Offices for nonprofit protecting local mountains closes amid government shutdown

Gavin Nguyen

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ) – The offices for Friends of the Desert Mountains, a nonprofit that partners with the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument, have closed due to the ongoing government shutdown.

The organization has weathered government shutdowns before, but this is the first time they have been unable to continue operations. Their offices are located on federal land at the start of the monument off of Highway 74.

Tammy Martin, the nonprofit’s Executive Director, explained, “I think it’s probably due to the administration and the rules that are coming down from higher up. And they had they just have to follow what’s being directed to them.”

Martin says the nonprofit does not pay rent or utilities to operate its offices and gift shop at the visitor center because of the close partnership it has with its federal counterparts. That agreement, though, is what led to the closure amid the shutdown. And according to Martin, the timing is detrimental.

“In season, it’s overwhelming with people. They’re going on guided hikes. They’re just coming to check out things. They want to know what to do in the valley – that’s why they’re here. So, yes, with the government being shut down and this being in season right now, it’s hitting us hard,” she said.

The nonprofit said because of the shutdown, less donations are being given due to canceled programs and income has been lost since it cannot operate its gift shop. Other programs, like upcoming anniversaries for the monument, could also be postponed if funding is not restored in the coming weeks.

Ten of the nonprofit’s employees are still working off-site, but their services are limited for now. Programs that are continuing are still being hosted on the organization’s website, like native planting lectures.

But in the meantime, hikers in the area said locals have lost a vital source for knowledge and education about our natural landscape.

“If I was a kid, this would be a place that I would like to enjoy the education,” said Raymond Rubio. He is an avid hiker who frequents the trails in the area who is very familiar with the programs Friends of the Desert Mountains provides. “It’s a necessity to this part of the valley.”

“I just wish that this would all be over with if I didn’t know that this place is closed down. And that’s too bad, because those are good people that are in there that are trying their best to to do what they believe in,” Rubio hoped.

Click here to follow the original article.

Arraignment of Bend man accused of violent assault in his home has been delayed

Kelsey Merison

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) — On Thursday at the Deschutes County Courthouse, Bend resident Garry Dean Mode made an appearance in front of Deschutes County Circuit Judge Michelle McIver.

Mode, 62, is the man accused of a violent confrontation with an acquaintance at his home in southeast Bend earlier this month.

The brief court hearing ended with the judge and attorneys agreeing to delay Mode’s arraignment, as the grand jury is set to hear the case next week and consider an indictment on formal charges.

Mode’s hearing date as reset to November 13th.

KTVZ News will keep you updated on this developing story.

Earlier story — October 15th — BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) — 62-year-old Garry Dean Mode, a Bend resident, was arrested following a dispute in his home Tuesday evening, according to the Bend Police Department.

According to police, BPD responded to Mode’s home in the 61000 block of Parrell Road in Southeast Bend at 7:28 p.m. Tuesday evening following a 911 call Mode made, stating he had just been involved in an altercation with an acquaintance he had invited to his home. Mode explained that he had used multiple weapons during the dispute.

When police arrived, “They found the victim, a 45-year-old Bend resident, with serious injuries in the driveway. The victim was transported to St. Charles Bend.”

“Mode was still on scene at the home when officers arrived, and was taken into custody. He was transported to the Bend Police Department and then lodged at the Deschutes County Jail on suspicion of the above offenses,” Sheila Miller, the communications manager for Bend Police said in a press release.

Click here to follow the original article.

Yuma man arrested for narcotics possession and confining elderly woman

Skylar Heisey

YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA) – Yuma County deputies say a man is behind bars for drug possession after they found drugs in a home along with an elderly woman who appeared to be confined for a long period of time. 

The Yuma County Sheriff’s Office says 41-year-old Vincent Maldonado was arrested and booked into the Yuma County Detention Center on several charges, including possession of a narcotics for sale and possession of a weapon.

Police say the home is on Third Street and 15th Avenue, close to Carver Park in Yuma.

A search team discovered more than 200 grams of meth with an estimated street value of at least $5,500, and more than ten grams of cocaine with an estimated street value of over $6,000.

The 82-year-old woman was responsive and was later taken to Onvida Health as a precautionary measure.

Maldonado is facing unlawful imprisonment charges, domestic violence endangerment charges, and child/ vulnerable adult abuse charges.

“There was a lock outside the home that the deputies on scene had to forcefully take off which means that the elderly person was not able to leave the home on their own,” said Tania Pavlak from the Yuma County Sherriff’s Office.

Maria Carrillo says she is scared it happened to close to home.

“You can’t even go outside to throw out your trash a lot, or go out at night, its my home and it brings me fear,” she said.

He is currently facing 10 charges, and is on a bond of $175,000.

Maldonado is scheduled to be back in court on Thursday.

