One-way switch: Traffic on Bend’s NE Franklin Avenue will change directions to finish up project

KTVZ

Update: Adding video

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) — Beginning on Monday, Nov. 3, the one-way traffic on Franklin Avenue between Fourth Street and Eighth Street will switch directions (eastbound open, westbound closed) to complete the next phase of construction on an improvements project, the city said Thursday.

The temporary traffic direction switch will open the eastbound traffic lane and close the westbound traffic lane. This temporary configuration is expected to be in place through early December, the city said in a news release that continues below:

This switch is necessary to allow for construction work on the north side and remaining areas. Access to local businesses and residential properties will be maintained throughout construction, and appropriate signage will be in place to guide the traveling public through the work zone.

“We appreciate the public’s patience as we move into this next phase of the Franklin Avenue Improvement project,” said Todd Johnson, Senior Project Engineer with the City of Bend Engineering Department. “This project will improve safety for all users. As always, we urge drivers to slow down, pay attention to signage, and allow for extra time when traveling through the work zone”.

The full project is ahead of schedule and, weather permitting, is expected to be completed in early December.

For the eastbound detour map and more information about the project, visit bendoregon.gov/midtowncrossings.

Click here to follow the original article.

‘We need a miracle,’14-year-old hit by DUI driver in critical condition

Athena Jreij

LA QUINTA, Calif. (KESQ) — One of two boys struck in a La Quinta DUI crash last week, is in critical condition at Loma Linda University Medical Center, according to his family.

On Friday October 10th, Thermal Sheriff’s deputies responded to a collision at the intersection of Highway 111 and Adams St., when they found two juveniles hit by a car while riding their bikes.

One of those boys was 14-year-old La Quinta High School freshman, Liam Cantu.

Speaking exclusively to News Channel 3, Liam’s parents, Jennifer Perez and Jesus Cantu, say their friend found Liam at the scene and called them with the news that would change their life.

“They immediately called us and told us that my son was hit by a drunk driver or a car crash. We’re thinking that he was on the bike lane and the person tried to go around the traffic and hit my son and his friend,” Jesus Cantu said.

The family says the suspected drunk driver, identified as 47-year-old Jose Villegasorbe, first crashed in Indian Wells. The victim in that accident was chasing Villegasorbe at a high speed, when they crashed into the boys.

Liam’s friend survived with minor injuries but his parents say he hasn’t been as lucky. After the accident, he underwent emergency brain surgery and was put into a medically induced coma.

“He survived his initial brain surgery. They put him in an induced coma. His pressure was manageable, but Tuesday his pressures started to shoot up really high. So we’re hoping for a miracle right now. They’re telling us that he’s gone,” Perez and Cantu said.

The crash comes as Liam was excited to join the La Quinta High School baseball team.

“Liam’s been swinging a baseball bat since he could walk. He was excited for his first game. He had his jersey hung up. Out of everything he had in his closet, I don’t think he had anything hung up other than those two practice jerseys.”

Perez and Cantu describe their son as someone who is funny, outgoing, loved to dance and had an impact on everyone in his life.

“The baseball dads are calling me and telling me that their son wanted to quit baseball, and Liam motivated then to not quit, and to be better and help them. Everywhere we went, everyone always loved Liam.”

Now, they’re praying for a miracle and hoping the community’s prayers will bring back the Liam they love.

“We want to come on here and to tell the parents to hold their kids tight and and watch over them a little more. The day that they lose, the day you put your guard down, something tragic like this can happen,” Cantu said.

If you’d like to support the Cantu’s family and Liam’s recovery, visit: https://www.givesendgo.com/LiftedInAlmightyMercy?openShareModal=true.

Click here to follow the original article.

UPDATE: Rexburg railroad crossing fixed, technicians checking other sites

Seth Ratliff

UPDATE:

REXBURG, Idaho (KIFI) — After a malfunctioning railroad crossing brought traffic to a halt last night, Rexburg Police have confirmed the issue has been resolved.

