Santa Barbara Students Learn The “Phones Off and Away” Policy for Classrooms on Day One

John Palminteri

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – In a program that has gained national attention, the Santa Barbara Unified School District with its “phones off and away” policy for classrooms continues with the start of the new school year.

In addition to cell phones, smart watches and headphones are not allowed during class time. 

Instruction began today.

Each high school room has a “cell phone hotel” where students can store their devices, but also have quick access to them in an emergency. 

The program has proven to be successful to keep the students focuses on their learning and minimize distractions.

At times phones can be used for instructional reasons but if not, they are in the hotel slots.

In the lower grades they are given a pouch that cancels out the signal and they are not able to get service. It stays there until school is out. It is not allowed during breaks.

They can also use the phone in an approved emergency.

The plan to limit cell phone use on campus has recently been praised by Governor Newsom.

At Santa Barbara High, the message about a no cell phone policy in classrooms has been shared with students and their parents.

There are penalties for those who try to use their phones or digital watches against the rules.

Last year the program was recognized by Governor Gavin Newsom.  He signed Assembly Bill  3216 requiring school districts to have a policy limiting cell phones on campus by July 1, 2026.

The time frame at La Colina Junior High is  8:50a.m. when they have their first class to  3:05 p.m. when they are let out.

Connor MacNaughton, an eighth grader gave us the rules as he was told by the school. “You’ll put your phone in the pouch, before the first bell rings at the start of the day and put it in the pouch in your backpack with the phone in it for the entire day. And then after the last bell rings, you can get it back.”

Principal Jennifer Foster said the program can help with learning and reducing distractions. “We’re using the pouches as more of a tool to help them manage those things.”

Overall there will be more traditional interaction. “It feels like it makes you more live and  in person and maybe fosters conversation and stuff like that,” said MacNaughton.

Max Quijano is an eighth grader who said, “I’ll probably just keep hanging out with my friends. Last year I didn’t really use my cell phone that much. I use it for music, so it won’t be that big of a difference.”

 MacNaughton said there are times when the phone helps him make a connection. “Sometimes you miss it because if you can’t find your friend, you need to text them and call them.”

 Santa Barbara Unified School Superintendent HIlda Maldonado said she has had good feedback. “Parents are thanking us. Teachers are thanking us. Obviously, our principals are also doing a great job promoting it. So, no, it’s not an area that I think anybody’s upset about .”

Without a phone there’s more critical thinking and reasoning  which are valuable school and life skills to develop early on. 

Foster says, “one of our goals here at La Colina this year is building that grit and perseverance skills. And you know, if something gets hard, they you stick with it.”

Santa Barbara Unified School District “Off and Away” policy from Superintendent Hilda Maldonado:

Dear Santa Barbara Unified School District Parents and Guardians,

I’m writing to you today to share important information about a new cell phone policy that will be in effect at Junior High Schools for the upcoming 2025-2026 school year. This change will be part of the registration process, which begins on July 1.

Our goal with this updated policy is to promote responsible and balanced technology use among our students, ensuring a focused learning environment for everyone.

Here’s a breakdown of the new policy:

2025-2026 Cell Phone and Electronic Device Policy

What’s New?

The most significant change for elementary and junior high schools is the introduction of an “Off & Away All Day” policy.

Elementary Schools: All cell phones and non-instructional electronic devices, such as earbuds, must be turned off and stored away from the official start of the school day until dismissal. This means these devices are not permitted for use at any time during the school day.

Junior High Schools: The same “Off & Away All Day” policy applies. Devices must remain off and put away from the start to the end of the school day. However, a junior high school may be exempt from this all-day policy if they submit and implement a plan for managing responsible device use on campus. This includes providing students with digital citizenship lessons throughout the school year.

High Schools: The policy remains similar to previous years. All cell phones and non-instructional electronic devices must be turned off and put away during class time. However, students may continue to use their devices before and after school, during passing periods, nutrition breaks, and lunch.

Why the Change?

This updated policy aims to minimize distractions in the classroom and promote a more engaged learning experience for all students. We believe that by creating clearer boundaries around device use, we can better support academic focus and positive social interactions during the school day.

Consequences for Non-Compliance

Failure to follow this policy will result in appropriate support and/or consequences. These may include a verbal warning, reteaching of expectations, a family conference, behavioral intervention support, confiscation of the device, or loss of privileges, depending on the student’s age, ability, and the frequency of the violation.

Health-Related and Accessibility Needs

We understand that some students may have a health-related or accessibility need that requires the use of a device. If this applies to your child, please inform their school or teacher so that appropriate accommodations can be made.

Registration Process to begin July 1

We encourage you to review the full policy during the registration process, which begins July 1. We appreciate your partnership in creating a productive and focused learning environment for our students. To learn more about registration, visit our Enrollment Website. If you have any questions, please contact the school office.

The Latest Breaking News, Weather Alerts, Sports and More Anytime On Our Mobile Apps. Keep Up With the Latest Articles by Signing Up for the News Channel 3-12 Newsletter.

Click here to follow the original article.