To learn more about the arrest, read the press release below.

PR-2025-55-Narcotics-Search-WarrantDownload

Click here to follow the original article.

Texas parents arrested after leaving 6-month-old baby alone on Florida beach, sheriff says

By Sergio Candido

Click here for updates on this story

    Florida (WFOR) — Two Texas parents were arrested and face child neglect charges after authorities said they left their 6-month-old baby unattended on a Florida beach for nearly an hour while they walked away with their other children.

The incident took place on Oct. 10 in Miramar Beach, a census-designated area located just east of Destin in the Florida Panhandle.

Around noon that Friday, deputies responded to 4000 Sandestin Boulevard following reports of an unattended infant on the beach. When deputies arrived, witnesses confirmed the child had been left alone for nearly an hour beneath a tent while the parents walked down the beach with three other children, the Walton County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday in a Facebook post detailing the arrest.

Good Samaritans immediately began caring for the child and called law enforcement, authorities said.

“We’re thankful for the quick-thinking beachgoer who raised the alarm and for those who stepped in to care for the child with the same kindness and concern they would show their own,” Sheriff Michael Adkinson said.

While deputies waited for South Walton Fire District personnel to arrive and assess the infant, the parents returned to the scene, where both admitted to placing the child under the tent for a nap before leaving with their other children, claiming they lost track of time, WCSO said.

Video showed Houston parents left baby alone for nearly an hour

Security footage obtained during the investigation confirmed the family was away for nearly an hour and did not bring their cellphone with them.

South Walton Fire personnel evaluated the infant and confirmed the child’s vitals were normal and they were not in distress. The Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) was notified and responded immediately to the scene.

Both parents, Brian Wilks, 40, and Sara Wilks, 37, of Houston, Texas, were arrested and charged with child neglect without great bodily harm. DCF took custody of the children pending the arrival of family members traveling from Texas. They both bonded out the following on Saturday, Oct. 11, on a $1,000 bond each.

“This incident serves as a reminder that even brief moments of inattention can have serious consequences and can sometimes lead to tragic outcomes,” the sheriff’s office said.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

City of El Centro announces recipients of 2025 Quiet Servant Award

Marcos Icahuate

EL CENTRO, Calif. (KYMA) – The City of El Centro announced the recipients of the 2025 Quiet Servant Award.

Verna Wow-Wright and Fernando Banuelos were nominated for making meaningful differences in the community.

“The Quiet Servant Award highlights the heart of our community,” said Mayor Sonia Carter. “Verna Wow-Wright and Fernando Banuelos embody what it means to server quietly yet powerfully. Their kindness, commitment, and willingness to go above and beyond inspire all of us to make a difference in the lives of others.”

Wow-Wright has supported several local organizations such as WomanHaven, Imperial Valley Food Bank and the Humane Society of Imperial County. She’s worked in Child Nutrition for nearly 30 years and has adopted out of the foster care system.

Banuelos works for the City’s Facility Maintenance Division, and has been known to work beyond his duties. He ensures the City is clean and organized, while also taking initiative on other projects.

Wow-Wright and Banuelos will be recognized during the City Council meeting on Tuesday, October 21 at El Centro City Hall, starting at 6 p.m.

Click here to follow the original article.

Brush fire at Barbara Worth Country Club

Marcos Icahuate

HOLTVILLE, Calif. (KYMA) – A brush fire was seen at the Barbara Worth Country Club.

Fire crews from Imperial County, Calexico and El Centro were in the area as palm trees caught fire.

The fire spread to a warehouse next to the golf course on the Country Club.

Anderholt Road was closed from Evan Hewes Highway to Ross Road.

Click here to follow the original article.

Highlighting a local woman in agriculture

Eduardo Morales

YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA) – In Tuesday’s Home Grown report, we highlight Martha Ryan, a local woman who works in the agriculture industry.

Martha Ryan is the Farm Spray and Planting Department Manager for JV Farms.

She has been working in agriculture since she was 18 and has been a part of the planting team for almost three years.

Ryan says she has been around farming her whole life, and is proud of what she does.

“As a Latina woman in agriculture, I am proud to represent women in this industry, and show that passion and dedication can take you very far. I truly love what I do and wouldn’t have it any other way,” says Ryan.

She says she is also proud to follow in her father’s footsteps and make Yuma home.

Click here to follow the original article.

Local artist recognized in Vogue Magazine

Madeline Murray

YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA) – A local makeup artist from Yuma was recognized in Vogue Magazine.

Olivia Esperanza, a local makeup artist, was inspired to do makeup after many people started to compliment her work.

“In 2013, I would say I got into makeup school, cosmetology school, and I came out literally just doing makeup, I started doing creative makeup and it kind of just went from there,” says Esperanza.

Esperanza was invited to the Santa Fe Indian Market fashion Week in New Mexico where her makeup was featured.

