Falls of Clyde ship towed from Honolulu Harbor, sunk south of Oahu

By Jeremiah Estrada

Click here for updates on this story

    HONOLULU (KITV) — The Falls of Clyde ship has been removed from Honolulu Harbor and the remainders of this maritime history was sunk south of the island.

The ocean disposal of Falls of Clyde was completed on Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2025, after it first arrived in Hawaii in 1898. As one of the one of the oldest surviving ships from the Matson fleet, it transported goods between the islands and the West Coast.

The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) and Shipwright LLC began the operation at sunrise on Wednesday. Falls of Clyde was towed from its berth at Pier 7 to the disposal site approximately 25 miles south of Honolulu Harbor.

The sinking of the ship was completed as planned, which Shipwright notified HDOT about around noon.

Falls of Clyde was restored and became a floating maritime museum before it was condemned in 2016.

The Friends of Falls of Clyde held a small send-off ceremony ahead of the ship’s removal from the port on Tuesday, Oct. 14. Though the ship now rests in waters around Oahu, HDOT will memorialize it with a permanent display that will feature key artifacts such as the ship’s name board, wheel and bell.

“HDOT extends its appreciation to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Coast Guard for its guidance through the regulatory process for the operation,” HDOT shared in a news release.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

Otter pirates surfer’s board in Santa Cruz, evoking memories of Otter 841

By Michael Rosales

Click here for updates on this story

    SANTA CRUZ, California (KSBW) — A surfer at Steamer Lane says an otter bit her foot and then climbed onto her board Tuesday evening, holding it hostage for roughly 20 minutes as rescuers rushed in.

Isabella Orduna was paddling out when she felt “a nip” on her foot. She rolled off and turned to see an otter perched on her board.

Unsure what to do, Orduna called to another surfer for help. A full water rescue followed, with emergency crews arriving within minutes.

Ben Coffey, a marine safety officer with Santa Cruz Fire, helped escort Orduna out of the water. “You don’t go out thinking an otter is going to get on your board,” he said, adding she stayed calm and was not hurt.

The encounter revived memories of “Otter 841,” a female sea otter that went viral two years ago for repeatedly taking over surfers’ boards in Santa Cruz.

Whether it’s the same otter is unknown. Experts note there’s no current way to confirm 841’s identity; she previously had a tracker, but it’s no longer on her.

Orduna left the beach uninjured and in good spirits.

As a surfer, she said, it’s important to remember humans are guests in the ocean and to respect wildlife. She doesn’t hold a grudge—just plans to be a bit more cautious about who she shares the lineup with.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

Kevin Harrington
7-9473

Nearly 700 Oregon schools receive more than 14,000 naloxone doses to prevent and respond to opioid overdoses

Kelsey Merison

OREGON (KTVZ) — Oregon’s schools are better equipped to prevent and respond to opioid overdoses following a collaborative effort last year to offer free overdose reversal kits to middle and high schools, colleges and universities across the state, as well as expanded substance use prevention resources.

The collaboration between Oregon Health Authority and the Oregon Department of Education resulted in 692 schools receiving free opioid overdose reversal kits, totaling more than 14,000 additional doses. 

The program marked an expansion of ‘Save Lives Oregon’ and was possible because of one-time funding through Oregon’s Opioid Settlement Prevention, Treatment and Recovery Board.  

Every school in Oregon is now eligible to receive the kits.

You can learn more about opioid overdose and prevention by clicking here.

Click here to follow the original article.

New silverback gorilla “Cecil” debuts at San Francisco Zoo

By Carlos E. Castañeda

Click here for updates on this story

    SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX) — The San Francisco Zoo on Wednesday gave a sneak preview of one of its newest residents, a male silverback Western lowland gorilla.

The 26-year-old gorilla named “Cecil” will make his official public debut on Saturday, after arriving at the zoo in early August from the Louisville Zoo in Kentucky. An acclimation process began after Cecil’s arrival, along with an introductory phase with the zoo’s resident females, zoo officials said.

Robbie Graham, the zoo’s senior curator of mammals, said the acclimation involved quarantine protocols, and after several weeks of visual engagement with the female gorillas, the doors inside the enclosure were opened so Cecil and the females could mingle.

“They’ve had a couple of weeks with the exhibit and the holdings to get used to each other and figure out the rules,” Graham said. “The girls definitely showed him who’s boss and running the show. Luckily, Cecil is probably one of the most even-tempered, chilled-out silverbacks there is.”