Police confirmed last night that the intersection is now cycling and functioning normally. Railroad technicians are checking the equipment at other railroad crossings in the area to prevent similar issues.

ORIGINAL:

REXBURG, Idaho (KIFI) — A malfunctioning railroad crossing at the intersection of 7th Street and Yellowstone Hwy has brought traffic to a standstill in Rexburg.

The Rexburg Police Department has confirmed that officers are currently on the scene, and railroad technicians are en route. Drivers are being directed to take alternate routes and completely avoid the intersection until the issue is resolved.

For updates or more information, click HERE.

Click here to follow the original article.

Felon who allegedly shot at another man on a busy NE Bend street is sentenced on federal gun charge

Barney Lerten

(Update: Adding video)

EUGENE, Ore. (KTVZ) — A Bend man accused of shooting at another man on a busy northeast Bend street over a year ago was sentenced Thursday to nearly seven years in federal prison for being a felon in possession and use of a handgun.

Chief Judge Michael McShane sentenced Aaron Brandon Polit, 45, to 80 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release, Deschutes County District Attorney Steve Gunnels said in a news release.

On August 28, 2024, Polit was apprehended in possession of a firearm after he fired a handgun on Northeast Second Street in Bend, prosecutors said. An eyewitness with a concealed carry permit detained Polit at gunpoint until Bend Police arrived to take him into custody.

Gunnels said Polit was found to possess a handgun, a shotgun, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition. He has prior felony criminal convictions for assault, narcotics possession, and child neglect.

As KTVZ News reported after the incident, police said Polit parked on NE Emerson Avenue, got out of his Jeep holding a handgun, called out to a nearby man and fired at least one shot. A bystander with a concealed weapons permit drew his gun and confronted Polit, who dropped his gun.

Responding officers found a 9 mm handgun on the street, and police said a search of the Jeep turned up body armor, a 12-guage shotgun and ammunition.

Polit first was charged in Deschutes County Circuit Court, but the firearm charges were quickly adopted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Eugene. A federal grand jury indicted Polit on Sept. 19, 2024. The case was handled by county deputy district attorneys and assistant u.S. attorneys Andrew Doyle and Matthew Nelson in both jurisdictions.

Doyle filed a motion to dismiss the local indictment Thursday as a result of plea negotiations that led to the federal sentence, court records show.

The two prosecutors said, “This case is yet another example of a ‘value-added’ sentence secured through our successful strategic partnership with the United States Attorney’s Office. We would like to thank the office for their continued support on local cases and making the community safer as a result.”

The district attorney’s office also thanked Bend Police Department criminal detectives and the FBI for “their thorough and detailed investigation.”

Click here to follow the original article.

Fall Fossil Fest set to begin at Idaho Museum of Natural History

Ariel Jensen

POCATELLO, Idaho (KIFI) – The Idaho Museum of Natural History is bringing people back in time for a chance to check out some fossils.

The museum is holding its 5th annual Fall Fossil Fest.

They are spotlighting the world premiere of a massive fossil skull belonging to Idaho’s very own ancient crocodile.

The festival kicks off Friday, October 17, with a special dinner and lecture by Dr. Josh Lively.

He’s one of the stars of the BBC’s Walking with Dinosaurs show, which came out this summer. 

“So, as the state’s official Natural History Museum, we want to showcase all of the cool things that we have here in Pocatello at the Idaho Museum of Natural History, that you can’t find anywhere else in the state,” said Robert Gay, Education Manager at the Idaho Museum of Natural History. “And we’ve got a great collection of fossils from across the state here. So Fall Fossil Fest as a way to showcase all of these things to the public and bring in all the experts so that people around the state can see what we have going on here.”

Tickets are sold out for Friday’s event, but some slots are available for Saturday’s event. 

And if you miss it, they will be hosting the event again next year. 

Click here to follow the original article.

City of Coachella H to ‘Tree for All’ event at Bagdouma Park

KESQ-Newsroom

 COACHELLA, Calif. (KESQ) – The city of Coachella is inviting the community to a “tree for all” event this weekend.

