from our river community,” said Barry McMillin, founder of the Lower River Junkies.

The title sponsor for the event was MPS Medical Billing and Collections benefitting K9 OPS Foundation.

“We’ve been able to transfer that money to our local community, to the law enforcement canine teams in our local community so that they can better help us,” said Mark Sims, Vice President of the K9 OPS Foundation.

Over 100 players participated and raised money.

Click here to follow the original article.

Locals attend second and final day of 10th Annual YumaCon

Dillon Fuhrman

YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA) – Locals across Yuma County attended the second and final day of the 10th Annual YumaCon Sunday.

The event took place at the Yuma Civic Center at 11:00 a.m., and featured a building cosplay from scratch panel, Cosplay Cafe and a variety of vendors.

During the event, there was also a Q&A session with voice actor Erik Kimerer, who voiced Speed-o’-Sound Sonic from “One Punch Man” and Iguro Obanai from “Demon Slayer.”

In addition, attendees got the chance to participate in tabletop games and retro video games like Yu-Gi-Oh, Star Wars Unlimited, Pokemon and Digimon.

The event lasted until 5:00 p.m.

Click here to follow the original article.

Civilian hurt after house fire in Ventura

Caleb Nguyen

VENTURA, Calif. (KEYT) – A house fire in Ventura injured a civilian in West Ventura just after 2:00 a.m. Saturday, according to the Ventura City Fire Department.

VCFD crews put the fire out within 20 minutes and took the patient to a local hospital for their injuries after they complained about smoke inhalation.

VCFD crews stayed for two hours after knocking the fire down and stopped the fire from spreading to other homes.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Click here to follow the original article.

CIF-SS high school football first round playoff matchups

Mike Klan

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (KEYT)-

All first round playoff games scheduled for Friday, November 7 at 7pm.

CIF-SS D3:

Oak Hills at Pacifica

CIF-SS D4:

San Jacinto at Bishop Diego

Villa Park at Westlake

St. Bonaventure at Oaks Christian

CIF-SS D5:

Newbury Park at Loyola

Rio Hondo Prep at Thousand Oaks

CIF-SS D6:

Summit at Agoura

Salesian at Ventura

ML King at Moorpark

CIF-SS D7:

El Segundo at Calabasas

CIF-SS D9:

Cerritos at Fillmore

CIF-SS D10:

Oak Park at Village Christian

CIF-SS D11:

San Marcos at South Pasadena

CIF-SS D12:

Rialto at Grace

Ocean View at Santa Paula

CIF-SS D13:

Nordhoff at Burbank

CIF-SS 8-Player:

Division 1: Thacher at Avalon; Valley Christian Academy has a bye

Division 2: United Christian Academy at Cate

Click here to follow the original article.

Crash north of Fort Hall temporarily blocks lanes

Noah Farley

FORT HALL, Idaho (KIFI) — Idaho State Police is investigating a crash involving two vehicles near Interstate 15 milepost 85 north of Fort Hall. The crash happened October 31, 2025, at about 1:36 p.m.

The crash involved a 45-year-old man from Rexburg was driving a 2012 Freightliner and a 28-year-old man from Saskatchewan, Canada, driving a 2020 Freightliner.

The 2020 Freightliner went into the median and rolled after hitting the 2012 Freightliner.

Nobody involved with the crash was injured.

“The left northbound lane on I15 was blocked for approximately 20 minutes,” ISP said in a news release. “The southbound left lane on I15 was blocked for approximately 5 hours and 30 minutes for cleanup.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Rural Metro responds to house fire on W. Eighth Street

Dillon Fuhrman

YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA) – Rural Metro responded to a house fire Sunday morning.

According to a post on Facebook, it happened before 10:00 a.m. in the area of W. Eighth Street and S. Alicia Avenue.

Upon arrival, Rural Metro said they found an unoccupied single family home 50% engulfed in flames. There was also a fire spreading in the backyard of the home.

Rural Metro said they performed a quick knockdown of both fires, and said crews remained on scene checking for hot spots.

Courtesy: Rural Metro

Courtesy: Rural Metro

While no one was inside the home at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported, Rural Metro said the house was deemed a total loss.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Courtesy: Rural Metro

Courtesy: Rural Metro

Click here to follow the original article.