She says when she got home she saw the Indian Market Fashion Week was published in Vogue. That’s when she noticed her work in the magazine.

Esperanza shares how she feels seeing her hard work pay off saying, “It’s just like I don’t know…it’s just cool to me, just like where I came from and where I am now, it’s just really crazy to me.”

Esperanza provided advice for local makeup artists in Yuma wanting to make it in the industry.

“Keep trying, like the way I got into it, like finding, you know just going onto Instagram, and you know seeing fashion shows and applying for it. You’re able to get in there, anyone can do it.”

She says anything you put your mind to you can accomplish.

“If you dream it, manifest it, everything like, this came out of nowhere, and I just did not expect it, and it really motivated me to do it a lot more,” says Esperanza.

Esperanza hopes to eventually make it to New York Fashion Week or Fashion Week in Milan.

Click here to follow the original article.

Mom speaks out after trial delayed again for woman found alive in body bag 5 years ago

By Glenda Lewis

Click here for updates on this story

    SOUTHFIELD, Michigan (WXYZ) — For the first time in five years, the mother of a woman mistakenly declared dead in Southfield is speaking out about her ongoing fight for justice.

Erica Lattimore’s daughter, 20-year-old Timesha Beauchamp, was found alive in a funeral home in 2020, but the case still has not gone to court.

Just three days before a scheduled trial, the Oakland County Circuit Court issued an order postponing it for a third time.

“That’s devastating to a family already to hear she’s deceased, prepare your mind mentally that you have to prepare a funeral initially and then to hear someone say, ‘No, your child is alive,'” Lattimore said.

Lattimore’s attorneys met with media at Fieger Law Offices to share the heartbreak over what they say has been five years of endless delays, appeals and denials being used to keep the mother from having her day in court.

“Three days before this family was finally supposed to have an opportunity to tell their story, finally have an opportunity to confront the government for what they did. Instead, because of laws here in Michigan that give the government and only the government chance after chance after chance to avoid accountability,” attorney Steve Hurbis said.

The incident occurred in August 2020 when Beauchamp, who had cerebral palsy and was nonverbal, was having trouble breathing. After a medical crew tried to resuscitate her, a doctor pronounced her dead by phone. She was taken to the morgue instead of the hospital, where she was found with her eyes open and alive when the body bag was unzipped. Beauchamp eventually died almost two months later.

“They found Timesha alive in a body bag at a funeral home,” attorney Steve Hurbis said. “Her family had to receive a phone call on one of the most challenging days of their entire life telling them that their little girl was alive. She was alive when she was placed in that body bag and it was the actions of the government’s employees that got her there.”

“This is the second time we’ve been up to the Court of Appeals on government immunity issues in this case,” attorney Jennifer Damico said. “We’re very confident that we will prevail. Again, the problem is that’s just more delay. I don’t know how long it’ll take for the Court of Appeals, but, I mean, probably got another year until we get this case back in line for trial.”

The delays have taken a toll on Beauchamp’s siblings — an older brother and a twin brother, who has autism. Lattimore says they are both having a hard time accepting what happened, with sleepless nights spent in their sister’s room.

Despite the emotional toll, Lattimore remains determined.

“I had to be stronger for her two siblings, so all of my emotions and stuff, I kind of buried them …” an emotional Lattimore said. “I’m not giving up. I will go through the long haul, however long it takes. She lived 20 years. If it takes 20 more years for this to get heard in court and God gives me the breath, I’m there.”

Attorneys for the city of Southfield have not yet responded to requests for comment about the third appeal.

This story was reported on-air by a journalist and has been converted to this platform with the assistance of AI. WXYZ’s editorial team verifies all reporting on all platforms for fairness and accuracy.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

APD halts ‘unpermitted concert’ at Piedmont Park; Social media videos show Daniel Caesar performing

By Donesha Aldridge

Click here for updates on this story

    ATLANTA (WXIA) — Videos online Monday afternoon show a massive crowd at Piedmont Park that gathered to reportedly see singer Daniel Caesar do a pop-up performance.

The artist shared on Instagram Monday he was going to be at the park around 4 p.m., telling fans, “see you there.”

People shared videos of the artist online singing to the large crowd.

An official with Atlanta’s Department of Parks and Recreation said their office, along with Atlanta Police, coordinated to respond to the park for an “unpermitted concert.”

“This event was not authorized or permitted through the City’s official event application process, which is in place to ensure public safety and proper park management. APD responded to ensure public safety and dispersed the crowd in an orderly manner,” the statement said.

Officials with Parks and Recreation asked that anyone who wants to hold an event at a city park to be sure to apply for a special event permit “to ensure compliance and safety for all attendees.”

Daniel Caesar is known for his hits “Best Part,” “Get You” and others.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.