There will be 58 total trees planted by attending guests.

The city secured $35,000 of funding for these trees through the Imperial Irrigation District’s Public Green Space grant titled “Tree for All.”

You can help beautify at the Bagdouma Park this Saturday from 7 A.M. to 10 A.M.

Refreshments and free giveaways will be provided to attendees at the event.

Click here to follow the original article.

Traffic Alert: Crash closes Forest Road 34 near Riverside Campground

Seth Ratliff

FREMONT COUNTY, Idaho (KIFI) — Fremont County Emergency Management is reporting a crash along National Forest Road 34 (NF-34) near the Riverside Campground. The incident has completely blocked the roadway in both directions near milepost 375 of US Highway 20.

Emergency managers are currently on the scene and are urging all drivers in the area to use caution and expect delays.

Details surrounding the crash are limited. There is no indication at this time as to how many vehicles were involved or any potential injuries.

This is a developing story. Local News 8 will provide an update as more information becomes available.

Click here to follow the original article.

St. Joseph secures $252K in federal funding to improve pedestrian safety  

Praji Ghosh

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (News-Press NOW) —  The City of St. Joseph just got a boost to make walking and biking a little safer. Thanks to more than $250,000 in federal funding, a new initiative called Safe Crossings of St. Joseph is set to begin taking shape. 

The money comes from the Transportation Alternatives Program, run through MoDOT, which supports projects designed to improve pedestrian and bicycle facilities.  

In St. Joseph’s case, the focus is on making it easier—and safer—for people on foot to get across busy streets.  

Transportation Planner Max Scheiber explained, the project will begin with upgrades at Krug Park and Hyde Park. The plan includes installing rectangular rapid flashing beacons, as well as a pedestrian hybrid beacon at Spring Garden Road. These devices are designed to catch drivers’ attention when someone needs to cross.  

“It will basically be a button that pedestrians can press to alert drivers that they’re trying to cross the road. Right now, the crossing system is based on a wire; we are planning to change that with a button,” Scheiber said.  

Before any construction can begin, though, there are several steps left. The city needs to finalize a contract with MoDOT, get approval from the city council and then put the project out for bid. Scheiber said those conversations with council members are critical for moving the funding forward and officially launching the effort.  

This push for safer crossings ties into a bigger conversation happening citywide. Earlier this year, transportation planner Jackson Lohman helped organize an open house for the 2050 Metropolitan Transportation Plan. Residents made it clear they want more done to protect pedestrians.  

“I think it’s significant because it initiates an effort to make foot travel safer in the St. Joseph community, and there’s a lot of areas of concern, specifically with pedestrian traffic that are highly trafficked via foot,” Lohman said.  

Lohman pointed out Krug Park as one area where changes will be especially visible. Alongside the beacon upgrades, the park is slated for $12.8 million in renovations. Plans call for adding new sidewalks that better connect the park to surrounding streets and a splash pad where the pool once stood. 

The hope is that by layering these improvements—better crossings, safer walkways and updated park facilities—residents will feel more confident walking and enjoying community spaces.  

“We hope that these systems really produce results in terms of getting drivers who yield for people crossing the street so that we can implement more of them for the people in the city,” Lohman said.  

Lohman admitted the process won’t be without challenges. Changing driver behavior is never easy, and the city may face hurdles in getting motorists to consistently yield. He said the department is committed to pairing the new infrastructure with education efforts to help smooth the transition. 

After speaking with the St. Joseph Police Department, Sgt. Patrick Zeamer said, once the project is approved, its main focus will be on enforcing the rules around those new crossings — and making sure the community understands how to use them safely.  

“If people are violating those areas, it would be stopping them, giving warnings or ticketing for those violations,” said Zeamer. “If an accident was to occur, there will be charges imposed on the individual that could be considered criminal.” 

Zeamer also reminded folks to be extra cautious in those areas, especially while work is still underway. 