“The arrival of Cecil is a welcome one, not only for our gorilla family, but for the City of San Francisco,” said the zoo’s COO and Interim co-CEO Cassandra Costello. “From the excitement I hear from the community, we know that visitors will come specifically to see him, as he takes reign of his new family troop.”

In February, the zoo’s 43-year-old silverback gorilla, “Oscar Jonesy,” died from complications after a medical procedure. Oscar Jonesy had lived at the Buffalo Zoo for many years before moving to the San Francisco Zoo in 2004, becoming the head of the zoo’s “troop” of gorillas.

Oscar Jonesy was the father of “Kabibe,” a 16-month-old gorilla who was fatally crushed by a hydraulic door in 2014 while the gorillas were being moved to their night quarters. The zoo paid a $1,750 fine for negligence over the accident.

In 2020, the zoo’s 39-year-old female gorilla “Zura” died after suffering from long-term digestive issues.

In August, longtime San Francisco Zoo & Gardens CEO Tanya Peterson retired weeks after Mayor Daniel Lurie called for her departure. Peterson and the zoo had come under fire following an October 2024 audit compiled by the San Francisco Animal Control and Welfare Commission that concluded the zoo was outdated and unsafe for animals and visitors.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

Two horses found dead, western Colorado man charged with over 80 counts of animal cruelty

By Christa Swanson

Click here for updates on this story

    Colorado (KCNC) — A man in western Colorado was charged with more than 80 counts of cruelty to animals last week after reports of dead horses led to an investigation.

The Montrose County Sheriff’s Office said the first report they received came on May 31 when someone spotted a dead horse on the property of 61-year-old Scott Flores. Another passerby contacted the sheriff’s office on June 12 regarding another dead horse on the same property.

An animal control officer began investigating, speaking with Flores and photographing several horses on the property. They also contacted the Bureau of Animal Protection and the investigative division of the Colorado Department of Agriculture to look into the case.

BAP investigators obtained a search warrant on June 19, which allowed them to enter and document conditions on the property. Once a second search warrant was issued on July 3, veterinarians and investigators evaluated the animals located there. Authorities said they removed 79 horses, four dogs and one goat and took them to a BAP holding facility for further health assessments.

The district attorney for the 7th Judicial District said Flores has a previous offense and charged him with 84 misdemeanor counts of cruelty to animals under his care.

Flores is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 21 for advisement of charges.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

Garbage truck hits, kills homeless man lying in driveway

By Carlos E. Castañeda

Click here for updates on this story

    SAN JOSE, California (KPIX) — An unhoused man in the back alley of a San Jose strip mall died after being run over by a garbage truck early Thursday morning, authorities said.

The incident happened at approximately 4 a.m. Thursday on South Bascom Avenue between Curtner and Camden avenues. The San Jose Police Department said in a press release that officers responded to a report of a collision involving a garbage truck and a pedestrian.

The investigation found that a garbage truck headed west on Shamrock Drive from Bascom Avenue had turned into an alley and hit a man who was lying in the driveway and covered in blankets. The man was taken to a hospital where he died of his injuries, police said.

The driver of the garbage truck remained at the location and was cooperating with the investigation.

It was the city’s 29th fatal collision and 29th traffic death of 2025, along with the 14th pedestrian death of the year.

The Santa Clara County Office of the Medical Examiner withheld the man’s identity until his family could be notified.

Anyone with information about the incident was asked to contact Detective DelliCarpini #4103 of the Police Department’s traffic investigations unit at 4103@sanjoseca.gov or 408-277-4654.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

Siku, Lincoln Park Zoo polar bear, is moving to Madison, Wisconsin

By Adam Harrington

Click here for updates on this story

    Illinois (WBBM) — A polar bear from the Lincoln Park Zoo is turning into a badger.

No, the zoo has not mastered shapeshifting. Siku, a 15-year-old male polar bear, is moving in the coming weeks to Madison, Wisconsin — home, of course, of the University of Wisconsin Badgers.

Siku is being transferred to the Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison as part of a nationwide conservation initiative to maintain a sustainable and genetically diverse polar bear population, the Lincoln Park Zoo said.

At an early-bird member morning recently, Lincoln Park Zoo members said goodbye to Siku, leaving messages on the window of the polar bear habitat at the Walter Family Arctic Tundra, the zoo announced.

The playful Siku arrived in Chicago in 2016, and has been a fan favorite ever since, the zoo said.

“It’s hard not to smile when you see Siku swimming, exploring, pouncing on one of his many balls, or foraging in ice,” curator Cassy Kutilek said in a news release. “He quickly won the hearts of his care team and while we’ll be sad to see him go, we’re excited to see him embark on his next adventure—hopefully as a polar bear dad!”

Talini, the resident female polar bear at the Lincoln Park Zoo, is now elderly and receiving specialized geriatric care. She will soon enter her den for the winter, the zoo said.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

College of the Desert hosts Great California ShakeOut event

Allie Anthony

PALM DESERT, Calif. (KESQ) – The Great California ShakeOut is happening today at 10:16 AM. People across the Coachella Valley will join millions worldwide in this annual earthquake drill. Although the ShakeOut now takes place in over 50 countries, it all began right here in California.

The purpose of the ShakeOut is to help individuals and communities prepare for a major earthquake through practice and education.

College of the Desert will be participating in today’s drill. A key partner in the effort is the Coachella Valley Disaster Preparedness Network, which is helping to coordinate the event on campus. They’re also educating students on how to stay safe during emergencies, and giving out free Go Bags filled with emergency supplies.

Click here to follow the original article.

Spa owner accused of giving “black market Botox” treatments

By Stephen Swanson

Click here for updates on this story

    PRIOR LAKE, Minnesota (WCCO) — A spa in Prior Lake, Minnesota, is at the center of a criminal investigation into alleged “black market” Botox treatments.

According to the complaint filed last month in Scott County, the owner of the anti-aging spa, a 59-year-old Prior Lake woman, was using unlicensed Botox-like products and semaglutide weight loss drugs, also known as GLP-1, without the legal authority to do so.

The complaint states a longtime friend of the defendant tipped off authorities last year that she’s not a registered nurse and there was no medical director at the spa. The friend said the defendant told them “she gets Botox really cheap and makes a ton of money.”

A former employee also told authorities she had worked at the spa between 2022 and 2023 and said the defendant “would never let her inject people with Botox” even though she was qualified to do so, and instead did all injections herself, the complaint states.

Both the friend and the former employee also claimed the defendant’s ex-husband told them separately the Botox-like products were unregulated bootlegs.

Another witness told investigators the defendant ordered her products from China and “learned to inject Botox from watching YouTube.” A man who briefly worked as the spa’s former medical director told investigators he reported the defendant to the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice after learning of the allegations.

In July 2025, a former customer told investigators she had “a terrible experience” at the spa during an open house when she had some painful injections of what they believed was Juvederm. The customer later asked the defendant to provide her with the drugs’ lot numbers, which she then gave to the company that makes Juvederm. The company confirmed “those numbers were not their product,” according to the complaint.

The defendant later told investigators she had neurotoxin training in Texas and was unsure if her certification was valid in Minnesota. The complaint states the defendant also claimed that she was “joking” when she said the product was from the “black market,” and blamed a voice text that “got messed up” for the misunderstanding.

She went on to say she was “providing a service to women, her heart is good, and all she does is give,” the complaint states.

The defendant is charged with one count of unlawful practice of medicine, a gross misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.

‘Overwhelmed with joy’: Buffalo Academy of Science students throw principal a surprise wedding

By Taylor Epps

Click here for updates on this story

    BUFFALO, New York (WKBW) — You can only invite so many people to your wedding. A Buffalo principal was able to squeeze in all of her school students; she just didn’t know it.

Brianna Lenoye, Principal at Buffalo Academy of Science Charter School (BuffSci), mentioned wishing all of her students could come to her wedding.

They didn’t go. Instead, they brought the wedding to school a few days before, and she had no idea it was coming.

“I was completely overwhelmed with joy and emotion,” said Principal Lanoye. “To see the love and effort the students and team poured into this for me was one of the most touching moments of my life. This is a day I will truly never forget. They are all a part of my family.”

It was a normal day until Ms. Lenoye, now a Mrs., was led to the courtyard, which was transformed into a wedding venue, with the entire elementary school waiting as guests.

Courtney Champlin, her assistant principal, walked her down the aisle in a tuxedo t-shirt, and at the end of the aisle, her groom, Zach, was waiting.

A student officiated the ceremony, and classmates gave speeches.

“I want to personally thank you for all you did for me,” one student said. “I will never forget the difference you have made in my life.”

Ms. Lanoye and her groom exchanged candy rings and wedding vows. Students showered her with love and dance moves on a day she will never forget.

“It was more than I ever thought anyone would do for me,” said Lanoye. “It was really special.”

It was good practice for the actual wedding, which was also at BuffSci.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.