He said people should avoid crossing behind parked cars and try to stay as visible as possible — that means avoiding dark clothes and staying out of those zones at night whenever possible.  

“The cars are getting bigger and they’re going faster and doing more damage per se, to the pedestrian, causing more injuries. So we are just trying to make it safer for the general public and giving them more areas to cross as safely as possible,” Zeamer said.  

Zeamer said the intersections involved in the city-wide project are considered pretty dangerous and high-risk.

The grant will add a new Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) at St. Joseph Avenue at Krug Park/Parkway Trail and at Hyde Park Avenue near Hyde Park and Benton High School. It will also replace an outdated pedestrian signal with a Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon (PHB) at Spring Garden Middle School.

The project is expected to be completed in the spring of 2026.

Click here to follow the original article.

Moberly man accused of crashing into car, smashing windshield with piece of metal

Ryan Shiner

COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)

A Moberly man was arrested and charged after he allegedly followed a vehicle containing multiple people, ramming into it with his vehicle and hitting it with a piece of metal.

Alexander McConnell, 22, was charged with first-degree domestic assault, two counts of first-degree assault and a count of first-degree property damage. He is being held at the Randolph County Jail on a $50,000 bond. An arraignment is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Monday.

The probable cause statement says McConnell started following the victim’s vehicle after seeing them driving on the road. He was previously in a relationship with one of the occupants of the vehicle, the statement says. The driver tried to get away by driving on a gravel road, that they did not realize was a dead end, the statement says.

McConnell then allegedly rammed his SUV into the victim’s vehicle, got out of the SUV and started hitting a window and demanding someone “step out of the vehicle so they could have a conversation,” the statement says. He then allegedly started hitting the windshield with a piece of metal after they refused, the statement says.

Deputies saw the damaged vehicle, along with the suspect weapon after McConnell left the scene. A tow truck driver allegedly told the deputy that the car was totaled, the statement says.

Click here to follow the original article.

Major disaster response, training drill planned at Redmond Municipal Airport; many agencies to take part

KTVZ

(Update: Adding video)

REDMOND, Ore. (KTVZ) — Redmond Municipal Airport and Redmond Fire & Rescue will conduct a full-scale emergency response disaster training drill Thursday, October 23, beginning at 8:30 a.m., as required by the Federal Aviation Administration. 

Several emergency response vehicles and personnel will be onsite, and RDM officials said in Thursday’s announcement that they “would like to reassure travelers the exercise will not impact commercial flight operations.”

Here’s the rest of what they shared:

The FAA requires airports to conduct realistic commercial passenger aircraft disaster training drills once every three years.  Approximately 75 participants will act as passengers with a wide variety of challenges including triage of realistic mock injuries, transportation of the injured, identification and reunification of passengers with their family.

RDM and Redmond Fire & Rescue have coordinated with multiple regional partners to practice, learn and prepare together, including: Black Butte Ranch Fire Department, Bend Fire Department, Sisters – Camp Sherman Fire District, Crook County Fire and EMS, Sunriver Fire Department, Crooked River Ranch Fire and Rescue, St. Charles Health System including all Redmond, Prineville, Madras and Bend campuses, Deschutes County Health Department, Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office including Search and Rescue (SAR), Oregon Health Authority, Life Flight, Air Link, The American Red Cross, Hillsboro Aero Academy’s Ascend Flight Student program, and local air carriers and the Transportation Security Administration representatives that serve RDM.

“Redmond Fire & Rescue personnel train year-round to ensure we respond with precision and professionalism. Participating in full-scale disaster exercises like this is vital for maintaining the readiness and coordination of all emergency response stakeholders. This exercise provides an opportunity for Redmond Fire & Rescue and the Redmond Municipal Airport to refine procedures and strengthen collaboration with public safety agencies, hospitals, and other support partners,” stated Fire Chief Ryan Herrera.

The airport will be open during the disaster drill exercise. Flight operations will not be impacted by the drill.

Click here to follow the original article.